Can you load switch games from a HDD?

Galak

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is there anyway to play switch games using and external Hard Drive or other storage means? these mini sd's cant hold much .

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I had to adjust your thread title a little bit for the sake of clarity. As for your question, the answer is “yes, but actually, no” - the only custom firmware that supported USB loading (for instance from a HDD, or a USB thumb stick) was SX-OS. You can still use that functionality on the latest available release, however since the CFW is no longer updated due to the dissolution of Team Xecutor, it would be completely useless on current firmware revisions. The feature could be implemented in Atmosphere, but was intentionally omitted because the developers believe it would only be beneficial to pirates. I disagree with that assessment, but hey - their firmware, their choice.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As stated above, the answer to your question is technically yes if you have a firmware 11.0.0 or below Sysnand switch, and access to SX OS, which Team Xecuter is dead. The highest capacity micro SD card storage on the market is 1TB, you can go for that if you want.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use SXOS to load almost every game to date. It is true that you should not expect an update and that it will not work above 11.0.. However, you can run SXOS off an EmuNAND. Your SysNAND can be whatever. You can even have 2 hidden emuNAND partitions. And you can shrink the SXOS one so it's very small if you only intend on USB loading. I just wrote a tutorial on making 2 EmuNANDS. It's is written to go from SXOS to Atmosphere but you can very well do it the other direction. SXOS USB loading is amazing. ANY USB storage device works. I used a Wifi enabled SD card in a SD reader with on OTG cable in handheld today. SSD HDD flash whatever,

So the answer is YES, 100% SXOS is even cracked so you don't need to buy it anymore. don't listen to people when they say you cant use it. You can use both

The real reason they won't add it to Atmosphere is because they don't want to get sued.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...en-partitions-on-the-same-sd-tutorial.601607/

For the 2 emuNAND method. 1 for Atmosphere one for SXOS.

If you are a regular gamer not a hoarder a 200GB card should be enough...
Depends what games you choose and if you delete them when done. Some games get to the 60GB territory. Let people make their own decisions.

If you are a regular Temper then making decisions for yourself should be enough. ;) Just playin
Damn double posted, my bad.

Last edited by mikefor20,

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends what games you choose and if you delete them when done. Some games get to the 60GB territory. Let people make their own decisions.

If you are a regular Temper then making decisions for yourself should be enough. ;) Just playin
Damn double posted, my bad.
um 60GB what? I've seen no game hit over 35GB and thats rare

• Haha
Reactions: nWo

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the NBA 2k games are over 40 and with updates and dlc some push 60. Nba2k22 is 49 for the base game. Doom gets huge with all the DLC and updates Mk11 . ..

20gb base is not uncommon. 9 games on a 200gb card. Shit for a family of 4

You need to leave people alone about it. HDD loading is good. Hot swap. Any USB device. No install. Kicks the llamas ass.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
All the NBA 2k games are over 40 and with updates and dlc some push 60. Nba2k22 is 49 for the base game. Doom gets huge with all the DLC and updates Mk11 . ..

You need to leave people alone about it. HDD loading is good. Hot swap. Any USB device. No install. Kicks the llamas ass.
I would be thoroughly annoyed by new games requiring newer firmware, or by the lack of access to Bluetooth functionality that was only recently added, but you’re technically correct - the lion’s share of games on the platform can load via USB, and if you like to have a big pile of them available at your fingertips, that’s the way to do it.

Reactions: Mo Poge

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

all you just showed is that sports games are overbloated with dlc. 500GB will get you over 100 games (mine did) 1TB even more. average size is 14GB and smaller. I don't care if somebody uses an HDD but don't spread around this 60GB bullshit. if you need to swap that badly use DBI.nro to extract the nsp with full update and dlc in one nsp and install another using the same method. thats how I use an external drive

Last edited by deathblade200,
Reactions: Medveitsi

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all you just showed is that sports games are overbloated with dlc. 500GB will get you over 100 games (mine did) 1TB even more. average size is 14GB and smaller. I don't care if somebody uses an HDD but don't spread around this 60GB bullshit. if you need to swap that badly use DBI.nro to extract the nsp with full update and dlc in one nsp and install another using the same method. thats how I use an external drive

Dude. You sit there and say games that big don't exist. Now you are talking genre. Just stop. What's it to you? It's not useless. And it's none of your business. Your uninstall and install another method is crap. Just get a big HDD. Much easier. Plus all those read writes aren't good for your SD

Saying x amount of storage holds x amount of games is ridiculous. How many songs does a GB hold? Depends on the length of song and bitrate. 100 games depends on the game. I gave you real data and showed you specific titles that if you had them would fill a 200gb card with 10 or 12 titles.

If you don't want to use SXOS that's fine. You can leave. Don't feel the need to stay. We don't need you here spreading misinformation and confusing people. Thanks.

Op. 100% YOU CAN LOAD GAMES OFF A HDD.

Look up SXOS

Last edited by mikefor20,

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The fact is , I believe, that in anyway, “Sxos/Atmosphere : players ? READY ? FIGHT “ can be useful for the community.
We all know the “history “ behind this “war”.

I‘ve being using Sxos and Atmosphere on the same card since 2018, and still use it.
First hack was Sxos because the only one available at this time, and when atmosphere came, I used it also and still, as each CFW have their pros/cons.

because It suits my needs. It is faisable, so I do it .

I’m so tired of answers not related to the OP question and ending in an endless “war”.

Grow up “some guys “, and admit there’s not only “one BEST “ solution.

