Hacking Can you disable power to USB only during standby mode?

Cyber Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now I have Priiloader set to ignore stnadby so my Wii turns off with a red led when I put it in "standby" mode (though sometimes through homebrew apps this is ignored).

The reason for this is because with my Wii off, my USB hard drive still gets power, and I don't want to kill it by keeping it running 24/7.

I want to be able to use Wiiconnect24..... so is there ANY way I can set my Wii up so when I turn it off into standby (yellow led) mode, it cuts power to USB so my HDD doesn't stay powered on, yet Wiiconnect24 will still work?

And yes, it IS that much of an annoyance to constantly unplug it from the USB ports before you suggest that.

twig123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When does a light bulb burn out? When you turn it on...
(Have you ever had one die when it was already on? no? I haven't either...)
I have the same beliefs for hard drives. Constantly turning on/off a device stresses it more than leaving it on constantly. Some people will say just the opposite, but nobody quite knows.

Anyways, back to you question. AFAIK there isn't a way to disable power to USB when in standby.

Cyber Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twig123 said:
I have the same beliefs for hard drives. Constantly turning on/off a device stresses it more than leaving it on constantly. Some people will say just the opposite, but nobody quite knows.

Yes actually, I have had both lightbulbs and harddrives die while they were on.

Also, a harddrive is a little different in that is has moving mechanical parts, which wear out much much quicker than electronics aging.

boondoklife

Trophies
Website
boondoklife.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Cyber Akuma said:
Right now I have Priiloader set to ignore stnadby so my Wii turns off with a red led when I put it in "standby" mode (though sometimes through homebrew apps this is ignored).

The reason for this is because with my Wii off, my USB hard drive still gets power, and I don't want to kill it by keeping it running 24/7.

I want to be able to use Wiiconnect24..... so is there ANY way I can set my Wii up so when I turn it off into standby (yellow led) mode, it cuts power to USB so my HDD doesn't stay powered on, yet Wiiconnect24 will still work?

And yes, it IS that much of an annoyance to constantly unplug it from the USB ports before you suggest that.

You can use priiloader to force standby to power off but that does not allow it to get new news when the wii is off. It is a trade off, I have mine set to turn off cause my HDD gets hot just sitting there running for no reason.

jakejm79

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would just have to open up your Wii, poke around with a multimeter and find a point that is +5v when the Wii is on and 0v when the Wii is off or in standby. Then just break the +5v connection from the USB port to mainboard and solder a wire from the point you found to the USB port. Maybe double check that the +5v spot provides enough amps too.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyber Akuma said:
twig123 said:

Yes actually, I have had both lightbulbs and harddrives die while they were on.

As have I...

*cries over the 500gig drive I lost 2 weeks ago*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @ZeroT21, not yet