Hacking Can you make the R4 GUI less complicated?

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, but couldn't you just tell them to stay the hell away from the delete button?

Do people really have to have their hand held for every little thing? It's 3 buttons, then a few directional button pad presses and a few "A" key presses, as long as they stay away from the delete key they'll be fine.

I agree with 111111111, nobody can be that slow, not even old people (unlike jweaver said).

Seriously, I worked out how to use an R4 within a few minutes, I even reccomended a computer illiterate friend to get one, even he worked it out within a few minutes.

The 'computer illiterate friend' of yours that you 'reccomended' the R4 too probably isn't too computer illiterate. I'll use the bittorrent protocol once again as my example: can you explain to me everything that has to deal with the protocol?

I can't call someone slow because they can't understand how bittorrent works, even though I find it very simple. You kids need to grow up and talk to some one that isn't loser.

Once again jweaver - I'm sorry if this is what you think everyone on GBAtemp is like. I promise you that not everyone are like these select few.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You might think that everything relating with computers is simple.
I don't think that at all.

You can't call someone slow because they can't understand something you can.
I can call someone slow if after explaining something to them (maybe a couple of times) they still can't do it. That's the definition of slow. Someone who doesn't pick up things fast.

You must never have dealt with anyone that isn't a geek before (y'know, normal people)
I'm not a geek and am a normal person - I've nowhere claimed I'm any more than sub-literate when it comes to using a PC.

Not everyone can understand the concept of 'views' 'directories' and 'files'. My aunt just got a new laptop a few weeks ago, and yesterday, she phoned me up and asked me how to open up the internet.
And a laptop is far more complicated than an r4 with 3 buttons.

You must think that you're really smart, because for some reason you feel the need not only to insult everyone who can't understand a GUI.
Again, quite the opposite. I know I'm not "really smart". they are your definitions you are trying to push on me, and it doesn't fit.

Can you explain to me how the entire bittorrent protocol works?
It's hardly rocket science. you send data to me, I send it to you with a server acting as an intermediary. as I said, you hardly need to be "uber-l33t hax0r k-r4d" to know that, you don't even need to know what a pc is - just read about it for 60seconds.

Believe it or not, there are people who are both more and less computer literate than you
Have an award for stating the obvious. There are people slimmer than me (the swines!!) and people fatter. what does that have to do with how incredibly easy the r4 gui is for even a toddler?

You're such an annoying, arrogant, little prick that I wish I could reach through the monitor and punch you in the face.
LOL! now you are showing yourself to be the nerd. pc-rage, as can only be demonstrated by nerds. never mind darling you'll grow out of it one day.

To correct you, I'm an annoying, arrogant (the phrase you are looking for is confident and self-assured) large prick. k?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Sorry, but couldn't you just tell them to stay the hell away from the delete button?

Do people really have to have their hand held for every little thing? It's 3 buttons, then a few directional button pad presses and a few "A" key presses, as long as they stay away from the delete key they'll be fine.

I agree with 111111111, nobody can be that slow, not even old people (unlike jweaver said).

Seriously, I worked out how to use an R4 within a few minutes, I even reccomended a computer illiterate friend to get one, even he worked it out within a few minutes.

The 'computer illiterate friend' of yours that you 'reccomended' the R4 too probably isn't too computer illiterate. I'll use the bittorrent protocol once again as my example: can you explain to me everything that has to deal with the protocol?

I can't call someone slow because they can't understand how bittorrent works, even though I find it very simple. You kids need to grow up and talk to some one that isn't loser.

Once again jweaver - I'm sorry if this is what you think everyone on GBAtemp is like. I promise you that not everyone are like these select few.

What does bittorrent have to do with using an R4?

Download gaems, extract gaems, drag and drop gaems, put microsd into R4 gaems, turn on the DS and tap the first button, navigate with the D-Pad and "A" button.

Also:

The 'computer illiterate friend' of yours that you 'reccomended' the R4 too probably isn't too computer illiterate.

He's probably the most computer illiterate person I know.

Also, I've just thought of somthing, why not just make a very simple basic skin that contains all the information needed to navigate the GUI as a background picture?

Daidojih

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
But these are women, who arn't at all computer literate (or intersted)..

Just removing the comma would have saved you a lot of grief XD

lol I had to comment on that.

Anyways I don't know if it has already been mentioned but why not rename the braintraining.nds (or whatever) into default.nds?

Lost Racer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a lot of misconceptions regarding what he's trying to do here.

jweaver- I've hidden the system files and put them on my kids' ds's just fine. The reason you see them faint is becasue you have the "Show system files" checked instead of hidden.

