Homebrew Discussion Can we please relax with the Boot logos?

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
TX might use sept right now. like on my idea, they can run sept in background and you only see SX bootlogo.
I would like to see anything similar in atmosphere. clean all that bootlogo sequence. one for all.
and if possible, an animation instead of a static image.

They were separated for a reason: Every part does it's own task. They can be merged together but then your switch would still 'reboot' to a different part of the file.
The reason why it are separate files is code separation and to make it modular. Atmosphere aims to be as modular as possible so you can replace the sept/bootloader if you have a better implementation of it.

The fun part for now is that team Atmosphere is by far the most capable dev team on the scene, so there is no reason yet to replace or merge parts in the boot proces.

WRONG, just because something is free or open source doesn't mean you don't have the right to complain. This is some dumb ass logic.

Also since its open source, its good to critique it so that it improves.

You can have constructive criticism, or submit a pull request. Complaining while not understanding the fundamentals of the software you are using is annoying as hell.

Reactions: Dichotomy754

The14thfly

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
They were separated for a reason: Every part does it's own task. They can be merged together but then your switch would still 'reboot' to a different part of the file.
The reason why it are separate files is code separation and to make it modular. Atmosphere aims to be as modular as possible so you can replace the sept/bootloader if you have a better implementation of it.

The fun part for now is that team Atmosphere is by far the most capable dev team on the scene, so there is no reason yet to replace or merge parts in the boot proces.

You can have constructive criticism, or submit a pull request. Complaining while not understanding the fundamentals of the software you are using is annoying as hell.

While that is true that you can submit a pull request (pretty sure its already been submitted), saying that you should should be quiet because "iT'S fReE!1" is dumb. Free or not free, it should still be critiqued, and this is constructive criticism. The extended boot time due to the sept + atmosphere logos is there just to feed SciresM's ego and it's silly. It was placed there so that "TX doesn't steal atmosphere's source code" how ever tx managed to bypass the logo, so the sept logo still being there is extremely silly.

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
in my case, i'm not complaining about so much bootlogos.
I just would like to express my opinion and leave my idea upon the table.
I think it would me more "professional" to remove so much bootlogos and turn them in only one nice boot animation!
I'm grateful atmos exists.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TX might use sept right now. like on my idea, they can run sept in background and you only see SX bootlogo.

I don't believe that is possible. TX released their update before Atmosphere during the last key change, so they don't need to and certainly don't.

No sept is separate because they want to protect their exploit. There is no technical benefit to it, previous releases were delayed due to them wanting to keep their exploits secret for as long as possible & this was one way round it. They keep the key necessary to build it a secret because they don't want TX to be able to change it to remove the logo.

Last edited by smf,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't believe that is possible. TX released their update before Atmosphere during the last key change, so they don't need to and certainly don't.

No sept is separate because they want to protect their exploit. There is no technical benefit to it, previous releases were delayed due to them wanting to keep their exploits secret for as long as possible & this was one way round it. They keep the key necessary to build it a secret because they don't want TX to be able to change it to remove the logo.
Sept also requires certain key(s) to compile that the public don't have access to. Merging everything into one would mean that no one would be able to compile Atmosphere or any part of it without having said key(s).
This makes it harder for people to contribute as you can't test your changes unless you are part of the small group that is in on the knowledge. Which wouldn't be beneficial to anyone as it would hold back progress.

I would prefer if it was more open and the knowledge was shared freely, and if that was the case merging sept into Atmosphere wouldn't be such a big deal, but as it stands now keeping them separate seems the best course of action.
I understand there are reasons to keep some of the information private though. Sharing said key(s) with the public might not benefit anyone, as the general public should not have to make changes to sept anyway, and keeping it private at least makes TX' job a bit harder. So by that reasoning, keeping it private makes the most sense for the time being. This may change over time though.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ditto on this, I hate how the free-CFW scene is so fragmented. If everyone worked together I am sure it would go faster than it already it.
Wait, you have nintendo icon. I don't get that???
THERE'S a reason why crackers keeps the founds for their own: there were some dragqueen drama who leaks Switch exploits on the wild, and there was a temper who even sold exploit to Nintendo betraying every us.

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
Keeping sept separated is not the problem.
Dev can split atmosphere in 1000 pieces. each one with their own bootlogo.
He can then build a fusee-primary to run them all in a row (including sept) and show only one boot logo.
The problem is if he wants to do it or not!... it's a personal choice.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a big deal if you are just booting up once for an hours long game session. If you are trying to debug homebrew that keeps crashing the OS then it does get a little long and annoying.

I'm guessing the hekate bootwait is the only one that can be bypassed and the others have a negligible amount of time used to display the logos while processing in the background.

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
It's not a big deal if you are just booting up once for an hours long game session. If you are trying to debug homebrew that keeps crashing the OS then it does get a little long and annoying.

I'm guessing the hekate bootwait is the only one that can be bypassed and the others have a negligible amount of time used to display the logos while processing in the background.

Debug payloads are not the same as public releases payloads...

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, most of you were saying the delays were artificial, which wasn't the case. The reduced boot times were the result of various speed optimizations in Fusee
Aaaand they also were artificial as said in the release notes xD

Unnecessarily long splash screen display times were reduced.

Yeah, unnecesary seems to imply that "they were not necessary".

Reactions: Xiphiidae

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you really can't figure it out - regardless of what the individual may have done wrong, referring to a trans woman as a drag queen makes you look like an arsehole.
sorry, my academic english teacher didn't teached me what urban words. and i don't feel sorry, those ones are also thieves who stole Scires' works and published them without author's consent.

those dragqueens are even more dirtier as thieves.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aaaand they also were artificial as said in the release notes xD

Unnecessarily long splash screen display times were reduced.

Yeah, unnecesary seems to imply that "they were not necessary".
Take a look at the commits for 0.9.3... there were several optimizations in Fusee.

Also I’ve already tested if they were artificial, and the results showed they weren’t.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
sorry, my academic english teacher didn't teached me what urban words. and i don't feel sorry, those ones are also thieves who stole Scires' works and published them without author's consent.

those dragqueens are even more dirtier as thieves.
Hm, thanks for confirming that the reason you look like an arsehole is that you're an arsehole.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos