• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Can We Stop With The Name Calling Already ...

• Thread starter cots
  • Start date
  • Views 33,975
  • Replies 431
  • Likes 35
Status
Not open for further replies.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always amusing to see Trump supporters preach about name calling, bigotry, and the likes. The far right are THE single largest group of extreme hypocrites on the planet.

Only extremes of either side can say things like that.
For the majority of people (who are not extreme) you are allowed to have different opinions that won't necessarily make you an extreme.

Fun fact, i've been called far right and far left within the same day. It just had to be with a different group of people :)

Both extremes are bad, counter productive, feeding each other, and generally pretty annoying to the rest of the population.

D

Deleted-401606

If you're into discussing hot button race or sex issues you're going to run into words like "bigot, racist, transphobic, etc ..." a lot. I mean, a freaking lot. Most of the time they are being used to control you and make the argument one sided. An example is if you are in a situation where a trans person wants to have sex with you and you decline to do so; suddenly you're transphobic. Say, you disagree with the trans movement and you don't want to be a part of it - you're transphobic. I mean, what ever happened to mutual consent or having a personal preference?

I came across an article by a transgender women who is "sick and tired of seeing people being subject to character assassination because apparently they’re transphobic. In many cases, these people are either absolutely not transphobic, or accusing them of transphobia is a stretch (or somewhere in between)." She said "Whatever your views are on transgender issues, chances are, you’re not transphobic. Real transphobia involves irrational behaviour and denies trans people a ‘fair go’ not at the expense of others. Real transphobia is physically hurting someone because they’re trans, or not hiring the best job candidate just because they’re trans. Transphobia can be real, but fake transphobia is also real, and throwing (or threatening to throw) fake transphobia accusations around, especially in public discourse, does not help the transgender cause."

I have a problem with REAL transphobia. The definition of a phobia includes an extreme aversion to something - not a general aversion. The term is being used out of context and too often. When people hear it they are like "Wait, am I being this?" and if you're asking yourself this question the answer is more than likely "no". People who would physically assault a trans person wouldn't think twice about asking themselves if they are a genuine transphobic person (in which case - they would be).

If I were working at a McDonald's and a trans person walked into the store and I thought to myself "I don't like this persons lifestyle choices so I probably won't like them" and proceeded to smile, ask them what they wanted, took their money and brought them their food I would not be doing anything transphobic. If I were working at a McDonald's and a trans person walked into the store and I thought to myself "I don't like this persons lifestyle choices so I probably won't like them" and proceeded to laugh at them, ask them what they wanted, took their money, short changed them and brought them their food (in which I spat in) I would be transphobic. Do you not see the difference?

The people who are overusing the term transphobic are part of the problem and are doing their cause more harm than anything else. The same can also be said and examples given in other hot button topics with terms like racist or bigot. Chances are too, in these cases, you're not!

When I see people overusing these terms to try to get moderators to shut down opposing opinions, shame you into having sex with them, participating in character assassination, trying to force you to use language only they support or basically get their own way all I see is people throwing hate for the purpose of control. It's my own personal opinion and I shouldn't have to apologize for it nor am I going to and if you fall into this trap of deception and control I'd advise you to take a stand against it.

Trans-phobic and homophobic are made up words by leftist.You are doing nothing wrong by not supporting these people's lifestyles. Many religions like Christianity and Islam condemn homosexuality so if people are giving you a hard time about your beliefs they are being prejudiced themselves.Who cares if people call you trans-phobic? Stay true to your beliefs regardless of what anyone says.You know deep down what's right and what isn't. We don't call aversion to heroin addicts "heroin-phobia" even though to the addict they have chosen a perfectly valid lifestyle. My point is that people will always defend their degeneracy at all cost and they will make YOU seem like the bad guy when you point it out to them. There was a speedrunner that didn't take care of himself at all named Cosmo(can't remember what game he ran), he had a girlfriend for a year that ended up cheating on him. After a few weeks he comes out as "transsexual" and now goes by the name Narcissa(yes from harry potter). What a coincidence that he was in love with a woman,but when things didn't work out he suddenly realized he was trans.

