Hacking Can you play MP3 music files with the Wood Firmware?

MidLifeCrisis98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, just changed my kids R4 to the Wood firmware but have lost the ability to play MP3's. Anyone know of a way I can play MP3's with the Wood firmware?

BTW - Great forum

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Install Moonshell2.10 stable.
It's the only way I know to play MP3 files on an R4...

EDIT:
Download this:
http://filetrip.net/f12830-MoonShell-2-10-...Package%29.html

Put in in the ROOT of your card. That means in no folder.

But I should warn you that the DS quality isn't too much. it can play files correctly and yeah it does work wonders, but when you have an iPod/Mp4/cellphone lying around it isn't necessary..

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Rydian said:
Most R4 carts liked to include moonshell anyways (though sometimes an old version), when you went to play media did it like, totally change the flash cart's interface? If so it was probably moonshell.

I assume that when he installed WoodR4 he formatted the card, thus losing the moonshell it was previously installed and the ability to playback Mp3 files.
To be honest I can't even remember how did moonshell 1.6 used to look at all.. ._.

MidLifeCrisis98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't reformat the card, but I did delete all folders except for the Music and DS Games. I copied the Moonshl folder back onto the card from a backup and it didn't work. I will try to download from the link Alex provided and let you know.

Thanks for the quick response!

MidLifeCrisis98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Works, thanks for your help. Setup.exe would not run, but just copied the Moonshl2 folder and moonshl2.nds file into the root.

You just made my 9 year old a happy boy.

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
MidLifeCrisis98 said:
I didn't reformat the card, but I did delete all folders except for the Music and DS Games. I copied the Moonshl folder back onto the card from a backup and it didn't work. I will try to download from the link Alex provided and let you know.

Thanks for the quick response!

QUOTE(MidLifeCrisis98 @ Mar 11 2011, 01:33 AM) Works, thanks for your help. Setup.exe would not run, but just copied the Moonshl2 folder and moonshl2.nds file into the root.

You just made my 9 year old a happy boy.

Umm.. that's why you lost the ability to playback music files xDD
You deleted moonshell.
I'm not too sure why it didn't work as it should have, did you have enough free space on your HDD while extracting it?

Thing is, Moonshell backups don't work that way. they have to be installed from an executable .nds file. so copying back an older version/backup would not work. as the first time that moonshell initializes it creates more files. (it kind of extracts itself)

And you're welcome, I'm glad I could be of help haha ^^ (I'm 16 years old if you were wondering
tongue.gif
)
Be sure to at least have 30mb+ on your microSD. so that moonshell doesn't crash. (And IIRC if the mSD doesn't have enough free space it won't boot)

Happy I did that. remember that you can also play .DPG video files. in case you or your kid want to see movies or music videos on the DS...
There are several converters around the web you can use. I personally use Xilisoft DPG converter.

MidLifeCrisis98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Aside from playing the odd racing game, I don't use the DS and until yesterday didn't know how to play an MP3 on the old firmware. Guess I have 6 years to wait until my son supports his own video games. ;-)

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
MidLifeCrisis98 said:
Aside from playing the odd racing game, I don't use the DS and until yesterday didn't know how to play an MP3 on the old firmware. Guess I have 6 years to wait until my son supports his own video games. ;-)

Odd racing game!? xDDD
I bet my ass that was MarioKartDS :X

Or you could keep asking us, it's no problem to reply to any doubt you may have. as we like to help people. ^^ (most of us anyway)

MidLifeCrisis98

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
LOL - actually I play motorcycle racing games MX-ATV Reflex & Untaimed and some other motorcycle racing games.

Help is greatly appreciated. I don't know what's worse, paying ~$30 for a game, or having your kids loose them (or having the dog chew them when there left on the floor). Also, the R4 allows each of my 3 kids to have a copy of the game, so there is no fighting about who's playing what. I wish I was bright enough to contribute to the help on this site. Maybe someday ;-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu