Can you hear your Wii U's Fans

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by constantgamer247, Jun 13, 2013.

1. constantgamer247
    OP

constantgamer247 Pourquoi?

Mar 11, 2011
    Canada
    My friend just bought a used but really really good condition Wii U on Kijiji. I've never seen one in real life before so I have no clue what it's meant to sound like. Anyway he is worried because he can hear the fan (it's very quiet yet stable), and is wondering if it is normal. The Wii U is on a computer desk maybe an arms length away. What is sketching him out is that the Wii's fan made no audible noise what so ever.

It doesn't sound like other wii u fan videos online that people post (like it doesn't sound like it's chugging or chopping ect...). We're going to get a game for it tonight. Apparently the disk drive is louder than the fan.

But basically, we're just wondering if the Wii U's fan is mildly audible/can you hear your wii u's fan at all.

2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I don't have a WiiU, but it wouldn't surprise me. My PS3 Slim fan is audible as well, and the WiiU uses twice as much power as the Wii, so it generates more heat as well.

3. Fuzzeh

Fuzzeh Turtle Neck Sweater.

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2013
    United States
    Not Crazy Gadget
    The only time I ever hear mine is when i'm at the dashboard thing.

4. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Electronics like this have fans.. fans will be audible.

5. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    i can hear my wii u only when playing black ops 2, not sure if it's the fan or the disc but it's completely quiet while playing the other games i own but with black ops in there you can hear it over the sound of the tv from about ten feet away.

6. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Wii U has no fans. geddit?

The only time I hear my Wii U's fan, is when I am at the menu/dashboard.

7. linuxGuru

linuxGuru GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2011
    United States
    My wii u is at least as loud as my ps3. I game far enough away that the noise doesn't bother me too much though.

8. jomaper

jomaper Some random argie lost in the Internet.

Dec 17, 2012
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires
    Fans? Wii U? HAHA but it has no gaemz!

jk.
    I guess it's normal?
    If it's hot, more so. Maybe the place where it's, well... placed, it's kinda hot so the console itself has to do some extra work to keep itself cool?

edit: CHARI Y U DO DIS

9. constantgamer247
    OP

Mar 11, 2011
    Canada
    Cool Beans! Thanks y'all for checking. It's pretty stable, quiet and doesn't sound sick. I've just never seen/herd a Wii U before so I wanted to double check with some people who have.

10. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    On GBAtemp, maybe, but they're pretty rare otherwise.

...Oh, wait, you mean the fans in the Wii U. Oh, nevermind.

Fishaman P and Ray Lewis like this.
  11. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    People post videos complaining about the fan noise because they have a Wii U with a messed up fan. It's not supposed to be loud, and isn't when working correctly. People send them into Nintendo, and Nintendo fixes/replaces the fan so it's not noisy.

12. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    The fans on mine are quiet. I've had trouble feeling air move, lmfao. They are working though. From 360 fat, this will trip people out. I used this fan and modded the hell out of it. People water cooled their 360!!! I highly doubt Wii U will need anything like this. If Wii U mode is hacked publicly I wonder if temps can be monitored from the system menu. Only for laughs.

13. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    The Wii U keeps quite cool, if outer temperature is anything to judge by. The Wii warmed up pretty fast, even when you had it well ventilated.

Ray Lewis likes this.
  14. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Qu├ębec
    Mine doesn't have any audible noise coming from the fan, yet alone the drive. Mine doesn't even emit any sounds at all

15. kehkou

kehkou does what Nintendon't

Dec 19, 2009
    United States
    The Duke City
    Well it has a larger fan than Wii; larger fans spin slower to push the same CF of air and are therefore quieter. Logic should follow it's quieter, till you factor in faster cores and more of them...Still...:unsure:

16. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    i never hear mine because i hear the pumping 5.1 surround system with 2 subs i have it hooked up to instead :P

17. Jan1tor

Jan1tor GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2007
    United States
    Ohio
    I rarely if ever hear the case fan in my Wii U. But I do hear the blue disk drive but even it is fairly quiet. Sometimes I here the Toshiba tb drive but all in all it is much quieter than my Xbox 360 side by side and an arms length away.

18. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    I only ever notice the disk drive sound.

19. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I don't know about your friend, but I can hear any Wii's fan from 2 feet away.
    If he could hear his Wii U's fan from 5 feet away, that would actually be something to ponder.

20. constantgamer247
    OP

Mar 11, 2011
    Canada

That's actually a pretty accurate description. It's on a computer desk so we're quite close to the console itself.