Can You Change Cartridge Shells?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by matrix121391, Aug 2, 2008.

Aug 2, 2008
  1. matrix121391
    OP

Member matrix121391 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hi! I've been wanting to change the shell for my EZFlash 3-in-1 Expansion Pack because it's white and I have a black DS. I've been suggested to swap it off with a shell from a useless GBA game cartridge. Would this work? Is there a step by step procedure to do it? Sorry if this sounds like a very stupid question, but I currently own no GBA games (skipped out on the GBA generation) so I don't know how the cartridges are held together and built.

2. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    They're held together by a Triwing screw on the back, so you must get a Triwing screwdriver.
    Disassemble and see what parts of the cartridge need Dremeling so that the expansion board can fit.
    Since you're changing from the Lite to the GBA formfactor, you may have to modify the location of the screw holes also.
    Assemble and test.

3. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    or you can use a hot glue gun to hold things in place.

4. santorix10

Member santorix10 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It won't fit. I've tried this before because the EZ-Flash's shell is flimsy. The board is double sided, which makes it too thick to use.