Homebrew Can you have Wii games running of both a usb stick and an sd card in USB Loader GX

• Thread starter Deleted-353083
  • Start date
  • Views 10,816
  • Replies 11
D

Deleted-353083

OP
This will probably sound really stupid but i admit i have abit of OCD and anyone who has it will know how hell it makes your life if everything isn't 100% perfectly even

Ok... i use USB Loader GX because it allows native controls for my Wavebird for GC games and also allows me to have my GC games on my SD card and Wii games on a thumb drive and all show up in the list. Ok now... i actually only have 1 Wii game (House Of The Dead Overkill) and it fits on my thumb drive perfectly with literally just 23mb left.

Lately i've been thinking i wanna add just one more which is only 740mb in size (Marble Saga) and i had been thinking about using a second 1gb thumb stick, or burn it on a disc and just have it sitting in the drive... BUT... this is sadly where the OCD comes in - no matter what i try i can't get both usb ports working at the same time and games on disc don't appear in the list when you open USB Loader GX (#first world problems )

I then saw that i do have exactly 900mb spare on the SD card... so putting it on there would solve everything and calm my OCD and save the world from imminent destruction and doom!!! Anyone know if that's possible and if so how?

Illuminaticy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get your OCD thing, I'm the same way lol, so you want it to show up in the list with other games?

If you have the disc copy you can just click the disc icon in the top menu on USBLGX and it will load, but if you want it in the list, this obviously won't help.

USBLGX Can't read wii games from SD, so that's a no go.

I believe you can set it up to read both USB ports, I know I've seen some tutorials on it on here somewhere.

What I would do is just get a hard drive, have everything on there, and solve all your problems, and hopefully save the world from imminent destruction and doom...hopefully

Edit: here is the thread I remember https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx-cant-load-from-both-usb-ports.365916/ read Cyan's comments, will maybe help you

Last edited by Illuminaticy,

Ron_Harrison

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, if possible an external would be ideal. All you'll need to do is create two partitions each formatted with a different file system, a NTFS/WBFS one for Wii games and a FAT32 one for GameCube games. Unfortunately you can't mix them together, but it's not difficult to get setup properly.

Last edited by Ron_Harrison,

Illuminaticy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, if possible an external would be ideal. All you'll need to do is create two partitions each formatted with a different file system, a NTFS/WBFS one for Wii games and a FAT32 one for GameCube games. Unfortunately you can't mix them together, but it's not difficult to get setup properly.
Wii games work just fine on fat32 these days, 1 big fat32 partition usually does the trick. Wii backup manager splits 4gb+ files for you. WBFS still works, but why use it when you can just use fat32

Ron_Harrison

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii games work just fine on fat32 these days, 1 big fat32 partition usually does the trick. Wii backup manager splits 4gb+ files for you. WBFS still works, but why use it when you can just use fat32

Aha, didn't think of that. You're right, a single FAT32 partition is really all he needs, especially since he's just got two Wii games and as you said you can just split any that are over 4GBs. Thank you for correcting me and apologies for the incorrect information.

Last edited by Ron_Harrison,
D

Deleted-353083

OP
Thanks for the replies you lovely nerds :D Just out of curiosity can you have all Homebrew apps on a thumb drive too? I had my thumb drive formatted to WBFS file system, but now i've downloaded ISO to WBFS to convert the iso's to WBFS files and i already know about creating a folder first called "wbfs"

So to get to the point... can i just copy everything that's on the SD card and then copy the wbfs folder and just run everything to do with the Homebrew channel off the thumb drive and get rid of the SD card altogether?

Illuminaticy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies you lovely nerds :D Just out of curiosity can you have all Homebrew apps on a thumb drive too? I had my thumb drive formatted to WBFS file system, but now i've downloaded ISO to WBFS to convert the iso's to WBFS files and i already know about creating a folder first called "wbfs"

So to get to the point... can i just copy everything that's on the SD card and then copy the wbfs folder and just run everything to do with the Homebrew channel off the thumb drive and get rid of the SD card altogether?
You can have most homebrew apps on a USB, but leaving them on the SD is just easier (and more compatible) in the long run. If it's not possible for you to get a hard drive, just leave the homebrew apps and gamecube games on the SD, and Wii games on the flash drive.

I prefer to have retro and homebrew apps on my SD card, and wii/gc games on the hard drive.

Last edited by Illuminaticy,
D

Deleted-353083

OP
Thanks again you wonderful magnificent truly-blessed nerds for all your help :) Just got another question to ask and thought might aswell just add it to this discussion instead of opening another thread cause i do that all the time (blame the OCD lol)

Ok... now for some reason nothing is appearing when i open the Homebrew Channel despite the fact that when i launch USB Loader GX from the forwarder (or any of the apps that i have forwarders for) on the home screen it works just fine. I had actually had all that stuff on a Micro SD card which was inserted into an SD Card adapter to make it an ordinary SD card and it had been that way for ages and worked just fine... but still i'm not a tech savvy person at all, so i tried an actual real SD card (8gb) to see if it made any difference and exactly the same again - nothing when i open the Homebrew Channel but the forwarders all work perfect. Any suggestions?

P.S. As for the original Earth-shattering, apocalyptic, first-world-problem that started this thread... i burned that other game to a disc and will just leave it sitting in the disc drive. Lol, this is probably gonna make me sound like an escaped mental patient now, but even though it works fine when i click on the disc tab in the top corner... i really would like to just have it displayed in the list cause i just like the artwork and the OCD is really bugging me about it to the point where i'm seriously considering seppuko :(

Is it possible at all... or can i say make it appear on the home screen where real discs appear (you know the very first channel)?

Reactions: Illuminaticy

Illuminaticy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the apps not appearing, press 1 (or 2, can't ever remember) select internal SD slot.

Just tried a few things with a retail disc (doubt it matters if it's burned or retail) I couldn't find a way to make it show up in the list sadly :/

Reactions: Deleted-353083
D

Deleted-353083

OP
For the apps not appearing, press 1 (or 2, can't ever remember) select internal SD slot.
Thank you friend... and boy do i feel stupid now given that's all it was! lol. What about the other dilemma? Anything possible?

Illuminaticy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you friend... and boy do i feel stupid now given that's all it was! lol. What about the other dilemma? Anything possible?
just edited that post, couldn't find anything from what I just tried sadly :/

Edit: And it only does the SD thing if you have a USB/HDD connected still. If you just had the SD, you could unplug and plug 1000x times and it would work fine. It switches to USB mode if the SD is removed.

Reactions: Deleted-353083
D

Deleted-353083

OP
just edited that post, couldn't find anything from what I just tried sadly :/

Edit: And it only does the SD thing if you have a USB/HDD connected still. If you just had the SD, you could unplug and plug 1000x times and it would work fine. It switches to USB mode if the SD is removed.
Okie doke... well thanks for your help anyway :) Playing RDR2 on Xbone now. If ya got an Xbone and RDR2 and wanna go outlawing online i'd be up for that :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1