My personal opinion is that all humans want to be loved and not every human can easily attain said love.Being a heterosexual man is TOUGH, society chews you up and spits you back out constantly. Men get divorce raped all the time even though they are loving fathers and good human beings. Many men can't get romantic encounters for long periods of time if at all. What is the consequence of this? People turn to homosexuality and transsexualism to get those needs met. I knew someone that spent ten years without getting love from a woman before they decided to turn to men where they found that they could get laid whenever they wanted. Being a man in today's society involves taking a hell of a lot of punches with the expectation that you will keep getting back up for more until the day you day. If you aren't handsome or talented, society wants absolutely nothing to do with you as a heterosexual man and that reality makes people turn into alternative lifestyles.

Anyways,I just wanted to conclude my rant by telling you to keep your head up. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about yourself because they try to lump you into a category of people they deem as "bad". Homophobia/transphobia are not at all similar to racism and they are completely made up words to try to socially punish individuals that don't agree with their lifestyle choices. You will be alright in the end if you just block out all that noise and stay true to who you are. Deep down,you know what is right and what is wrong. Good luck my friend.

tooknie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you now going to defend sexual predators, because no one likes sexual predators?

You see, there you go again with your sensationalist comments. Are you sure you're not really Donald Trump?

I actually agree to some degree with most of your original post. My issue was with the first example you gave which I doubt is often brought up in debate and in any case such minority attitudes are far more prevelant in the straight community (fragile male egos when rejected by women) than the trans or gay communities. What your comment did was to suggest that issue is a gay or trans issue, when it isn't. In my view it was dangerous exaggeration on your part to get people to agree with you. IF your claim that such attitudes are ALL over the Internet then show me. You clearly have the Internet at your fingertips.

Reactions: AmandaRose

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You see, there you go again with your sensationalist comments. Are you sure you're not really Donald Trump?

I actually agree to some degree with most of your original post. My issue was with the first example you gave which I doubt is often brought up in debate and in any case such minority attitudes are far more prevelant in the straight community (fragile male egos when rejected by women) than the trans or gay communities. What your comment did was to suggest that issue is a gay or trans issue, when it isn't. In my view it was dangerous exaggeration on your part to get people to agree with you. IF your claim that such attitudes are ALL over the Internet then show me. You clearly have the Internet at your fingertips.

Sure, there are straight men that prey on women and try to manipulate them into having sexual relations with them. It's not much different then a trans person using the term transphobic to do the same thing to a person they are attacked to that isn't willing to consent to sex. You must realize, that I'm not talking about straight men here and their predatory behavior - I'm talking about trans people and their predatory behavior related into trying to shame or otherwise force people that do not want to have sex with them to have sex with them and they are using the term transphobic (among other disgusting tactics) to prey on others. Thanks for pointing out it's a behavior that can be found in any community, but this forum topic isn't about every community or predatory behavioral in general - it's about the misuse of the term transphobic and this situation, which I linked to (the link is at your fingers) clearly outlines the blatant abuse of the term. I mean, it's only one of the examples I listed, and quick internet search will bring up a lot more.

Even if it's a limited case, which it's not, do you believe trans people are in their right to call you transphobic because you decline to have sex with them? If so, do you believe they should be able to use the term transphobic to try to shame you into having sex with them?

Last edited by cots,
Reactions: SolidMario7

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You want to make this all about sex ok explain to me why it's acceptable that 50% of transgenders experience sexual abuse or assault at some time in their lives. Care to explains why all the following statics in the following are acceptable.

https://www.ovc.gov/pubs/forge/sexual_numbers.html

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: Xzi

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You want to make this all about sex ok explain to me why it's acceptable that 50% of transgenders experience sexual abuse or assault at some time in their lives. Care to explains why all the following statics in the following are acceptable.

https://www.ovc.gov/pubs/forge/sexual_numbers.html

It's no more expectable for it to happen to them is it is acceptable for them to do it to other people Although, statistics show that people that are the victim of sexual abuse tend to go and abuse other people. That doesn't make it an excuse. It's a vicious cycle. I don't have an answer on how to solve the problem, other than chose how you treat people the same way you would like to be treated. Don't support or participate in any abusive activity and it's more than likely not going to happen to you. Although, you see this is not the case in mine and other situations. The abuse is directed towards me and other just because we don't agree with certain aspects of the trans movement or the trans lifestyle. I don't see how emulating the activities of the people who you claim to hate and taking it out on others who mean you no harm is a solution.

