Hardware Can you hardware-mod a joycon to invert the stick axis?

ragamuffin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Try as I might, I can't adjust to non-inverted controls on the right-joycon X-axis, and many games no longer have an option to invert them.

I'd like to modify a joycon so that its right stick is always X-inverted (or so that it has a toggle), but can't find any documentation of anyone attempting this mod before. Can anyone more familiar with the joycon hardware let me know how possible this would be, or how it might be done?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try as I might, I can't adjust to non-inverted controls on the right-joycon X-axis, and many games no longer have an option to invert them.

I'd like to modify a joycon so that its right stick is always X-inverted (or so that it has a toggle), but can't find any documentation of anyone attempting this mod before. Can anyone more familiar with the joycon hardware let me know how possible this would be, or how it might be done?

I’ve heard of button mapping but not joystick mapping on the Switch. That doesn't mean it doesn’t exist…only that I’m unaware.

Inside the joycon the joystick is connected using a 5-conductor flexible cable.

059734D0-679E-492F-B11C-8DAA4E71CECF.jpeg

I imagine you could buy something like this guy:

7880505B-10F7-4D42-BB5B-1575EABCFE2F.jpeg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1349068687/diy-joycon-breakout-board-set-of-4

You could use them to test to find out which pins convey which axis +/-.

Space would be tight but if you could cross the wires you discover to go the opposite directions and then add a short piece of 5-conductor flex cable to connect the contraption into the original connector. Again, space is tight in there but trying to come up with something that would be clean and reversible.

e: here’s more info on the joycons for further research:

https://github.com/dekuNukem/Nintendo_Switch_Reverse_Engineering

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?