• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Can We Stop With The Name Calling Already ...

• Thread starter cots
  • Start date
  • Views 33,931
  • Replies 431
  • Likes 35
Status
Not open for further replies.

atlboyz_247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People have argued that to me. Literately calling me trans-phobic because I didn't have sexual interest in them.

I don't think you should perceive that your not having sexual interests in transgender people should incite anyone to call you homophobic on that basis alone. If you aren't interested in dating a gay man, they shouldn't call you out for being homophobic either. However, it can fit under the definition on the term as you are discerning them (labeling the whole) from everyone else. Merriam-Webster defines homophobia as 'an irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals,' and discrimination's secondary definition is defined as 'recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another' though on the basis of its main definition 'the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex,' you aren't being unjust as it's your personal preference that dictates your sexual preference.

Last edited by atlboyz_247,
D

Deleted-401606

Oh, the good old "I'm not transphobe/racist/bigot but..."! My favorite kind of bigotry, makes for amusing threads <3
Dude "transphobe" and racism aren't even remotely in the same category. A person can do absolutely nothing about their race.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
People have argued that to me. Literately calling me trans-phobic because I didn't have sexual interest in them. Which in itself was a problem. So I was proving the fact that there is a counter point to be made. Other than that one time it has happened. I have no problems with trans people. People are people, and should be treated as such.
Stuff happens sometimes - I don't think demanding sexual interest is a good or ethical thing, so I'm with you here. Still, I do think there's a room for transphobia, depending on context; like, did you reject them due to not being attracted to their looks/not getting along well/not considering them a good fit for you, or did you reject them simply because they're trans? If that's the latter, and you told them off primarily because of their gender identity, that is kind of a textbook definition of transphobia.

The problem I see with OP's post is that 1) it generalizes the whole trans community based on a few flimsy examples (two of which come from conservative-biased articles), and 2) used it for an elaborate and unfriendly argument about something that isn't really a problem once you put stereotyping aside.

Last edited by Pipistrele,
Reactions: AmandaRose

Whole lotta love

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mild dysphoria and transsexualism is indeed a mental disorder, not all Transgenders suffer from dysphoria.

https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/gender-dysphoria/expert-q-and-a

I also want to add when you go through the Nature article Whole lotta love linked it’s a criticism of the Trump administration and their policies and not a criticism of U.S. scientists, I just wanna make that clear.

I included it because it relates trans rights as political movement (where we started) into a scientific understanding of sex and gender (where we ended up) in a digestible piece for lay people.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Dude "transphobe" and racism aren't even remotely in the same category. A person can do absolutely nothing about their race.
I didn't imply they're the same - I'm talking more about the common kind of bigotry where someone makes a bigoted statement while trying to prove they're not a bigot c: Trans-related issues aren't that simple either though - gender dysphoria is a thing after all, and there's not much you can do about it either.

Last edited by Pipistrele,
Reactions: atlboyz_247

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I said a minority of trans are doing that, never said the majority, funny though as I thought it's all about the minority (or does that only apply when it's convenient?). Also if you search through Reddit you'll find more than just one example - and that's just one site. Search more? I realize that trans people get assaulted more often than some other groups, but this thread isn't about this and while it's no excuse trying to force yourself on others when they don't want you is a good way to end up being hurt. Not that it makes it right, it's just how things work. Maybe if you want to discuss assaults on them start you own thread and I'll gladly share ways to stop certain behaviors that others would assault you for and also comment on good ways to defend yourself. I'm not going to get into that here because it's off topic

Funny how the fact I want to talk about the huge rate of trans people getting sexually abused is off topic but you are now going on about trans people having mental disorders. What the fuck had that got to do with your original post. Nothing but it's OK for you to go off topic but not me. Once again you are a hypocrite.

Anyway its kinda hilarious that haters always say oh it's a mental disorder yet the world's leading medical organisation says differently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-48448804

Last edited by AmandaRose,

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that you are trying to prove that you shouldn't be distinguished as a homophobic person as the definition is defined on many credible sources, but as it stands, you fit under the umbrella of the definition as defined by the current definition as it stands today since you mentioned before how you've applied your discrimination of transgender people to the whole community based on the behavior of the few that you've encountered (one of your earlier posts mentions how you avoid transgender people due to the behaviors of a few and that you've legitimized this thought of discrimination because of them).

I'm not saying that you'd be wrong if the word was redefined to your liking, but as it currently stands, it is what it is due to the word being defined as it is, and it's hard to understand why you can't admit to this fact as it is true due to the way it is defined today.

I believe that most members that have been arguing against you just want you to admit that under the current definition, they're right. You may disagree and be uncomfortable with the statement, but it's the truth as the

If you read into the definition it clearly states an extreme dislike or adversion and when you lookup a adversion the definition also includes an extreme or very strong. It's not simply disagreeing or disliking something. That's not a phobia and I can't help it if you're interpretation is off.

Even if you're interpretation was valid, do you agree with the way trans people are trying to control or otherwise deny you a voice, censor you, shame you for simply disagreeing with them? Forget about the forced sex part as I'm asking you about how do you think about the majority of the trans who are using the term in a controlling manner? This was part of my original complaint.

Last edited by cots,
Reactions: Joel16

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://spectator.us/transphobic-question-transgenderism/

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20160306014901AAupIXS

https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/...ender-confusion-is-a-mental-illness.454460439
https://www.feministcurrent.com/2018/11/19/compassion-cover-transgender-allies-dodge-debate/

https://ryanrittenhouse.wordpress.c...and-reinforcing-the-false-dichotomy-of-gender

https://www.reddit.com/r/asktransgender/comments/3o2wwu/am_i_being_transphobic/

Man, all of this simple searching is so hard it makes me value those social media representatives jobs. Yeah right. It's funny how people want you to hold your hand and not do a damn thing on thier own. Anyway, those are some of the best examples I found in under 3 minutes out of like 500 some articles basically addressing the same issue.