Last edited by cots,

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now here's what I think: that some cis-normalized people are too narrow minded to be comfortable around people with a different lifestyle, see this other lifestyle (incorrectly) as threatening, and either consciously or unconsciously act on that perception. Looks that are a bit condescending...smiles that are way too forced...tone of voice that's just a tad too bitter. You name it. Granted: it's not as bad as openly calling names at transgenders or races, but it gives them the same level of discomfort.

I also run into the fake treatment a lot, especially from people who are supposedly the ones you should go to answers for or the ones that are called authority figures. It's really prominent on both sides of the political spectrum. They'll say one thing, but you can see it in their eyes that they don't mean it and it hurts them to treat you fairly. Although, I see this, I also realize that they are trying to and for the most part are treating me fairly. I don't particularity care why, but value the fact that I am being treated fairly. So they are faking it. Big deal. As long as it's not effecting the way I'm being treated then so be it. You can't ask them to suddenly give up their core values and beliefs, but you can demand equal treatment when it comes to things that matter. You know, decisions they make about your life - not how the fake smile makes you feel.

That's irrelevant and a fake smile isn't hurting you in a way that would be considered real transphobia. You know what the fake smile makes me feel? I feel pity. Not anger that they are giving me a fake smile, which is why judging a person on how you feel isn't a logical thing to base you entire conclusion on because everyone is going to feel different about it. If you go around basing everything you do on emotion and then wonder why you're an emotional wreck you clearly have no clue that you're doing it to yourself and need to stop (that's if you don't like being an emotional wreck).

Some people enjoy having the spotlight, being able to use a common cause to control and intimidate people, they enjoy censoring them and apparently this includes some of the people in the trans movement and one of their tools is shaming you with misused terms like transphobia. If people weren't trying to silence my opinions, removing or otherwise censoring my posts, trying to control me into conforming to believing in something that I have they have no right to make me believe in and using the term transphobia to do so I wouldn't have started this forum thread.

It's funny to have gone through so much with coming out and being rejected by society and actually been the victim of real homophobia and discrimination to grow older and then receive the similar treatment again by people that are supposed to understand.

Last edited by cots,

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems a LGBTQ couple were told they had to kiss each other and then were beaten because they refused to kiss. If it's wrong to try to force a LGBTQ couple into simply kissing, how is it right for a trans person to shame you if you won't have sexual intercourse with them? Neither are right. Just because you're trans and it's a hot button issue with some people doesn't mean you get a pass. You're still responsible for your own actions.

Last edited by cots,

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems a LGBTQ couple were told they had to kiss each other and then were beaten because of it. If it's wrong to try to force a LGBTQ couple into simply kissing, how is it right for a trans person to shame you if you won't have sexual intercourse with them? Neither are right. Just because you're trans and it's a hot button issue with some people doesn't mean you get a pass. You're still responsible for your own actions.
Wow, that is your takeaway? You have issues. Like, not a good person issues.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
He can no longer hide he is transphobic after that comment. That was the lowest of low using a horrendous crime and turning it back on the trans community.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lmao, this thread though... You can call me whatever name you want, still not having sex with a trans person. When is Mr Musk colonizing Mars? I wanna volunteer for the first crew. Fuck this planet and everyone on it. Previous generations delt with wars and the great depression, while in 2019 we're crying because we failed 1st grade biology and have difficulty identifying what gender we are, or we have people like @Taleweaver who are upset because people accepting their bizzare lifestyle arent being "genuine" enough or some rediculous garbage. I literally had no opinion on the LGBT community whatsoever until the topic exploded on the internet. People that use buzzwords like transphobic to support their own private agenda need to take a step back and realize all they are doing is making their entire community look bad. Unfortunate for those in the community that are pushing for real changes that actually matter.

Reactions: cots

Whole lotta love

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're into discussing hot button race or sex issues you're going to run into words like "bigot, racist, transphobic, etc ..." a lot. I mean, a freaking lot. Most of the time they are being used to control you and make the argument one sided. An example is if you are in a situation where a trans person wants to have sex with you and you decline to do so; suddenly you're transphobic.

