Can you add text to a psx game?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Star-scream, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Star-scream
    OP

Star-scream GBAtemp Regular

Mar 3, 2013
    Can you add game text to a game in Cutscene's if there is no japanse text to the game already I am wondering if you can is it possible but in English.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Not sure why we are in the PSP section, actually I might be but hopefully it will be answered.

The PSP's PS1 emulation offers no such abilities like you might have seen for the N64 or GC/Wii texture replacement stuff.

If you mean can you employ ROM hacking techniques to achieve such a goal then sure, such a thing has been done many times. Depending upon what the cutscene is (FMV, in engine, something else) will change what said hacker has to do (encoding video is bastard hard so most people just overlay it). It is not an amazingly hard hack to do (no crazy maths or anything) but unlike tile/texture/basic text/basic file replacement hacks which you could learn enough to do some damage in over a weekend then here that is not going to happen.

I guess theoretically you could make such a hack work but not on the PSP's PS1 emulator but that is unlikely, unless you head down the PC emulator texture replacement path (don't do that unless you have to).

3. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    best bet

Extract the STRs with
    https://kenai.com/projects/jpsxdec/pages/Home

then convert them to avi with

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/878/

Then make custom subs with any of the programs out there
    Then use a convert that will convert the video from AVI to AVI but embed the .srt file as a Hard Sub (using the same video format and audio format)

im trying to figure out what tool injects them again but that you best bet for FMV's at least

Star-scream likes this.
  4. Star-scream
    OP

Star-scream GBAtemp Regular

Mar 3, 2013
    Awesome just getting some things together thinking about having ago at black/matrix 00