Can you insert other software to your current flash card

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by vicv666html, Apr 24, 2008.

1. vicv666html
    OP

Newcomer vicv666html Newbie

United States
    i dont know, is a question i have, i own an r4 and im happy with it but a question i have is if i can for example insert the firmware of the m3 on my r4 and is it going work?
    sorry for my bad english XD

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    For the most part the firmware/loader acts as a bridge to the hardware so you can not swap.
    The r4 and m3 ds simply (not the M3 DS real) are near enough the same card though so the loader can be patched (the teams do not like it) and swapped.
    The downloads section has a few hacked firmwares but I can not find the generic patcher from a quick search.

Same also applies to the DSTT/TTDS and some of the "n-card" clones as they can use other loaders from their ilk.

3. vicv666

Newcomer vicv666 Member

United States
    uu ok thank you, yeah i dont want to swap i only have that question thank you

4. Sweater Fish Del

Member Sweater Fish Del GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The loader and patcher needed to run pirated ROMs are unique to each card (except in the case of clones like FAST mentioned), so that's why you can't just swap around different firmwares. If you're only using the card for homebrew and media, then you may be able to use the firmware from another card and you can definitely use homebrew menu systems as replacement firmwares. This would work with most cards, I think, including the R4 thanks to r4crypt; but with some cards like the CycloDS Evolution you can't replace the firmware with anything but another official firmware, so the only thing you could do is set up your alternate menu to autoboot whenever you start up the card.

Since the loader for the Acekard RPG (and Acekard 2 is the same, I guess?) is open source, it's possible to write all new firmwares around it or drop it into existing open source menu systems so that you'd be able to load commerical ROMs with them. That's a unique situation for the time being, though. It'd be nice if more cards went open source.

...word is bondage...