Most trans people don't think you're transphobic if you don't want to have sex with a trans person.
Note that your Daily Wire article mentions ONE person who believes this.

The Daily Wire is pegging an entire community with the opinion of one member of that community.

If I find a four leaf clover in a field of clovers, I can't just say "this is a field full of four leaf clovers".
This is an example of the Faulty Generalization fallacy.

Say, you disagree with the trans movement and you don't want to be a part of it - you're transphobic. I mean, what ever happened to mutual consent or having a personal preference?

How does one disagree with the trans movement and not be transphobic? If you think all trans people are just "making it up", how could that be anything other than anti-scientific prejudice?

For example, if I said "I disagree with the gay movement" and think that gay people are simply just mentally ill, how could I be anything other than prejudiced against gay people? As is true with trans people, there is no evidence that being gay is a mental disorder, despite what many people (without scientific backgrounds) believe.

D

Deleted-401606

Lmao, this thread though... You can call me whatever name you want, still not having sex with a trans person. When is Mr Musk colonizing Mars? I wanna volunteer for the first crew. Fuck this planet and everyone on it. Previous generations delt with wars and the great depression, while in 2019 we're crying because we failed 1st grade biology and have difficulty identifying what gender we are, or we have people like @Taleweaver who are upset because people accepting their bizzare lifestyle arent being "genuine" enough or some rediculous garbage. I literally had no opinion on the LGBT community whatsoever until the topic exploded on the internet. People that use buzzwords like transphobic to support their own private agenda need to take a step back and realize all they are doing is making their entire community look bad. Unfortunate for those in the community that are pushing for real changes that actually matter.

This community attracts a crazy amount of transexuals, I have absolutely no idea what there correlation is between LGBT and gameboys but it is definately there.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of this thread seems to be about prescriptive grammar, meaning "this is the right way to use it", which is just a red-herring for the most part.

Switch to descriptive grammar. That is, what is the phenomena being described? What is the word trying to get across? Focus on the goals of the words, not the words themselves. What are people trying to convey when they say a word, not "what is the actual, proper use of this word, traditionally".

Otherwise you're just avoiding the topic entirely and going around in circles.

Here's a little relevant pro-tip on how to be a proper human: people are people, first and foremost. Highlight the similarities, embrace the differences. realize your fear or discomfort are a you problem, and not a them problem. And when in doubt, ask someone from the group you're curious about. The universe is vast and forever weird. Be comfortable with the fact you do not know how it works, and allow others to change your perception of "normal". Understand there is no end-point; this is a life-long process that never ends.

okay, that's all I have to say for now. stay weird, humans!

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most trans people don't think you're transphobic if you don't want to have sex with a trans person.
Note that your Daily Wire article mentions ONE person who believes this.

The Daily Wire is pegging an entire community with the opinion of one member of that community.

If I find a four leaf clover in a field of clovers, I can't just say "this is a field full of four leaf clovers".
This is an example of the Faulty Generalization fallacy.

How does one disagree with the trans movement and not be transphobic? If you think all trans people are just "making it up", how could that be anything other than anti-scientific prejudice?

For example, if I said "I disagree with the gay movement" and think that gay people are simply just mentally ill, how could I be anything other than prejudiced against gay people? As is true with trans people, there is no evidence that being gay is a mental disorder, despite what many people (without scientific backgrounds) believe.

Because simply disagreeing with the way the trans movement is being played out doesn't make you phobic of anything. If I were transphobic please explain to me or to my trans friends who aren't involved in the current movement why I'm phobic. Simply disagreeing with the way things are doesn't mean you have a phobia. You realize I'm open to dating a trans individual and like I already said I have trans friends who think people who are abusing the term transphobic is wrong.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, the DSM categorizes trans people with a mental disorder, but having a mental illness is nothing to be ashamed about as I also have friends who are mentally disabled.

You have hetros trying to force LGBTQ to act in a way they don't want to and this is wrong. I totally agree. So you then have trans trying to force you into doing something similar, but this is okay and you're transphobic because you won't comply. If that's the case then what would you label the lesbian couple that refused to comply? What sort of bad word would you use or how would you shame them?

