Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

MSearles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't played a Pokemon game in over 10 years. The last Pokemon games I played were the Red, Blue, and Yellow versions. I also haven't kept up with any of them. I moved on from the handheld after the Gameboy Color and went to home systems, such as the Nintendo 64, Playstation 2, Xbox and such. I really had no idea that the Pokemon games went 3D until only a few years ago. It's partly why I haven't picked up a Pokemon game in the last few years. I haven't tried either. But I'm assuming I won't like them. I miss the old Pokemon style, with the sprites and the side-scrolling screens. Does anyone else feel the same way I do?

aid3242926-728px-Get-Fly-on-Pokemon-Yellow-Step-4-Version-3.jpg VS overworld.jpg

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have only played since the RSE era and love to play except I am quite busy and do not have a whole lot of time. Mpre or less the core formula is still the same only though certain mechanics have changed a good bit ( the atk/sp atk thing in gen 4) but they are still quite good games. But if you want the old school style then I would suggest looking at heart gold or soul silver as they are based on the GBC games and update the mechanics regarding atk while also giving modern visuals.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Despite being a fan since the start, I've every upgrade since the start. The games really feel like the true evolution of the Nintendo handheld systems. Showing off real progress between each update. I love the progress they've made because it's actual progress.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Can we talk about Pomemon games? No.

/thread

In all seriousness, I'm not a fan of the 3D style. The 32 bit era of the GBA generation of games will always look the best to me, probably because I grew up with 16 bit games with similar spritework. Gen 5's battle system was so speedy and nice and I think that was the pinnacle of the series' battle system, but now that gen 6 focuses on all 3D, it feels clunky and slow in a way that Colosseum and XD weren't. I don't like it. But I appreciate the changes Gamefreak has made over the years, trying to improve upon each entry.

Reactions: Tom Bombadildo

Posghetti

Un-official ReVeluv Leader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, not at all. I like the way Pokemon is becoming (not story wise or exciting new battles modes) but how much we can experience out of it compared to the older versions. I still love them tho, Platnium, FireRed, etc.

I guess it all really depends what you grew up playing with tbh.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we talk about Pomemon games? No.

/thread

In all seriousness, I'm not a fan of the 3D style. The 32 bit era of the GBA generation of games will always look the best to me, probably because I grew up with 16 bit games with similar spritework. Gen 5's battle system was so speedy and nice and I think that was the pinnacle of the series' battle system, but now that gen 6 focuses on all 3D, it feels clunky and slow in a way that Colosseum and XD weren't. I don't like it. But I appreciate the changes Gamefreak has made over the years, trying to improve upon each entry.
Well that begs me to ask then what do you think about the RS 3ds remakes? I also loved the RSE games but unlike you I disliked gen 5 but loved gen 6 due to those graphics and also to a point since I was just more into Pokemon as around gen 5 I was burnt out from gen 4

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Well that begs me to ask then what do you think about the RS 3ds remakes? I also loved the RSE games but unlike you I disliked gen 5 but loved gen 6 due to those graphics and also to a point since I was just more into Pokemon as around gen 5 I was burnt out from gen 4
Haaaaaated ORAS. I don't know why, though. It's literally the same game but with new additions and a graphical overhaul. Perhaps I need to replay it to understand why I didn't like them so much, or maybe I was just burnt out on the series by the time they released.

Reactions: Tom Bombadildo

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haaaaaated ORAS. I don't know why, though. It's literally the same game but with new additions and a graphical overhaul. Perhaps I need to replay it to understand why I didn't like them so much, or maybe I was just burnt out on the series by the time they released.
Likely the later. That happened to me around the time of gen 5 and I was so busy at the time that I never enjoyed it. Although in the case of BW+2 the whole thing where it was on the DS as was gen 4 kinda upset me for no real reason.

MSearles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And also, who the hell are all these new pokemon? I haven't looked in on any of the Pokemon games since the first 3, so I still know nothing. The next Pokemon game I'll play will be the new one coming out soon. Do they change the Pokemon every game? Is Pikachu still around?

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
And also, who the hell are all these new pokemon? I haven't looked in on any of the Pokemon games since the first 3, so I still know nothing. The next Pokemon game I'll play will be the new one coming out soon. Do they change the Pokemon every game? Is Pikachu still around?
They add new Pokemon each game. But they keep the old ones too. I think, since there will be a lot of Gen 1 Pokemon with new "forms", Sun and Moon will be great for you.

MSearles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They add new Pokemon each game. But they keep the old ones too. I think, since there will be a lot of Gen 1 Pokemon with new "forms", Sun and Moon will be great for you.

All of the original Pokemon are present in every Pokemon game? Charizard, mewtwo, blastoise, etc? And then new Pokemon also?

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanna talk about the IGN article posted today about the upcoming games. The woman who wrote that got to play Sun for 2 hours, at that moment I wished I worked for those game news sites.

As for the topic at hand, I fell out of active pokemon gaming in 2007 after a stupid trade I did with someone in high school. It was my SP and Emerald for his GBA and FireRed. Very stupid, but I really liked FireRed, parting with Emerald made me realize that's my all-time favorite pokemon game. Also with school and lack of money, didn't generally have time to play video games. 2014 I bought the gen 3, 4, 5, and 6 games, enjoyed what I've played. Seeing the 3D models at first for gen VI, wasn't too thrilled about it, but really it was bound to happen. Portable games were only going to get closer and closer to 3D models, especially with Nintendo's line of consoles. I don't really mind the graphics, I care about the gameplay and the mechanics, which is why I love Emerald, the Battle Frontier is a monstrous challenge for me, Battle Factory is just addicting. Why I like the later games is how they made breeding easier, and Sun/Moon sold itself as instant pre-order when I read about Hyper Training. Depending on how scarce the bottle caps are, it pretty much makes hacking almost unnecessary.

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

What i'm curious about is how to get the 1st-gen pokémons on recent games. You have to get them on the original GameBoy, then transfer it to the GBA, then transfer it to DS then transfer it to 3DS?

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of the original Pokemon are present in every Pokemon game? Charizard, mewtwo, blastoise, etc? And then new Pokemon also?
Kinda. You can not catch ALL Pokémon in a single game but they all can be used in a single game via trading and transfer

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What i'm curious about is how to get the 1st-gen pokémons on recent games. You have to get them on the original GameBoy, then transfer it to the GBA, then transfer it to DS then transfer it to 3DS?
You could get all gen 1-4 Pokemon through gen 4 on the ds. Not sure about 5&6 tho

MSearles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That sounds crazy. There's no way of just hacking the Pokemon into the game rather than trading them?

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd love another Pokemon game with sprites. Plenty of sprite based reboots (eg Sonic Mania) look absolutely AMAZING.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0