Can you dail whatsapp number like a telephone number?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by blueagent1999, Jul 31, 2017.

1. blueagent1999
    OP

blueagent1999 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2017
    Hong Kong
    i've never used whatsapp before, so i was wondering if whatsapp numbers are actually telephone numbers that you can dial using a regular phone?

i guess what i'm asking is, can i dail a whatsapp number using an old telephone?

thanks for letting me know!

Last edited by blueagent1999, Jul 31, 2017
  2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    All whatsapp numbers are real phone numbers (or were at the time of activation - it's possible to move the whatsapp account to a device that is not the one which now has that phone number!)

blueagent1999 likes this.
  3. JellyPerson

JellyPerson GBATemp certified Gorillaz Fan

Jul 26, 2017
    United States
    that place full of lurkers
    im pretty sure they are, you can figure it out yourself. =)

4. Enlapse

Enlapse GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Yes, of course. Whatsapp "accounts" are just numbers. What I am not sure is about the prefix.

For example, here in Spain que use the prefix (0034) [9 digit number] (0034 601 601 601), but if you buy a number here in spain, and you go to England, for example, I'm not sure if the whatsapp number will be updated adding the new prefix (which in England, is 0044).

But, in basic terms: As long as that phone can ring and the phone who has the number can get calls, yes, you can call with an old phone.

5. blueagent1999
    OP

blueagent1999 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2017
    Hong Kong
    ah i see! i learnt something very useful today, so thank you very much everyone!

wow what a relief! now i can finally get in contact with someone i was supposed to contact 2 weeks ago (i was too shy to dial his whatsapp number with my phone because i didn't want to get yelled at by unknown strangers, in the event that his whatsapp number wasn't his real telephone number)

Last edited by blueagent1999, Aug 1, 2017