Can you make the 3DS play games at 60FPS?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Jackson Ferrell, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Jackson Ferrell
    OP

Jackson Ferrell Naked Banana

Nov 28, 2015
    Australia
    I was wondering, now that the 3DS is pretty much an open book, can the cap on frames be upped to 60fps on an N3DS(for example, Monster Hunter, Xenoblade, etc)? I know that Citra can run them at 60fps (different story as it's a PC application), but I don't know if the 3DS/N3DS can have the framerates changed.

Last edited by Jackson Ferrell, Jun 10, 2017
  2. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    With a powerful enough PC, sure.

TCJJ and Asia81 like this.
  3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    With the system itself, we would have to actually allocate more resources to the game(s) in order for that to happen. And there's still no guarantee that every game will work and or if they will even work at all.

4. Jackson Ferrell
    OP

Nov 28, 2015
    Australia
    Is that practically possible at the moment?

Last edited by Jackson Ferrell, Jun 10, 2017
  5. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    In theory one could set the clock speed higher as well setup similar reboot patches to shutdown unneeded background garbage (like the web browser, Miiverse, etc.) then reallocate those resources to the games themselves. But that's an entirely theoretical idea and there's no promise something like that can be done. Running the system on max clock speed already has issues with some games, a setup like this could cause issues to entire system.

Jackson Ferrell likes this.
  6. Jackson Ferrell
    OP

Nov 28, 2015
    Australia
    Ah ok, thanks

7. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Of course, don't go quoting me on this, it's a completely theoretical statement. I am by no means an expert, I am just applying the same logic here from the reboot patches applied to the old3DS. Of course even with my suggestion there's a slim chance games will run at a smooth 60FPS

Jackson Ferrell likes this.
  8. LaPingas

LaPingas FGC Monster

Nov 2, 2016
    Israel
    Armada's Mustache
    I think it would break certain games as they're not supposed to play in 60fps. And let's not start to talk about the hardware itself.

9. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    Albi
    Salt:tpi:

Klurf likes this.
  10. TCJJ

TCJJ GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2009
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    If you put your games into 3D mode, they run at 60fps tops - 30fps per eye - assuming you're not playing something like Pokemon that doesn't seem to get above 2fps because Game Freak are worthless developers.

So there's your 60fps. Happy now?

In all seriousness, whilst you might theoretically be able to do that with a handful of games, the short answer is that no, you cannot and likely will never be able to do so. Don't forget that there are plenty of games that will break if you double their framerate, so that's another factor. Again, they could theoretically run, but if they're unplayable in that state, what's the point?