I also disagree with how many homosexuals go about doing things. I've had long talks with some of my homosexual partners about this. Clearly, since I simply disagree (like with the trans movement) I am homophobic, correct? You see how moronic that is. Homophobic people don't date other men on a regular basis. Simply disagreeing with a current movement or a particular group of trans people and how they conduct themselves doesn't make you phobic of anything.

Labeling other people with a word with the intent to manipulate and control them because you refuse to take responsibility for your own actions and also because you're intolerant of others beliefs and want silence them so you can continue to be irresponsible and force your will onto other people is wrong. Isn't that what the LGBTQ community is supposedly against? These LGBTQ members who are doing this need to stop.

Last edited by cots,

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, the Daily Wire isn't the only example of trans predators trying to force shame others into sex. Reddit is full of others, even LGBTQ members who have been preyed upon.

I know this in a minority of trans people we're talking about (the ones calling you transphobic because you won't have sex with them). However, everyone seems to be focusing on minorities as the trans population is like 4% . So why is it okay for you to focus on minorities and not okay for me to do the same? You must also realize that was only one example of the many different ways the term transphobic is being used to justify hate.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This community attracts a crazy amount of transexuals, I have absolutely no idea what there correlation is between LGBT and gameboys but it is definately there.
The only correlation is that gaming is an inclusive hobby, and trans individuals don't have to worry about being physically assaulted online. It's not like these people exist only on the internet, but they are given more free reign to express their thoughts and opinions here.

Reactions: AmandaRose

cots

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's just too bad people are letting themselves be manipulated by certain trans people abusing the term transphobic. People should focus on real phobias like what happened to the lesbians in the UK. Getting your nose broken is a result of a real phobic person.

Also moderators, site administrators, news outlets shouldn't cave into their demands just because they want to avoid the attacks that will follow from the control freaks who didn't get their way. People in general should not condone such behavior and focus on real transphobic topics - like the Dallas killing's. By abusing other people the trans community is only going to attract more hate. You see abusing the term is counterproductive and only leads to other people disliking them even more. You're making us in the LGBTQ community look bad by doing so. PLEASE STOP!!!

Last edited by cots,
D

Deleted-401606

The only correlation is that gaming is an inclusive hobby, and trans individuals don't have to worry about being physically assaulted online. It's not like these people exist only on the internet, but they are given more free reign to express their thoughts and opinions here.
Yes but why gameboy/3ds/switch? Why don't you see so many flamboyant LGBT members on se7ensins or other xbox forums? I find it extremely strange that Nintendo consoles attracts LGBT members more than other gaming platforms.I am wondering if it is maybe the cutesy themes of nintendo that attracts this particular group of people.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes but why gameboy/3ds/switch? Why don't you see so many flamboyant LGBT members on se7ensins or other xbox forums? I find it extremely strange that Nintendo consoles attracts LGBT members more than other gaming platforms.I am wondering if it is maybe the cutesy themes of nintendo that attracts this particular group of people.
Well, Nintendo has perhaps a wider appeal than just about any other gaming company. Not only can their games be played by kids or adults, Nintendo also develops games in nearly every genre and tailored for every skill level. Bottom line: Nintendo is incredibly proficient at what they do, and because of that, they're incredibly proficient in turning people into lifelong fans. The sexual identity of those fans is pure coincidence, though we can probably infer that games like Gears of War and God of War aren't quite as appealing to the LGBTQ community at large as Nintendo's offerings are.

Reactions: cots

Alicias_lance

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thread is cringe: first of all just because you disagree with a movement doesn't mean you despise the things the movement stand for. An example would be not agreeing with a Socialist movement because you feel certain things in their manifest are wrong, but you like certain aspects of Socialism. In other words you don't completely disagree with what their saying, but you just think they are going about it the wrong way. To think that a person that disagrees with a particular movement is the complete opposite of what they represent is extremist. If you are white, you must oppose black, if you are black you must oppose white. Its chess mentality, which is the mentality of war.

Second, saw a lot of name calling by some people in the thread: name calling is bullying in general. If you have to personally attack a person during an argument, it doesn't matter how right you are resorting to such demeanor is pathetic and it makes you look stupid. It just makes it seem like you not very intelligent and can't find any other way to defend your argument so you resort to attacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you @SylverReZ