Last edited by cots,

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I've said everything there is to really say I won't be responding to this thread anymore. In the future when a person tries to shame me, silence me , deny my rights, etc... by calling me transphobic I will sleep better knowing I'm not and will simply disregard this type of behavior coming from the vocal group in the current trans movement minority that has a toxic community that I what not part in. Thank you all for helping me work through this.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'll gladly share ways to stop certain behaviors that others would assault you for and also comment on good ways to defend yourself. I'm not going to get into that here because it's off topic

So what you have basically said is the way trans women behave ect is the reason 50% of us get raped are you being serious? People's behaviour should never be blamed for them getting raped. You are clearly one of those people who believe that if a woman dresses a certain way then it's her fault she is sexually attacked ect.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should do some more reading to learn about the scientific basic for non-binary gender identity.
You should do some reading about the scientific basic about how every person on the planet can only be born with 1 out of 2 possible genitalia. These other "genders" are made up, superficial words invented to make insecure people feel like they fit in somewhere. Kind of ironic that a group that tries so hard to force others to accept them "how they are" cant even accept their owm gender they were born with, imo.

Could you imagine if someone decided "I'm not a black man, I'm a young white child," then got surgery to change their skin color, plastic surgery, and started sleeping with young boys? Oh wait, that was Michael Jackson. Well whatever, he seemed like a perfectly normal, well adjusted member of society, right?

Just be happy youre alive kids. Maybe you dream about how the grass could be greener, so to speak, who doesnt? ...but it didnt play out that way. Life isnt fair. Get used to it. I wish I was born into a rich family with an easy life.... No surgery for that.

Reactions: cots and Joel16

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about activities that humans partake in a consensual manner that ultimately lead to their demise?
Individually, the best you can do is educate and maybe make it a bit harder to do, if it'll actually help. Individuals who actively seek their own educated demise with clear and sound mind cannot be saved. They have control over their life, the best we can do is give them the tools and environment to help make the best choices for them. They're still the ones making them and we should allow them to do so.

If it's something affecting other folks who aren't willingly participating, then it's a social issue and should be addressed through whatever social medium makes sense. One-on-one, Government intervention, education, or whatever makes sense for the context.

Dasher_The_Viral

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
audiomack.com
XP
Country
Canada
So what you have basically said is the way trans women behave ect is the reason 50% of us get raped are you being serious? People's behaviour should never be blamed for them getting raped. You are clearly one of those people who believe that if a woman dresses a certain way then it's her fault she is sexually attacked ect.

I'm very confused... Where in that did Cots state that he meant rape, when he said assault? Where did you get this "50% of us" from his statement. And finally, Judging by the context of the rest of his comment, "trying to force yourself on others when they don't want you is a good way to end up being hurt", is it not more likely that Cots could have been referring to what I've quoted from that same comment? And if it wasn't that, Cots could have been referring to actions that could lead to people being assaulted such as, for example, myself acting out due to my mental disability and myself getting the sh*t kicked out of, for the way that I had acted. (And yes, obviously, people should be able to act the way that they naturally feel inclined to [as long as those actions don't negatively effect others], but, the world isn't perfect, and bad people will make poor decisions, so, like myself, sometimes you have to adjust to society, until it is willing to change, to keep yourself safe from horrible people.)

Could you imagine if someone decided "I'm not a black man, I'm a young white child,"

Just stating a simple fact here, Michael Jackson did not get that skin treatment because he wanted to be white, he got that skin treatment due to a rare skin disorder he had which was causing parts of his skin to start to turn white, and he then decided to just turn the rest of his skin white to try to combat this.

Edit: Just realized that the 50% was more likely to be a statistic on the percentage of trans individuals who are raped, rather than a direct reference to their quote of Cots. My apologies.

Last edited by Dasher_The_Viral,

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm very confused... Where in that did Cots state that he meant rape, when he said assault? Where did you get this "50% of us"
I linked to a post that talks about how 50% of trans people get raped or sexually assaulted at some point in their life and @cots quoted what I said and replied with I'll gladly share ways to stop certain behaviors that others would assault you for which is him basically saying it's trans people's fault they get raped.

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: Dasher_The_Viral
D

Deleted-401606

You are transgender?

Dasher_The_Viral

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
audiomack.com
XP
Country
Canada
I linked to a post that talks about how 50% of trans people get raped or sexually assaulted at some point in their life and @cots quoted what I said and replied with I'll gladly share ways to stop certain behaviors that others would assault you for which is him basically saying it's trans people's fault they get raped.

Okay, I didn't notice that. Thank you for the clarification. I can see why that upsets you and I agree, it's not okay for someone to claim that someone should change their behaviors to avoid sexual assaults.

It's more important for one to be able to defend them self in situations like this, because (as it's most likely obvious) rapists don't care, they're horrible people that, more likely than not, do not care about what someone does or how they act, and are likely to assault persons regardless of an individual changing their actions.

Reactions: AmandaRose

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just stating a simple fact here, Michael Jackson did not get that skin treatment because he wanted to be white, he got that skin treatment due to a rare skin disorder he had which was causing parts of his skin to start to turn white, and he then decided to just turn the rest of his skin white to try to combat this.
I was mostly trying to use sarcastic humor to get my point across, but yes, you are 100% correct and I am aware. That's also why he always wore gloves before the surgery; to hide the white spots.

Reactions: Dasher_The_Viral
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol