Can you help a noob choose a gaming PC ?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by yoyoloto, Mar 25, 2016.

1. yoyoloto
    OP

yoyoloto Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    Hey guys,

I have some knowledge about what I need from a gaming PC, but I don't know how to get the PC that I want.

All I see on the retail store websites is a bunch of non-optimized laptops that have features that don't even help with gaming and just drive the price up.

How do you guys choose your PC ?

2. MSearles

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    You build it. Part by part. Pre-built gaming computers are overpriced and not as good in comparison to you purchasing the parts yourself. It's not really all too hard to build your own computer. Unless you're talking about a gaming laptop. At which point you'll have to purchase from specific stores, or most likely online. No ordinary retail store such as Walmart or Target is going to have anything remotely close to a gaming laptop or desktop computer.

Last edited by MSearles, Mar 25, 2016
  3. yoyoloto
    OP

yoyoloto Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    Yes I want a laptop, can I do that myself ?

4. MSearles

MSearles GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    No. Purchase an Asus Rog or the Razer Blade for the best. Expect to spend around $1000

5. yoyoloto
    OP

yoyoloto Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    Ok cool, can you buy one from Asus directly or do you have to go through some retail store or website ?

6. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    A few questions:

-do you REALLY want a laptop? The prospect of gaming on the go might seem appealing, but I've never seen anyone truly play AAA-titles on the train. So unless you plan on visiting LAN's a lot or have more than one location where you truly want to spend gaming sessions of more than an hour, I'd reconsider. Prices of gaming laptops are far more expensive and less upgrade-able than their desktop counterparts.
    -which games will you want to play? 1000 bucks may be right for rigs that can play the latest games on highest resolution (EDIT: they don't...see a couple posts below), but I can easily play my kind of games (mostly indie titles) on cheap lappies of around 300 bucks (EDIT 2: ...but not much more than that).

Last edited by Taleweaver, Mar 27, 2016
  7. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Get a custom laptop then.
    xotic pc or ibuypower have some good stuff, check it out.

8. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    The Razer blade is the Macbook of gaming laptops. It's way too pricey for a few features you'll stop using after a while.

As for OP. Check out Sager and Origin PC.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Be careful with these brands. Their customer service has more negative reviews than positive.

Those cheap "lappies" are only good for indie titles and significantly older games. Even a Lenovo Y series laptop (under $1000 is pretty good)

Also, no, $1000 will not play the newest games at the highest res. I know I'm sounding rude, and I'm sorry. I just got off work.

Last edited by Memoir, Mar 25, 2016
  9. Touko White

Touko White (not)Banned

Jan 12, 2016
    United Kingdom
    You'll need to spend at least £1000 to play the latest games on good settings.

10. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Not a problem. I'm the one who should be sorry, because i simply assumed they would. I'll edit my previous post in a minute. :)