Can you ADD a firmware update to a 3ds rom?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Zaphod77, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Zaphod77
    OP

Zaphod77 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 25, 2015
    United States
    I know it's possible to remove the update partition from a 3ds rom file. but can you do the opposite, and ADD an official full nintendo firmware update with browser to a rom file, so you can use say a sky3ds cart to update to the firmware version you want with browser?

2. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Kinda, but not how you want. By adding the update, the ROM's signature will break and will be unusable without CFW.

3. Zaphod77
    OP

Zaphod77 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 25, 2015
    United States
    my goal is the ability to get the right tools to hack ANY 3ds/2ds below 11.3

For example there are many cases not on he lit or annoyingly hard to get.

for example. new3ds before 9.0 is a pain. and cart update will break soundhax. so i would need a working sploit. my research says oot3dhax works without a cooperating camera.

here's what i understand to be the ideal paths.

2.1+browser=straight to installing a9lh
    < 4.0 without browser. cart update it to a version you can use MSET with. oot3d en-es-fr usa version seems good for that. :) also doubles a a homebrew entry point.
    4.x try browser. if that refuses to cooperate, use mset.
    5.x use browser. if that refuses to cooperate (or is missing) update to 6.x for mset. use cut the rope triple threat (smallest game in 6.x range)
    6.x use browser.if that refuses to cooperate, or is missing, use MSET
    7.x-8.x use brower. if that won't cooperate, cart upgrade to 9.0-11.2 range with are you smarter then a 5th grader? (very small game!) and use oot3dhax on flashcart with sploit save. (doesn't require qr code)
    n3ds 8.1=cart update with are you smarter then a 5th grader? and use oot3dhax on flashcart with sploit save.
    ndx 9.x+ ready for soundhax unless browser is missing, then use oot3dhax from flashcart.