Can you run HomeBrew from...

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by gizmo_gal, Apr 17, 2008.

Apr 17, 2008
  1. gizmo_gal
    OP

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    This may sound dumb but I keep trying to run some homebrew from a DS emulator and...its not working for some reason.
    I think it only makes sense that you can run homebrew from an emulator but for some reason it isn't working for me.

I have No$GBA and was trying to look at some of the homebrew that I have already downloaded in anticipation of my flash cards including;
    DSOrganize, Beup--I didn't expect it to connect to the internet--a dictionary, two japanese teaching programs and two weather simulators.

I'm confused, I thought people used Emulators to program for the DS and THEN transferred it to a DS via some sort of external memory???? [​IMG]

2. TaeK

Member TaeK GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Uh... think of the No$GBA as a Nintendo DS system... you need a flash cart to use homebrew utilities, right?

3. xalphax

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    NO$GBA does run homebrew afaik.

4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    No$GBA runs homebrew files extremely well. What it doesn't emulate however is a homebrew device's microSD card and filesystem. Therefore, DSOrganize will boot but will complain about not finding the "DSOrganize" folder since no$GBA doesn't look for it. You could look into FCSR, which is a way to package all your necessary files into a single large *.nds file which no$GBA will run, but keep in mind the virtual filesystem will be read-only.

iDeaS emulates the filesystem if you patch your homebrew with the R4's DLDI file and check the appropriate option, while Desmume can also emulate the filesystem to a certain extent (not sure how much exactly).

5. gizmo_gal
    OP

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    Aaaahhh! Thanks so much! I dont have time to try this now but I'll be back to tinker with it later [​IMG]

The files mentioned--are they available in the GBATemp download database or should I google them?

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Honestly I have no clue, hehe. I haven't used the Download Center in ages. Googling should get you most of what you're looking for.

FCSR image creation can be done via the DLDIrc patcher program if you want, though for some reason it fails more often than doing it manually. However, doing it manually would be fairly difficult if you don't know what you're doing, and even then I doubt you'd get DSO to work with it given the high number of files it needs (more files = higher chance of failure). I mostly use it for things like testing MOD file players or embedding a couple of GBC games into a compilation to demo Lameboy on my computer in no$GBA.

The R4 DLDI file and DLDIrc can be obtained from the DLDI Wiki - http://dldi.drunkencoders.com

7. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Yes.