Can we port Nintendo Switch OS on Nvidia Shield TV?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by TheOverseer, May 24, 2018.

1. TheOverseer
    OP

TheOverseer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    I know this title sounds very strange because it's actually rather similar to another thread, but is actually very different. See Fusee Gelee, the hardware exploit as some may have saw, doesn't just affect Nintendo Switches. It also affects Nvidia Shield. However, unlike the console counterparts, there isn't (to my knowledge) a bunch of checking code that goes on during the process. So my question is, would it or would it not be possible to run Nintendo Switch's system on Nvidia Shield TV instead, to take advantage of both the extra power and devices that already exist?

The Tegra X1 SoC is apparently identical, and Switch is set up for docked mode, so I'm curious to how feasible this idea is or is not.

gman666 likes this.
  2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    100% possible, but really unlikely that some will do it.

3. TheOverseer
    OP

TheOverseer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    The advantages would be obvious, considering it'd literally be a super-powered switch. And for dock mode titles, it'd work nearly flawlessly. It would also benefit from the Switch's near multi-task free environment, which would likely allow it to emulate devices that it couldn't handle on top of the Android system. Such as GC.

NoNAND likes this.
  4. Giodude

Giodude GBAtemp's official rock

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Do they share the same CPU as well as GPU? I'm aware of the tegra x1 but that still doesn't include the CPU.

5. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    SoC...

ry755, NoNAND, wombat2290 and 9 others like this.
  6. Lukerz

Lukerz Sloth. That's it.

Apr 24, 2017
    United States
    Maryland
    Wonder if this could work actually. I believe it would but it would take some work.

7. gman666

gman666 Cubicle Expert

Jun 4, 2011
    United States
    a cubicle
    I would really like to see this happen.. Though I love the Switch and it's fun library, I would love to see these games run at a higher resolution/better framerate. My guess is that the amount of work it takes to do this would put off a lot of willing developers. I'd like to hear from someone more technical than myself.

Last edited by gman666, May 24, 2018
  8. NeoSlyde

NeoSlyde Let us start the game

Mar 6, 2015
    Morocco
    Morocco
    No it’s impossible.

Giodude likes this.
  9. Player-1

Player-1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2016
    United States
    switches OS, horizon i believe it's called, is closed source. so it seems very unlikely that'll ever happen.

NoNAND, AdamFX990, Shadow LAG and 4 others like this.
  10. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    I like the idea that this failed console (Nvidia Shield) could get somewhat of a success after ~5 years thanks to Nintendos latest console and the OS beeing ported.
    That's all I have to contribute here. I feel that was needed, sorry. Now please carry own with this thread normaly :rofl2:.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  11. lostdotfish

lostdotfish Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2016
    Failed console? Seems to me it did exactly what Nvidia intended... showcased the ability of their SoC to deliver AAA gaming experiences enough to get the buy in from a major player in the home console market who released one of the fastest selling consoles in history using Nvidia's silicone...

12. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    Was that really there idea from the beginning? From where do you have that? I mean it's possible, but there fairly strong and diverse support of the platform (they managed to get e.g. Doom 3, Half-Life 2, The Witness, Borderlands 2: The Pre-Sequel, Matel Gear Rising on it) looks more like a try to test the water if they could come into the handheld market with there own product. That they got Super Mario Galaxy for there device in the chinese market also makes it look like they actually tried to place a console in the market to actually start selling handhelds and maybe in the very long run Android-based consoles (which I'm pretty sure is a doomed strategy at least for the coming years, who knows how and where Android will be in 7-10 years).
    I haven't seen any presentations from Nvidia itself that portrayed it just as an example for there technology in the first two years. Could be wrong and I missed something, but for that I really want a source by Nvidia.

Last edited by VitaType, May 24, 2018
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  13. DeoNaught

DeoNaught I'm here to steal memes and break dreams

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    Okay, but I want to see recovery mode on a Shield first

sureokay and TAUSENN like this.
  14. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    I doubt it will happen, at least outside of some experiments, for starters the Switch has more RAM than the Shield TV.

15. ChaosRipple

ChaosRipple GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2015
    United States
    If you can, it would be no different than running a switch emulator on your computer. You wont have access to eshop and online services due to not having a console certificate.

16. Type_O_Dev

Type_O_Dev GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    Xda-developers forum has a lot of good info on the shield and even have l4t ported over.

The shield uses fastboot and adb for flashing that would need to be ported over

It would prob ne easier getting android open source project running then stripping drivers out of shield

Last edited by Type_O_Dev, May 24, 2018
    Subtle Demise likes this.
  17. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    The huge difference between porting the OS and a NX emulator would be that the OS wouldn't be emulated, but run directly on compatible hardware.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  18. ChaosRipple

Oct 1, 2015
    United States
    Yes you are right about that. I should have been more clear. I more meant feature wise. However, even speeds might not be much of a difference. Emulated code is slower, but PCs have way more computing power than the nvidea shield.

19. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    It's also portable unlike a desktop PC (even if you compare it to a laptop it's portable in a nicer way for a gaming console that needs no keyboard) and you get a high compatibility right from the beginning since you actually have the hardware instead of implementing the behaviour of the hardware in software (the downside is you never reach 100% compatibility e.g. because of the fewer RAM).

Last edited by VitaType, May 24, 2018
  20. ChaosRipple

Oct 1, 2015
    United States
    There are definitely pros and cons to each. The question would then be, would any developer out there be interested in porting it over? A lot of reverse engineering and time would be invested.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted