Hacking Can you load games over a network?

DMzda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible to load backups (.wbfs, or ,iso ...) over a network using shared files? If not, how hard would it be to implement? Could the loader download parts of the game on the SD card or a small USB stick, then use that to play?

This would make loading games a lot more convenient, as I store the files on a pc anyway.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't believe there's one at the moment but I don't know how hard it would to make but I would imagine that it would be incredibly slow. It takes about 3 hours to send a game through the network to a PC from the Wii, so actually playing a game would be a nightmare.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's how Gamecube loading used to work back in the day, by exploiting a bug in Phantasy Star Online and using the Broadband Adapater to load games from a PC to the Gamecube. I don't think it would be too slow, as you won't have to load the entire game all at the same time, you'd just stream it over the network. The PC would basically act as a hard drive connected to the Wii, the transfer rate would be slower, but that would be the trade off of having all your games stored on your PC rather than a USB drive.

DMzda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies. You are both probably right, it will probably be slower, but it needs testing to see.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
maduin said:
That's how Gamecube loading used to work back in the day, by exploiting a bug in Phantasy Star Online and using the Broadband Adapater to load games from a PC to the Gamecube. I don't think it would be too slow, as you won't have to load the entire game all at the same time, you'd just stream it over the network. The PC would basically act as a hard drive connected to the Wii, the transfer rate would be slower, but that would be the trade off of having all your games stored on your PC rather than a USB drive.

Sorry, but you are wrong. It would be slow as hell if you would get loading through wifi to work. It's not even 10Mbit/s(~1MB/s) if i remember correctly, and definatively slower than the reduced reading speed you get on softmodded Wiis with DVD-Rs, which is still 3x(~4MB/s).

Maybe it would work with the usb network adapter, but only few people have one and it would require pretty decent skills to write that loader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol