Can you play GBA games on CycloDS?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by SectionX, Dec 6, 2010.

1. SectionX
    OP

SectionX GBAtemp Fan

May 26, 2004
    My friend have a cyclods card, and he is wondering if he can somehow play GBA "backup" games on it? Is there a GBA loader or something?

2. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    No. You need to have the EZ Flash 3-in-1.

There are some ds flashcards that can play GBA roms without the use EZ Flash such as the DSTWO and iPlayer/iSmart.

3. Vigilante

Vigilante TempLurker

Jan 1, 2010
    CyberSpace IQ:OVER 9000
    No I think only in supercard ds2

4. ProtoKun7

ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

Global Moderator
    Jan 3, 2009
    Gallifrey
    You can load them using the GUI but you will need a 3in1 or similar slot-2 expansion to run them.

In terms of emulation, the iEvolution should be able to at some point. Other cards like the DS Two, as mentioned, will emulate GBA already.

5. impizkit

impizkit Lazy Lurker

Apr 6, 2010
    iPlayer, DSTWO and I Smart can play GBA natively. CycloDS iEvolution should be shipping in second week of December, which is this week. Doubtful that will happen.

6. Necoconeco

Necoconeco Banned

Banned
    Aug 13, 2010
    United States
    Just as everyone else says, you need a EZ 3in1.

With a few exceptions, like the extra power in DSi Player (Not a flashcart) and DSTwo, Emulating GBA through a Slot 1 cart on the DS is impossible.

What the Cyclo does is, it uses its GUI to load the GBA rom into the EZ 3in1, and then the 3in1 runs the rom off it's memory as a GBA game in GBA mode.

Once in GBA mode, the Cyclo part of this process is dead. You can even take the Cyclo out and the game is running. Once you start Cyclo again, it copies the temporary save file of the GBA game you played, and stores it on your SD card.

EZ 3in1 doesn't have a GUI of its own to my knowledge; it just does all the GBA work while Cyclo is the manager.

7. Langin

Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    Emulation trough slot one is possible, but you will need a flashcard with built in cpu(so it produces more powerrrr) like
    If you have a normal card like a cyclo, then you will need a slot 2 flashcard as mentioned above.

8. Wolvenreign

Wolvenreign Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    For future reference, these kinds of questions need to be asked/read at AskGBATemp.

9. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
    This question in particular should never be asked at all. It's like the number one rule of flash carts.

10. impizkit

impizkit Lazy Lurker

Apr 6, 2010
    Unless its got a CPU like the DSTWO, ISmart, EX4DS or iEvo(if it is real).

11. mkoo

mkoo GBAtemp Fan

Aug 30, 2007
    DSTWO and similar actually emulate using on board CPU?

I seems to remember a proof of concept video about someone running GBA code from Slot-1 via hypervisor ?
    Edit: On a second thought it should be what enabled DSTWO to emulate gba lol

What I meant was possibility of a slot1 card accessing DS phat and DS lite's native gba mode capability.

12. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Can't run slot-2 mode from slot-1.

You need the pack because the slot-1 card sends the data to slot-2 and then boots it.

13. Knyaz Vladimir

Knyaz Vladimir 3DS Hacker

Apr 18, 2009
    Canada
    Unconfirmed
    Also, there's not enough RAM on the DS to be able to play the better games, all RAM is in the cartridges.

14. Wolvenreign

Wolvenreign Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat

Jul 7, 2008
    United States
    Indianapolis, IN
    No, seriously, this sort of "rule one" thing is what AskGBATemp was invented for.