Hacking Can you run games from SD CARD?

NathanBrown

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Can you? I don't have a hard drive, but a 64 GB micro sd card that I was wondering if I could download wii u games, put them on there, and then run it? Unless someone wants to donate me their used old hard drive

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can find Loadiine games they work from sd card. They're sometimes slower than from a hard drive though like slow loading times, and they're harder to find because no one really uses Loadiine format anymore.

NathanBrown

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
If you can find Loadiine games they work from sd card. They're sometimes slower than from a hard drive though like slow loading times, and they're harder to find because no one really uses Loadiine format anymore.

Oh shit really? I hacked my wii u to run backups in like 2016-2017, and I remember Loadiine, thats what I used...damn its sad...

What are the formats in which I can find the games in? I've forgotton EVERYTHING

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can run games from the SD using Loadiine, as the previous post mentioned, but Loadiine is no longer recommended. It can have compatibility problems, poor loading speeds, no online play, etc.

However, if you have enough room on your system's internal storage, you can install games straight to the NAND from the SD card using a WUP installer. Go into your Data Management and check how much room you have.

Last edited by Lacius,

NathanBrown

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
You can run games from the SD using Loadiine, as the previous post mentioned, but Loadiine is no longer recommended. It can have compatibility problems, poor loading speeds, no online play, etc.

However, if you have enough room on your system's internal storage, you can install games straight to the NAND from the SD card. Go into your Data Management and check how much room you have.
I had the white wii u, less than 3 gigs of storage...
Anyway, I guess I will wait for a while to run it...

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the white wii u, less than 3 gigs of storage...
Anyway, I guess I will wait for a while to run it...
There are some games that are smaller than 3 GB. I don't know what it is you're wanting to play.

A simple USB thumb drive will also work just fine if you have one lying around somewhere, albeit the lifespan of the thumb drive will likely decrease the more it's used.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh shit really? I hacked my wii u to run backups in like 2016-2017, and I remember Loadiine, thats what I used...damn its sad...

What are the formats in which I can find the games in? I've forgotton EVERYTHING

Most likely wherever you find them they will tell you it's in Loadiine format, but they look like code, meta, content and go in Wiiu/games. You then just need Loadiine GX2 on your sd card in Wiiu/apps and run it from there.

NathanBrown

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
There are some games that are smaller than 3 GB. I don't know what it is you're wanting to play.

A simple USB thumb drive will also work just fine if you have one lying around somewhere, albeit the lifespan of the thumb drive will likely decrease the more it's used.
ok, and can you point me to a good place to retrive such games, such as a discord or a google drive?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, and can you point me to a good place to retrive such games, such as a discord or a google drive?
It's against the rules to show you where to download copyrighted material. That being said, most people just use Wii U USB Helper to download Wii U games directly from Nintendo's servers.

Is your plan to use a thumb drive?

NathanBrown

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
It's against the rules to show you where to download copyrighted material. That being said, most people just use Wii U USB Helper to download Wii U games directly from Nintendo's servers.

My plan is to...to...I guess at least download them for now and then find a thumb drive...

NathanBrown

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India

After my initial set up though, can I easily switch thumb drives and play games? Or do I need to turn off Wii U and perform some magic again?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After my initial set up though, can I easily switch thumb drives and play games? Or do I need to turn off Wii U and perform some magic again?
The games will be installed to the USB drive/thumb drive as though they were legitimately purchased from the eShop. That's why this method is recommended. You can also play online with the games. That being said, you have to power off the Wii U before switching USB devices.

If you are playing something other than a Wii U game that received a disc release (e.g. eShop-only games, Virtual Console, games with DLC), you will need to run CFW whenever you want to play them. Games that received disc releases don't require CFW to play. There are two options for CFW:
  1. Mocha (launched with the web browser)
  2. Haxchi/CBHC (launched with a legitimate DS VC game)
CBHC launches automatically whenever you turn on the system.

Last edited by Lacius,

NathanBrown

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
The games will be installed to the USB drive/thumb drive as though they were legitimately purchased from the eShop. That's why this method is recommended. You can also play online with the games. That being said, you have to power off the Wii U before switching USB devices.

If you are playing something other than a Wii U game that received a disc release (e.g. eShop-only games, Virtual Console, games with DLC), you will need to run CFW whenever you want to play them. Games that received disc releases don't require CFW to play. There are two options for CFW:
  1. Mocha (launched with the web browser)
  2. Haxchi/CBHC (launched with a legitimate DS VC game)
CBHC launches automatically whenever you turn on the system.
gucci mate thank you. I'll probably just backup my own games, that don't require DLC. I won't have eshop only or virtual console.

Also, is it possible to have a micro sd card with a usb adapter? Does that count as a thumb drive?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gucci mate thank you. I'll probably just backup my own games, that don't require DLC. I won't have eshop only or virtual console.
eShop-only games and VC games are fine, but you will just have to run CFW before you play them. It's not a major inconvenience, and CBHC launches automatically unnoticed.

I personally use Mocha, because I'm too frugal to buy a DS VC game.

Also, is it possible to have a micro sd card with a usb adapter? Does that count as a thumb drive?
Some people have had success, and others have not. It depends on the SD card, adapter, etc. There's no reason not to try.

A problem you might run into is the read/write speed of the adapter. If it's too low, you're going to run into long loading times.

NathanBrown

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
eShop-only games and VC games are fine, but you will just have to run CFW before you play them. It's not a major inconvenience, and CBHC launches automatically unnoticed.

I personally use Mocha, because I'm too frugal to buy a DS VC game.

Some people have had success, and others have not. It depends on the SD card, adapter, etc. There's no reason not to try.

A problem you might run into is the read/write speed of the adapter. If it's too low, you're going to run into long loading times.
Oh I got rejected by USB Helper...

Also, is it safe to download from USB Helper on a public or school wifi?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

NathanBrown

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you? I don't have a hard drive, but a 64 GB micro sd card that I was wondering if I could download wii u games, put them on there, and then run it? Unless someone wants to donate me their used old hard drive
only with loadiine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol