Hacking Can you be banned by simply updating your game (rom) via the eShop?

Dacvak

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have, say, a Sky3DS card, and when you go to launch a game from it you see there's an update. Then you click "update", and it takes you to the eShop (or whatever) and updates your rom as if it were a retail game. Has anyone been banned from that?

I updated Super Smash Bros on my Sky3DS (even though I also have the game installed on my 3DS), and as far as I know I'm not banned, but should I be worried? I was basically just testing updating games on Sky3DS to see if it worked (and it does). But what's the deal with bans? Can/will they ban you for updating a rom with a blank/public header?

Also, does your entire Nintendo ID account get banned, or just access to that game?

Edit: What if you just happen to be connected to the internet when you play a game that doesn't necessarily have internet functions? What if it has passive internet functions? Any idea?

phanteon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have, say, a Sky3DS card, and when you go to launch a game from it you see there's an update. Then you click "update", and it takes you to the eShop (or whatever) and updates your rom as if it were a retail game. Has anyone been banned from that?

I updated Super Smash Bros on my Sky3DS (even though I also have the game installed on my 3DS), and as far as I know I'm not banned, but should I be worried? I was basically just testing updating games on Sky3DS to see if it worked (and it does). But what's the deal with bans? Can/will they ban you for updating a rom with a blank/public header?

Also, does your entire Nintendo ID account get banned, or just access to that game?

Edit: What if you just happen to be connected to the internet when you play a game that doesn't necessarily have internet functions? What if it has passive internet functions? Any idea?

1. you dont update the game itself. you download the update, install it in your 3DS then when you run the game it makes use of the update data. (thus you can install updates for games you dont have).

2. My only have 1 private header for all my online games which is from PES 2011. A non-online game from launch. If i get banned ill let you know

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
No I'd reckon it's safe. However it's also relatively easy to download updates via CIA. If you know how to find roms (which we can't tell you) you'll also be able to find the updates.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No I'd reckon it's safe. However it's also relatively easy to download updates via CIA. If you know how to find roms (which we can't tell you) you'll also be able to find the updates.

He only mentioned Sky3DS, which cannot install or make use of CIA files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.