Can you run VC games off the SD cards? If so how?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Azadar, Apr 26, 2008.

Apr 26, 2008
  1. Azadar
    OP

Member Azadar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have removed all the channels and games from my Wii that Im not using. The Internal Wii memory now has 423 Blocks free. Im really only interested in N64 VC games but these seem to take up like 200+ block each.

So I notcied on my SD card I had over 5K free and I was wondering why I could not run VC games from the SD card?
    I tried to copy them over to the SD card and remove them from the Wii internal memory but no dice I can not see them anymore. Does anyone know if this is possible? and if so how do we use the SD card to store games

It looks like you can just copy them from the SD to the Wii memory and back to the SD card simply for storage not playing.

Hope I am wrong!

2. silvershadow

Member silvershadow GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    no, unfortunately, u are right. the sd card isnt really an EXPANSION to the wii's 512mb (what the hell were they thinking). the wii basically just has a card reader built in that u can copy things to and from the wii's memory.

some games, like smash bros, allows u to save things to the sd card though and read from sd card as well i believe:).

3. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    simply, no.

4. Azadar
    OP

Member Azadar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    what the hell do they plan to do when Wii-Ware titles come out!? WTF Nintendo even if I wantd to buy 30 games from VC i would be SOL...

5. Sir VG

Member Sir VG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    @Azadar

If you delete games you bought from the Wii Store, the Wii keeps a record of what you bought, so you can redownload it later for free. To my knowledge, this is done by keeping a ticket file on the Wii. It's not a file normally visible to the user, but you can see them if you do a full file system dump.

6. Giga_Gaia

Member Giga_Gaia Shinigami

Canada
    Pretty lame, you'd expect a new console to have more than 512 MB of internal memory, even USB drives of 512 MB are almost dead now.

7. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    Right ... one more time, for those who just got here ...

Nintendo never intended for the whole WiiWare thing ...

It was a 'late in the day' decision, to try to make a basic attempt at keeping up with Microsoft and Sony ...

They had been reluctant about online gaming, for a long time ... which is why they strangle it with things like Friend Code, which they pass off as a form of online security ...

The Wii console's lack of storage was not an over-sight on their part ... they never had any plans, until relatively recently, to have anything other than a small flow of downloadable games, all of which can be re-downloaded, if deleted, for free ...

8. Nio

Member Nio GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Downloaded for free? Well the internet is not free, i have to pay my provider .... so actually every re-download costs me money.

9. Sebastian25

Member Sebastian25 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ^ yeah 2 cents worth of bandwidth. get over it.

Nintendo will probably release a WII 2... I am almost certain of it. They will revamp the system just like they did with the ds lite.. and it will include more storage space.. thats IF wiiware is a success.