Last , but not least, 🤣😂😉
Who brought the “only way” to hack Lite/V1 patched (over a certain firmware)/ Mariko and now, so many threads about Oled ?

Ethics, in a “hack world “ can be complicated.

Last edited by Maupiti,
Reactions: AndreAR and Mo Poge

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact is , I believe, that in anyway, “Sxos/Atmosphere : players ? READY ? FIGHT “ can be useful for the community.
We all know the “history “ behind this “war”.

I‘ve being using Sxos and Atmosphere on the same card since 2018, and still use it.
First hack was Sxos because the only one available at this time, and when atmosphere came, I used it also and still, as each CFW have their pros/cons.

because It suits my needs. It is faisable, so I do it .

I’m so tired of answers not related to the OP question and ending in an endless “war”.

Grow up “some guys “, and admit there’s not only “one BEST “ solution.

Last , but not least, 🤣😂😉
Who brought the “only way” to hack Lite/V1 patched (over a certain firmware)/ Mariko and now, so many threads about Oled ?

Ethics, in a “hack world “ can be complicated.
They hate sxos. But still the show up at all the sxos threads. They intentionally start problems. Losers. I wish they would piss off

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use SXOS to load almost every game to date. It is true that you should not expect an update and that it will not work above 11.0.. However, you can run SXOS off an EmuNAND. Your SysNAND can be whatever. You can even have 2 hidden emuNAND partitions. And you can shrink the SXOS one so it's very small if you only intend on USB loading. I just wrote a tutorial on making 2 EmuNANDS. It's is written to go from SXOS to Atmosphere but you can very well do it the other direction. SXOS USB loading is amazing. ANY USB storage device works. I used a Wifi enabled SD card in a SD reader with on OTG cable in handheld today. SSD HDD flash whatever,

So the answer is YES, 100% SXOS is even cracked so you don't need to buy it anymore. don't listen to people when they say you cant use it. You can use both

The real reason they won't add it to Atmosphere is because they don't want to get sued.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...en-partitions-on-the-same-sd-tutorial.601607/

For the 2 emuNAND method. 1 for Atmosphere one for SXOS.
thing is usb support could still be added by creating their own code to do it.

i think its more about the scene, i never understand why folk behind cfw for some reason hate default rom file formats and opt for the digital version that requires installation.

look at the 3ds, how simple that was to just run a .3ds rom, but no, once free cfw hit the scene it opted for the digital format cia which like nsp isnt as ideal as just having one file and running it.

with the digital formats you require 2x space, to store the cia/nsp and space to actually install it.

luckily on the switch you can use tinfoil to download/install all in one go, so essentially its no different to having the single rom file.

but yea, it would be excellent if cfw could implement hdd support or even remote streaming, if you could host your games on a server and connect to it via a streaming app to play on the go.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yet you are the one raging like a prepubescent boy not even fully reading what people say before commenting
I read what you said. You said that 200 gigabytes is enough space. I told you that that's not enough for some people. Why are you so worried about what people use in their systems? This is a thread about how to accomplish something and your answer is you don't need to do that. Why do you feel obliged to chime in? You're not helping anybody.
You are the one acting like a child. Leave.
thing is usb support could still be added by creating their own code to do it.
i think its more about the scene, i never understand why folk behind cfw for some reason hate default rom file formats and opt for the digital version that requires installation.

look at the 3ds, how simple that was to just run a .3ds rom, but no, once free cfw hit the scene it opted for the digital format cia which like nsp isnt as ideal as just having one file and running it.

with the digital formats you require 2x space, to store the cia/nsp and space to actually install it.

luckily on the switch you can use tinfoil to download/install all in one go, so essentially its no different to having the single rom file.

but yea, it would be excellent if cfw could implement hdd support or even remote streaming, if you could host your games on a server and connect to it via a streaming app to play on the go.
Its because they don't want to get sued by Nintendo. In order to accomplish xci loading Nintendo code is used. That's a good recipe for getting a cease-and-desist. Or a lawsuit. I've talked to a lot of the devs about it in-depth. Same thing with Gateway.Gateway relied on a flash card and also used Nintendo code. Even if you could circumvent the Hardware limitation you would still need Nintendo code in order to decode the 3DS file. That's what a few devs told me

Surprisingly 500 gb micro sd cards are only about $30 on Amazon, get one of those and you could run all the good games.
Not really. What if you have kids? What if everybody needs their own games? What if you're into sports games? I like my hard drive. Your needs are not my needs. I have 2 512gb micro sd and still play off my HDDs and SSD. It's awesome.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read what you said. You said that 200 gigabytes is enough space. I told you that that's not enough for some people. Why are you so worried about what people use in their systems? This is a thread about how to accomplish something and your answer is you don't need to do that. Why do you feel obliged to chime in? You're not helping anybody.
You are the one acting like a child. Leave.

Its because they don't want to get sued by Nintendo. In order to accomplish xci loading Nintendo code is used. That's a good recipe for getting a cease-and-desist. Or a lawsuit. I've talked to a lot of the devs about it in-depth. Same thing with Gateway.Gateway relied on a flash card and also used Nintendo code. Even if you could circumvent the Hardware limitation you would still need Nintendo code in order to decode the 3DS file. That's what a few devs told me
you just further proved my point either you can't read different usernames or don't read the whole thing before commenting or you are possibly one of those kind of people that has to make up bullshit in order to try to win. one thing you NEED to do is stop putting words in my mouth

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2