Hacking Can we port Nintendo Switch OS on Nvidia Shield TV?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both of their Archs are PPC, and the G4 is a more powerful machine
It has more RAM, and its most powerful config was 2 G4s running at 1.42 GHz
newer arc, and environment, emulating older arc, and older environment
If it was that easy, why wasn't an original Xbox emulator released in the 2000s? (There's one in development now, but it's still far from complete, and AFAIK it doesn't really take advantage of the host system being x86.)

There's more to systems architecture than just the CPU. Among other things, Wii's GPU is a completely custom setup that doesn't match any standard desktop GPU.

EDIT: Added more quotes for better context.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +quotes

JellyPerson

https://discord.gg/BMVma8j
Banned
Trophies
Website
https.htp
XP
Country
Korea, North
No shit lol, I think about everyone knows this.

You could also back up your legit games, and then run them on the switch. Not all the games on the switch use the full 4gb, so some games would work. it doesn't need rails, You can sync through bluetooth silly.

You don't realize, that just because it doesn't work in one instance, doesn't mean it doesn't work in all instances.

Give me an example of a console's OS being virtualized/installed (not emulated) on a machine other than the console itself.

JellyPerson

https://discord.gg/BMVma8j
Banned
Trophies
Website
https.htp
XP
Country
Korea, North
If it was that easy, why wasn't an original Xbox emulator released in the 2000s? (There's one in development now, but it's still far from complete, and AFAIK it doesn't really take advantage of the host system being x86.)
Wouldn't that be nice.
However, we're talking about virtualization/the installation of the OS. The Xbox is a complicated machine to emulate because not only are the syscalls different from Windows, the GeForce chip in it is not really a GeForce 3, rather it is technically a GeForce 3.5. And just because it is one does not mean it is easy to work with. also most Xbox games run in kernel mode, giving them almost direct access to the hardware.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can't name one off the top of my head, But your Example is also using Emulation, so what does that say?
No no no no no. They both run on a PPC CPU and the GPU in the G4 can be upgraded to something better than a Hollywood. That isn't emulation. You could (in theory, not reality) install the Wii Menu on a G4 WITHOUT EMULATION, but that won't happen.

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No no no no no. They both run on a PPC CPU and the GPU in the G4 can be upgraded to something better than a Hollywood. That isn't emulation. You could (in theory, not reality) install the Wii Menu on a G4 WITHOUT EMULATION, but that won't happen.
No, Goodness, that is still emulation. it might still be same ppc, and arc, but it's still emulation.

DeoNaught

Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nope. I'm not using Dolphin. I'm talking something like QEMU.
Something like virtualization.
and this is just ploping the os in there? Yeah ofc that's not gonna run well, it's poorly optimized like that.

Oh
Give me an example of a console's OS being virtualized/installed (not emulated) on a machine other than the console itself.
haha, Wii u does it, and works flawlessly, even better actually. haha, what now?

KuDesNik_aka_VipeR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
!!!Sorry4myLNG!!!
Switch OS on SHIeld need only 4 playing dumps(piracy)
PLS do not mind about it!
Buy console from Nintendo, support platform.

Without sales, nothing good is for us...

-With love from poor Russian village)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Do they share the same CPU as well as GPU? I'm aware of the tegra x1 but that still doesn't include the CPU.
The Tegra X1 is the SoC, that includes CPU, GPU and DSP and some other bits.
I know this title sounds very strange because it's actually rather similar to another thread, but is actually very different. See Fusee Gelee, the hardware exploit as some may have saw, doesn't just affect Nintendo Switches. It also affects Nvidia Shield. However, unlike the console counterparts, there isn't (to my knowledge) a bunch of checking code that goes on during the process. So my question is, would it or would it not be possible to run Nintendo Switch's system on Nvidia Shield TV instead, to take advantage of both the extra power and devices that already exist?

The Tegra X1 SoC is apparently identical, and Switch is set up for docked mode, so I'm curious to how feasible this idea is or is not.
It would not be easy. The SoC might be the same but the rest is all different. I'd say it's possible with enough effort.
"Overclocking" the switch should be possible though, since it is the same chip, which would give the same raw performance as a Shield TV.

TheOverseer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some interesting discussion points in here. I do wonder if it could happen. But the main thing that makes me interested is Fusee Gelee. That same exploit was considered so dangerous that everything other than the Switch actually got a service warning and computer bug number because of the power of it's arbitrary code usage. That's the main reason why I'm interested in something like this and wonder if it's possible, because you own both systems from the exact same point from the exact same level and they can run exactly the same code from that point on. Like I know Horizon itself is a completely different thing, but for example, if the extra code was included, I bet the Shield could load the menu currently in the Xecuter USBs, for example. But that'd be possible because it's the same exploit, and not even a port of it.

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
In order to port anything you need the source code of the original.

Horizon is closed source so a port is impossible. At best it would be a remake of the original and the second Nintendo got wind of it, the devs would be hit with so many C&D letters they wouldn't know what to do.

THIS IS THE LEAST LIKELY THING TO HAPPEN WITH THIS CONSOLE

Expect Android running on the Switch before Horizon is running on the Shield TV

DeoNaught

Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
In order to port anything you need the source code of the original.

Horizon is closed source so a port is impossible. At best it would be a remake of the original and the second Nintendo got wind of it, the devs would be hit with so many C&D letters they wouldn't know what to do.

Expect Android running on the Switch before Horizon is running on the Shield TV
Good sir, Don't you need the source to emulate? People have fully emulated the wii, wii is closed source.

Never say never ;3

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Good sir, Don't you need the source to emulate? People have fully emulated the wii, wii is closed source.

Never say never ;3

No you don't. That is the point of emulation.

An emulator is basically wrapper that translates the instructions required by the console/platform you are emulating, into instructions that can be understood by your host machine.

Dolphin doesn't run any of the Wii/Gamecube code natively, it has dll's and handlers that interpret the various modules of the code.

A port is a direct conversion from the original running on different hardware. There is no layer in between the 2.

Cemu is written from the ground up using OpenGL to emulate the WiiU GX2 graphics instructions and the CPU instructions. This is why earlier builds showed very little of the console's OS. It is also the reason why compatibility with games is constantly evolving as the devs find ways to tweak the interpreters.

The 2 Switch emulators we have don't run the switch source code as they don't need to. The work that has been done to RE the console has allowed the devs to be able to understand how the code is handled and develop interpreters for Windows/Linux so that we can start to run the games on our home PC's.

If they had access to the source code, they could just rewrite the code to run natively as an application instead and have 100% compatibility with all the currently released games.

As I said previously

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021