Can you name a game (series) where the Original is better than the sequel(s)?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Tons of them, sure.

Dragon Age Origins > DA2
F.E.A.R > FEAR 2 and 3
XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within >>>>> XCOM 2
The Darkness >>>>>>> The Darkness 2
Star Wars The Forced Unleashed > SWTFU 2
Dead Space > 2 and 3
MGS1 >>>>>>>>>>> MGS 2 forever

etc etc etc etc

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Super Mario Bros > Super Mario bros 2 (I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet)
Zelda > Link's adventure
Pac-man > miss Pac-man (okay, I'm being chauvinistic here, but c'mon: it was just the same game)
Bioshock > bioshock 2 (there: I've said it! :P )
Haven't played either, but I hear Kane & Lynch 2 was so bad that the original was better roughly by default.

A hard one is C&C. Tiberian sun was an extreme let-down over the original C&C, but in a way, red alert was more the direct sequel (which was IMHO better than C&C in the gameplay department)

On the other hand...the easiest isn't mentioned either:
Duke nukem 3D >>>>>>>>> Duke nukem forever

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Are there originals that are better than sequels?" is just a rephrasing of "Do humans make mistakes sometimes?"

now... find me a game that's better than its predecessor AND sequel, then we're in business.

D

Deleted User

"Are there originals that are better than sequels?" is just a rephrasing of "Do humans make mistakes sometimes?"

now... find me a game that's better than its predecessor AND sequel, then we're in business.
I thought that Style Savvy: Trendsetters/New Style Boutique was better than both Style Savvy/Style Boutique and New Style Boutique 2.
Style Savvy got a little boring after a while due to the fact that it was in real time. New Style Boutique 2 brought some improvements to the series (such as reintroducing having the game in real time, though doing it in such a way that didn't make you feel bored after playing for a while or while playing at night) though it had this really weird dollhouse aesthetic that I couldn't stand, and the whole game was extremely girly, which sounds like something you'd expect for a game that's about owning a clothing boutique, but the past two games weren't actually too terribly girly in comparison.

Reactions: frogboy

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Persona 3 to Persona 4
Smash Melee to Smash Brawl
Touhou 7.5 Immaterial and Missing Power to Touhou 10.5 Scarlet Weather Rapsody and Touhou 12.3 Hisoutensoku (12.3 is basically a expansion pack to 10.5)
Metroid Prime to Metroid Prime 2
Starfox to Starfox 64
Pokemon RSE to Pokemon DPPt
Demon's Souls to Dark Souls

Last edited by Sakitoshi,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smash Melee to Smash Brawl
Wavedash perfect pivot Fox only L-cancel shining Wombo Combo 20XX, right?

Melee was only really better for the competitive aspects of it anyways - Brawl had Subspace, more characters, maps, etc. And yeah, it had tripping, but that alone doesn't make the game horrible.

edit: Brawl had a Stage Builder too.

And an exploit.

Last edited by CeeDee,
Reactions: VinsCool

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Wavedash perfect pivot Fox only L-cancel shining Wombo Combo 20XX, right?

Melee was only really better for the competitive aspects of it anyways - Brawl had Subspace, more characters, maps, etc. And yeah, it had tripping, but that alone doesn't make the game horrible.
No, I'm no competitive try hard and don't even know how to do those tricks. Hell I even think is cheating because all that is the product of a glitch.
But the gameplay of brawl was too casual, they messed up physics in a way that everything feels weird and floaty, even the speed has changed and is slower. The cherry on top of all that is the random tripping. Melee feels just right to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs