The_Office_owns

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
topic title is supposed to say "so it doesn't use as much CPU usage"

It always gets to 100% usage with me. Are there settings I can tinker with to make this better?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no$gba is already the fastest DS emulator out there for most games. There really isn't much you can do. Just make sure you have the very latest version (2.6a), because it has a faster 3D rendering engine that isn't in any other version (like the regular 2.6 for instance).

The_Office_owns

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RAM is not related to the CPU usage problem I'm having. I usually have 60% ram free and CPU usage is at 100% and slowing down my emulator. that's my problem.

I can't find any setting on that RAM thing for CPU usage.

JesseB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried doing routine maintenance on your pc lately? Try running a defrag, an anti-virus, and an anti-spyware. When I run No$ it doesn't use anywhere near that much power. My pc stays around 30% max when running it. It sounds like something else is attaching itself to no$ and eating up your resources. If not, it never hurts to run a good defrag and such.

The_Office_owns

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I run 3 malware things every week, and I have defragged.

This kind of thing also happens when I watch streaming HD videos. The CPU usage goes up too high and it ends up being choppy.

The_Office_owns

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here's another weird thing: when I put something very could underneath my computer (like frozen peas), it does not happen. The issue is that it's overheating.

Bluelaserman

I shoot BLUE LASERS MAN!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
The_Office_owns said:
here's another weird thing: when I put something very could underneath my computer (like frozen peas), it does not happen. The issue is that it's overheating.

Why are you placing your computer on top of frozen peas o.o?
On Topic: Maybe its overheating, If so, try using fans or a better case for the computer

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well No$GBA can only use one core of a CPU, so 100% CPU usage means you either have a netbook or a really old computer, both of which should not be running the emulator in the first place.

ParMa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm running 733mhz on a Pentium 3.. on a laptop
smile.gif
I beat Diamond, Platinum, and SoulSilver on it, running 60-70% in the OV and 100 in battles. Flashcarts are almost a godsend.

I don't really see how you can complain if it's just a little choppy. Others have it worse. But have you changed your settings to something like realtime/2*??? Or Unlimited Mhz Disaster/10%?? I play on the latter of those two.

What the guy above me said, and keep that baby cool, she'll run Nogba faster.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
for christ's sake, get a new computer!!!!! If you have trouble running no$gba either your computer is older than a pentium 4(6 years or older) or you downloaded no$gba from an unreliable source and it is infected with a virus or malware. If you have at least a P4 and 512mb of ram you should have any prob running the emulator.

The_Office_owns

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have a notebook actually. It's not that old, maybe 4 years.

The other thing is that it only gets to that 100% point in the overworld walking around. When I'm battling it's around 70% usage. Weird. I have a suspicion that there is a fan cable loose that is connected to my processor but I don't have enough know-how to open it up.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're talking about Pokemon, then that's because the Overworld areas use the DS's 3D graphics engine, while the battles don't. 3D requires significantly more power to emulate. Again, make sure you've got the very latest version of no$gba (you'll have to search Google for it, since you can no longer pay for it to get it legitimately). The latest version has a special 3D rendering option (enabled by default I believe) that is a good amount faster than the other options, though it may have slight graphical glitches as a result. Give it a shot at least.

The_Office_owns

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2.6a is the latest right? Yeah that's what I have and it runs at 90% for a while and smooth, but once my computer heats up it goes to 100% and choppy.

I need to rig some sort of ice pack to my computer but I don't want to get it wet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol