Can you play gamecube games on the wii u game pad?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by drazenm, Nov 4, 2015.

1. drazenm
    OP

drazenm Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2008
    United States
    Cant find the answer anywhere so just to ask, if i hack my wii u can i play gamecube games on the wii u game pad screen using the wiiu game pad commands etc?

Thank you ^_^

2. dontay0100

dontay0100 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2007
    United States
    Not Yet!

3. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Think you can play them on the gamepad screen, but not using the gamepad controls.

4. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Regular

Apr 5, 2013
    United States
    This is true. You cannot and will not be able to play Gamecube games with the gamepad unless/until a Gamecube loader is released for Wii U mode. (Not sure if this is plausible or even possible, but it's unlikely to be any time soon.)

5. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Yes and no. You can play on the screen so you don't have to have the TV on, but vWii does not yet (and maybe never will) accept input from the Gamepad

6. Davor

Davor Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2015
    As far as I know, those games are Virtual Console games. They are installed on WiiU, not vWii, and they are adapted to be compatible with (and make use of) WiiU gamepad.

Best regards,
    Davor

7. LoganK93

LoganK93 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 5, 2012
    United States
    I thought it was discovered that they acted more like a "shortcut" of sorts and that it boots into a hybrid wii/Wii U mode of sorts.

8. Davor

Davor Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2015
    Well, as I said, as far as I know. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought there are some VC games that utilize a gamepad screen, and if there are, it would not be possible to accomplish that without adapting them. This is what they say about the VC games on the Nintendo site:

Classics Made Better
    When you download a classic title from the Nintendo eShop, it'll include new features that take advantage of your Wii U console's capabilities.​

Again, I could be wrong, just shared my thoughts on that.

9. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    In theory, yes, but in practice it's a lot harder to do because of the cafe2wii only working one way (we lose all support for Wii U hax upon entering the Wii game and can only access Wii hax if we exit the Wii game). Plus, I believe it was found that the games are packaged in a sort of vWii "wrapper", meaning they don't exactly boot into vWii so much as temporarily create a small virtual machine to run itself in. (Think WINE)