Can you automate 7zip to compress?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Volkov, May 9, 2008.

May 9, 2008
  1. Volkov
    OP

Member Volkov GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I have about 2000 games to compress on here. It is going to take me months to do this because of sleep and work and hardly ever been here. Basically, does anyone know of a way to make it so one will start compressing once one is finished? So I can do them 1 at a time but they will ALWAYS be going. I leave the computer on 24/7 as it is, and if I could automate this process it would be so good...

any ideas?

2. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Check out this
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=547732
    Theres a few ways to batch 7zip your files.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    7zip has some extensive command line options which are great for general use but can I suggest offline list, DS dats are available from ADVANsCEne and it can even do duplicates.
    http://offlinelist.free.fr/

4. Volkov
    OP

Australia
    I was just going to use a batch file for 7zip but some of the syntax is confusing, i'll try some more

5. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    7za.exe + 10 line Batch script.

6. matriculated

Member matriculated GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    if you have the commandline version of 7z installed go to the commandline and navigate to your folder and then type this

Code:
    for %%1 in (*.nds) do 7za a %%1.7z %%1
    Not sure if the syntax is correct as I'm on a Mac at the moment. If that doesn't work then try using %1 instead of %%1. You probably have to add the 7z app folder to your path though but the easiest way is to copy 7za.exe to where your roms are. Also, this will probably make your CPU go to 100% for a looong time.

If you really want to save insane amounts of space, go to the No-intro website. You can get a batch file that will merge roms by region into a 7z OR get the XMDB and let Goodmerge do the same thing. You'll need to use the no-intro dat to sort and rename all your roms though.

7. Volkov
    OP

Australia
    I'm having trouble even using the syntax for 7zip. once I can I can make a batch file.

I'm using: 7z -a s:\Dreamcast\Buggy_Heat_JAP_DC-KALISTO
    and that wont work so then i tried setting the compression using m and still not working

Can someone tell me the syntax for compressing a directory at ultra compression as a 7z file with the same name as the directory im compressing....?

EDIT - I'm on windows using command prompt. Do I need the command line installed? when i type in "7z.exe" it prints the command line syntax for me, but I still don't understand it and have done what it says but I'm doing something wrong

8. matriculated

Canada
    What do you mean it's not working? What happens?

Like I said before, just copy 7z.exe into the folder where you have roms, open a commandline window to that same folder and try it from there.

9. Volkov
    OP

Australia
    "7z a file.7z foldername" works

for anyone interested. Thanks though =D

now just to set max compression and away i go

10. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom

11. matriculated

Canada
    Thanks for posting that arctic_flame. I updated to my code above to actually work now. [​IMG]