You can also set it on the DS which was mentioned earlier so it only shows the game files. You might want to make mention that if they "accidentally" (that seems to be the term everyone keeps missing in these arguments) press one of the other buttons, not to panic. Panic causes chaos.

For her parents. Talk them through it over the phone. Have your DS in hand so you can give them a play by play. If need be have them push buttons to see what they can do. But panic is your worst enemy.

As far as the arguments go about "slowness". Its not about being slow. Its about being introduced to something new for the very first time. Not everyone learns at the same rate of speed. Fast to you may be considered slow to someone else. Its all relative. The Bittorrent comment was used as an example. An example doesn't have to do exactly with the subject you're talking about. In the case the R4. It was used to show if trying to explain a new subject to someone they won't always get it the first time around if they have no prior knowledge of it. You may have to explain it a couple times. That doesn't make them slow. Simply because slow is a relative term.

jweaver- Good luck. All of GBA is not like this. Just keep a cool head and the bad seeds will sprout on their own.

For example. Go check out the thread about the newly designed DS coming out. Egged faces everywhere.

jweaver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

jweaver- I've hidden the system files and put them on my kids' ds's just fine. The reason you see them faint is becasue you have the "Show system files" checked instead of hidden.

Many thanks for that... I understand why my PC is showing them 'Feint', as I have "show hidden" and "show system" set in my Explorer properties.

But I have confirmed that the files are truely hidden in windows (and in DOS too).. Here:

I:\>attrib
A H I:\_DS_MENU.SYS
A H I:\_DS_MENU.DAT
A H I:\_DS_MSHL.nds

All of these files have the 'Hidden' attribute set, but they are still visible on my R4 when I am in 'file' view!!

I am obviously missing something really simply, but I can't work it out.. Perhaps this means that I am "slow"
smile.gif

Jon

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bearing in mind that a lot of people in this world have no idea what a 'directory' or 'file' is, its easy to see how they might be confused.

Well, if you want try something more simple, think of the micro SD card a s file cabinet (yes, the big fat metal cabinets). Now in them holds folders (in a OS its a "directory"), in the folders are files. Many files can be stored in a folder like games, apps...etc... The same could even be said about a computer hard drive.

As for the files, why not change the system files/folders to hidden and read-only? and the *.NDS files to read-only (not the save files since those change and need accessing)? Although i haven't tried the read-only i dunno if it will for sure work, but it should solve the deleting of needed games if it does indeed work, if they delete there .SAV its not as big of a deal cause they can create a new one.

EDIT: READ-ONLY doesn't work with the R4DS, Wonder how hard it would be to remove the function from the kernel. I don't know code so i'm no help there.

Lost Racer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Many thanks for that... I understand why my PC is showing them 'Feint', as I have "show hidden" and "show system" set in my Explorer properties.

But I have confirmed that the files are truely hidden in windows (and in DOS too).. Here:

All of these files have the 'Hidden' attribute set, but they are still visible on my R4 when I am in 'file' view!!

I am obviously missing something really simply, but I can't work it out.. Perhaps this means that I am "slow"
smile.gif

Jon

When you're in "File" View and you look at the top of the screen it tells you which view you're using. If you press the select button it will cycle you through the views.."Files"-"Games"-"Ebook"-and "Saves"

Which ever one you have it set on should be the only files to display other than folders.

GBA_Temper

*KING OF GBATEMP*
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why I am rising to this, but I feel obligued to say again!. They CAN work it out. The WILL work it out... I was trying to make life easy for them!
But incidently.. What if we were taking about your grandparents? Does that make them slow, but because they won't understand the R4? The reason I ask this is that my girlfriend would like to buy a DS for her Parents (Who are grandparents age).. They wouldn't have a clue, but I would like them too have a DS as I think there are few games that 'old timers' might apprecaite. Since they are pensioners, I would like to set them up with a bunch of titles on an R4 and leave it to them to enjoy themselves.. They would never have to worry about adding more ROMs, or worry about saves.. They could just use it and enjoy it... With the R4 in its current form, I am not ashamed to admit that they will not understand it.. Well they will initally, until they press the wrong button and the entire list disspears, or they manage to delete some valuable system files.. Oh yes.. I forgot to say, they live 500 miles away, so I stand NO chance of fixing it for them!

Are you calling them slow?? If so, you really have offended me!

There ARE people out there, who are probably a lot older and perhaps even more intelegant that you, then MAY find the GUI or the whole R4 concept confusing.. But does that make them slow?? I don't think so!

What do you want, a pat on the back because you understand technology.. If so.. Consider this a pat on the back.. Well done!

