Can you build a PC as powerful as the XB1X for $500?

PCWorld have tried, and apparently the answer is a big NO.

XboxOneX.jpg

In an attempt to create a custom built computer with specifications matching exactly those of the newly revealed Xbox One X (which I personally decided to refer to as XB1X but feel to come up with your own acronym), PCWorld concludes that, apparently, for the first time in the history of gaming, a console may be more powerful than a custom built computer of the same price tag at the time of its release!

XB1X specs:
CPU: Custom AMD 8-core @ 2.3 GHz
GPU: Custom AMD chip @ 6.0 teraflops
RAM: 12 GB GDDR5
HDD: 1 TB
OPT: 4K Blu-ray drive

PCWorld's attempt #1
With 8GB DDR3 for a total cost of $652
upload_2017-6-17_10-1-34.png

PCWorld's attempt #2
With 8GB DDR4, for a total cost of $944
upload_2017-6-17_10-1-46.png

So... can you do better than PCWorld? Let us know what you think. PC master race!
Read more at PCWorld

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Xbox X runs checkerboard 4K like PS4 Pro doesn't it? Not so much for a 4K/60 experience that they kept on bragging about.

PS4 Pro for me would be the better deal due to the library of exclusive games it has and better, optimised third party games whereas on Xbox they run at lower performance.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's why you seldom see price drops on Nintendo hardware.

Not exactly why Nintendo doesn't sell their consoles at a loss. Rather, Nintendo games are considered more valuable as they dont make too many of them, just like their consoles.
I believe there are other reasons as well, but I cant be bothered to list them.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Interesting.

PC masterrace?
I think not anymore.

Well it still is, just if you're on a budget, it's not anymore.

Xbox X runs checkerboard 4K like PS4 Pro doesn't it? Not so much for a 4K/60 experience that they kept on bragging about.

PS4 Pro for me would be the better deal due to the library of exclusive games it has and better, optimised third party games whereas on Xbox they run at lower performance.

That's only in Ass Creed.

Pretty much. They're saving a lot on RAM (one form of shared memory rather than a split design like on PC's), integrating everything into one APU (no need for discrete ports, easier power rail construction, simpler cooling) and a number of other things you just wouldn't be able to achieve on a PC box from scratch. I think they're close to breaking even in terms of price, especially since they're paying "mate's rates" for the parts, not RRP like a normal user.

I think the shared RAM is what reduces the price quite a bit.
So does having it all on one socket as well that discount from AMD.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

It's funny. My PC with an i7 7700K and a GTX 1070 finds it hard to get 4k 60 on high settings.
The people Microsoft is targeting Xbox X at doesn't seem like they care much about the catalogue of games but moreso its hardware, for those people gaming consoles are not what they should be considering.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The people Microsoft is targeting Xbox X at doesn't seem like they care much about the catalogue of games but moreso its hardware, for those people gaming consoles are not what they should be considering.

Most definitely. I own consoles for the catalogue, my PC will easily whoop my consoles.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this thing fails horribly. I say this because the Xbone was released less than 4 years ago and now MS is already talking about a new (updated version) console?
Should this thing do well , we'll be getting new consoles (updated versions) faster and faster. The home console will be like Apple and it's iPhone.

Reactions: StarTrekVoyager

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Regarding checkerboarding, both the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X are capable of native 4K, checkerboard 4K, 2K, 1080p and 720p, the actual resolution depends on the game in question. Naturally with a 30% specs difference the XBOX has the advantage here, but I just wanted to point out that not all Pro titles are checkerboarded.

jerzmob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You all are missing the key word "custom" As of now the xbone x has been getting exposed left & right. 4k checkerboard, dynamic resolution, 30 fps.need I say more

Reactions: StarTrekVoyager

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope this thing fails horribly. I say this because the Xbone was released less than 4 years ago and now MS is already talking about a new (updated version) console?
Should this thing do well , we'll be getting new consoles (updated versions) faster and faster. The home console will be like Apple and it's iPhone.
The home console will be like iPhone except the refreshes will happen every 3 or 4 years instead of every 1 year. I am okay with this.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what makes the Xbox 1X interesting, but at the end of the day PC's will always be more capable maybe not in terms of pure performance, but terms of what you can do with it. Even the lowliest of PC's can run some emulators or do your taxes and in general do work. Game consoles will always be stuck for the most part playing games. This isn't a bad thing though they are built to do one thing and in the case of the Xbox 1X do it extremely well.

Just need to get a 4K TV and an Xbox 1X now... lol

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Good luck finding an RX580 now that miners have bought it up en masse. Also, for the 2nd option, isn't a 140$ blu-ray drive overkill?

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck finding an RX580 now that miners have bought it up en masse. Also, for the 2nd option, isn't a 140$ blu-ray drive overkill?
They were probably doing that to match the UHD Blu Ray capability of the XBOX. I omitted the Blu Ray drive entirely on my build since it's not necessary for the playing of PC games.

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They work really different though. You can update a pc anytime you want, and parts that are on the league of the xbox one x are going to be cheaper in the next couple of years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm here.