Can you be banned by simply updating your game (rom) via the eShop?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Dacvak, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Dacvak
    OP

Dacvak GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2006
    United States
    If you have, say, a Sky3DS card, and when you go to launch a game from it you see there's an update. Then you click "update", and it takes you to the eShop (or whatever) and updates your rom as if it were a retail game. Has anyone been banned from that?

I updated Super Smash Bros on my Sky3DS (even though I also have the game installed on my 3DS), and as far as I know I'm not banned, but should I be worried? I was basically just testing updating games on Sky3DS to see if it worked (and it does). But what's the deal with bans? Can/will they ban you for updating a rom with a blank/public header?

Also, does your entire Nintendo ID account get banned, or just access to that game?

Edit: What if you just happen to be connected to the internet when you play a game that doesn't necessarily have internet functions? What if it has passive internet functions? Any idea?

2. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    No, nobody has been banned just for updating ROMs via the eShop. Nor has anyone that only plays ROMs offline been banned.

When a ban occurs, the entire console ID is banned from accessing online features in games.

Dacvak and 4ur0r like this.
  3. Dacvak
    OP

Dacvak GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2006
    United States
    Awesome, thanks for the info.

4. phanteon

phanteon GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    United States
    1. you dont update the game itself. you download the update, install it in your 3DS then when you run the game it makes use of the update data. (thus you can install updates for games you dont have).

2. My only have 1 private header for all my online games which is from PES 2011. A non-online game from launch. If i get banned ill let you know

5. Ericzander

Ericzander I used hax to get yellow name

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    No I'd reckon it's safe. However it's also relatively easy to download updates via CIA. If you know how to find roms (which we can't tell you) you'll also be able to find the updates.

6. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica

He only mentioned Sky3DS, which cannot install or make use of CIA files.

7. Ericzander

Ericzander I used hax to get yellow name

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    Oh man, stupid me. Yep, should still be safe xD