In all my years on forums, i have never encountered such a group of patronising people!

Jon

I'm sorry that there were so many unhelpful members. But you have to remember that one temper's actions do not necessarily represent the entire if GBAtemp.

As for your problem - there isn't a way to hide all of the files from view on the DS, they are still visible. Does locking the file and setting it as read-only work? Or does it still allow the R4 to delete the vital system files?

If only the R4 team would open source their firmware, we wouldn't have these problems.
dry.gif

As for the problems with directories and such - I'd just suggest keeping all the games in the root, that way when you click the Games button in the menu all the games will just be there, instead of making them dig through the directories.

-I would like to know how to do that too.. (Anyone want to call me stupid?)

QUOTE(iritegood @ Nov 21 2007, 05:11 PM)The 'computer illiterate friend' of yours that you 'reccomended' the R4 too probably isn't too computer illiterate. I'll use the bittorrent protocol once again as my example: can you explain to me everything that has to deal with the protocol?

I really don't know why there are so many new gbatempers coming in with this nasty attitude, but jweaver I apologize for there non since.. I still wonder do the new comers have any bounds (limitations) to their stupidness answers/bashes towered other new members. ..well if you one of the newcomers that is doing this maybe you should read my SIG> BELOW
mad.gif

EDIT:s error

jweaver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

smile.gif

Jon

When you're in "File" View and you look at the top of the screen it tells you which view you're using. If you press the select button it will cycle you through the views.."Files"-"Games"-"Ebook"-and "Saves"

Which ever one you have it set on should be the only files to display other than folders.

I realise that you can change the 'view' by pressing select.. But the common consensus is that IF you set the 'Hidden' attribute under Windows, it will NEVER show the file on the R4 GUI.

From the tests I have done, this is NOT the case.. If I hide the system files, they dont' appear when you are looking at the EBOOK/GAME/SAVE view, but they wouldn't as they don't fit this critera.. But when you select 'All' you still see them.. The point is that people have said (and its shown in the FAQ) that if you 'hide' them they won't appear, even under the 'All' view!

Jon

ZPE

Trophies
Website
zpte.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Aw come on. It isn't that hard to use the R4...lol!

Yes I'm lolling at everyone that can't operate a simple GUI.

THats not really fair.. I am not saying that they cant' use the GUI.. I agree that its not that difficult.. But these are women, who arn't at all computer literate (or intersted).. And if you know women, you will know that if something frustrates them, they will simply not use it because they don't understand... Believe me its true.. My ex-wife refused to use Sky+ for 6 months because it failed to record something on QVC ONCE!

I was simply asking whether it was possible to remove some features, to make life a little bit easier.

I realise that the answer is no, so thats the end of it.

Thanks

Jon

Lol Sky + (bad memories...>.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
I have told every one of them to get an R4, and have shown them how to use it... As we know, its fairly simple IF you are computer literate.. For them, they can just about understand it, but for their wifes? No chance.

A have a small problem with this.

The simplest possible solution to the literacy problem is solved by buying the games. You said it yourself - they're only interested in a few games, and "touch generations" games don't cost much anyway. Less than an R4 anyway. You would also be away from the plague of all the freezing / not working errors which all R4 users seem to get, especially if you stick the thing in a pocket / bag on sleep mode and the MicroSD gets jogged.

Seriously.
lecture.gif

Fragout

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess the easiest solution is to gather both your colleagues and their wives for a lunch/BBQ/dinner go wild, to give them ALL a tutor in using the R4 and operating the games and MULTI-PLAYER~!
yaynds.gif

94dan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm... I'm lost.

If you just need to hide the files in R4, use DSOrganize.

No matter what, though, you will always see everything in File mode. Always.

Nio

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Really, thats so stupid!

You need to download the roms, you need to copy them to the very tiny microSD you need to start them you need to play them.

Whats the most complicative part in this chain?
Definitly not the rom starting part.

paul1991

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its probably a silly question, but I will ask anyway.

I know of 3 colleagues who are buying DS-Lites for their Wifes/Girlfriends purely for "Brain Training".. I also know of several other people who are interested for similar reasons.

I have told every one of them to get an R4, and have shown them how to use it... As we know, its fairly simple IF you are computer literate.. For them, they can just about understand it, but for their wifes? No chance.

I just wondered it there is a feature (perhap a skin) which can make the functionality more simple.. I just need something which will display a list of games without any ability to delete files, change sort orders, or directories.

Ideally it needs to be more like the way that my old Supercard worked.

Is this at all possible?

Jon

Sounds like you need an Ncard!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters