Suggestion Can we please have a 3DS homebrew release / documentation related sub-forum ?

tortoise

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The sad truth is that the vast majority of those who follow this section of the forum have little to no intereset about hacking and developing homebrew on the 3ds.

All they care is acquiring a device (or whatever else is needed) to load commercial games downloaded from the net.

When I come here, I find it almost impossible to sort through countless threads about pirating devices and whatnot, that get endlessly bumped.

The topics relevant to this section (hacking and homebrew, remember ?) are scattered and hard to come by, since they get updated way less often, as is normal with development related threads (a lot of time may pass between updates).

What's most insulting is the low respect shown for those who publish their homebrew efforts, derided by anyone with a keyboard because they do not unlock region control, or can't compare with triple a games developed by tens of people with official sdks.

I understand that this is mostly a kindergarten forum... but I felt the need to speak my mind anyway.

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
alot of the homebrew is in different formats.
there's a wiki page for all of them but it's not updated very well and it doesn't really have download links.

there are launcher.dat, .3ds, Ninjhax .3dsx files aswell as ones released in pure source code. So it makes it hard to have them all in the same place in the same format.

You're welcome to compile all the homebrews and fix up the wiki page if you want.

Truth is there aren't many homebrew games at all anyway, there's only a few proof of concept ports of existing homebrew games.
Though I agree we should be giving it more credit.

tortoise

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
there's a wiki page for all of them but it's not updated very well and it doesn't really have download links.

there are launcher.dat, .3ds, Ninjhax .3dsx files aswell as ones released in pure source code. So it makes it hard to have them all in the same place in the same format.

You're welcome to compile all the homebrews and fix up the wiki page if you want.

Truth is there aren't many homebrew games at all anyway, there's only a few proof of concept ports of existing homebrew games.
Though I agree we should be giving it more credit.

Thanks for contributing to the discussion: you are right, there are many different outlets for homebrew, especially in these early days.
As about me, I just would like to see a sub-forum with a topic for each homebrew release, no matter how partial or volatile it is, just a topic with any pertinent means to follow/enjoy/learn from it (source code/executable/documentation).

As about the wiki page, and the current state of documentation of the existing homebrew attempts, I have nothing but utmost respect for those who embarked on such a task, no matter how outdated or partial the attempt.

I just don't want to see homebrew related threads get lost in a see of pirating-related topics, as with every day that passes by, this section feels more and more like a shopping window for pirating devices.

Reactions: SLiV3R

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You Sir have both my admiration and my respect. This place has really degenerated over the past month or so especially.

Kindergarten is a pretty apt description unfortunately. At the best of times it feels like the average internet user you interact with is a 14 year old boy; so I'm not sure how you'll fare in trying to initiate mature and/or intelligent conversation. But I think its a conversation we need to have.

The 3DS scene has really taken off over the last couple of months. I think perhaps it's time we looked at splitting this board in much the same way the DS boards have been; "Flash Carts and Accessories"; ROM hacking and translations"; "Emulation and Homebrew" and so on.

Discuss.

Reactions: SLiV3R and tortoise

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been waiting for a while for things to get more organized in the 3DS department, as more and more advances are made, it becomes harder and harder to keep track of it all. I wish there were a single thread directing to all the other different sections of the 3DS scene, saying "this is what you can do, this is where you find what you need to do it."

I've been hanging for a few days now waiting for someone to help me out in the rom to cia conversion thread, probably because the more junk threads users post, the further down it gets pushed. Someone with the patience and skill should make one thread to rule them.

Reactions: tortoise

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm with tort, I don't give a rats ass about piracy. I just want to browse homebrew related information, and quite frankly right now that's a nightmare on here. Splitting up the home brew and piracy into separate forum sections would make my day!
Exactly my thoughts. Just asked Cyan in a PM. I mean, why can't it be like the NDS subforum? Flashcards get their own section and so does hacking and homebrew.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just answering the thread's title : I already asked the other staff members with power to modify the forum for new sections but didn't get any answers or result.
I hope it can be granted soon, as the current forum is all mixed with different subjects.

Edit:
It's in the process to be done :)

Because I'm ALONE in updating and doing the job.
I wonder if it really interest other users to have a place with a list of existing projects (not lost in a forum's history), with proper and updated informations, links, etc.

I guess everyone want results without participating.
I created the templates, I listed ALL (up to last week) homebrew released projects, it requires a page creation for all of them now. it requires time to do it alone.

As it's long to create a proper page for each projects, I started adding links to git or forum on the homebrew list description column. but it will be removed when a proper page is created.

edit:
I re-asked and hope it can be done soon.
It will be a hard job to move all existing threads to their respective new sections, but little by little it can be done. Users will be requested to report threads to be moved too.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Err, news flash, this forum/community always was about piracy/backup loading first and homebrew second. Trust me. GBA, NDS, Wii etc. Homebrew is just a side-kick here. And to make matters worse, one would argue that iOS and Android made homebrew even less interesting now.

Reactions: Margen67

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Err, news flash, this forum/community always was about piracy/backup loading first and homebrew second. Trust me. GBA, NDS, Wii etc. Homebrew is just a side-kick here. And to make matters worse, one would argue that iOS and Android made homebrew even less interesting now.

Not exactly. It only seemed that way because of the flashcart and home-brew segregation itself. Both were equally active. GBAtemp does not advocate piracy(you don't see any roms here now do you).

and homebrew by technicality only means indie software but it can also be defined to include translations,rom hacking and whatnot.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Not exactly. It only seemed that way because of the flashcart and home-brew segregation itself. Both were equally active. GBAtemp does not advocate piracy(you don't see any roms here now do you).

and homebrew by technically only means indie software but it can also be defined to include translations,rom hacking and whatnot.
Piracy/backup loading discussions outweight homebrew discussions by far. It's a fact.

capz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Piracy/backup loading discussions outweight homebrew discussions by far. It's a fact.
that's fine, isn't it? its not about quantity, but organization of topics. I like this website, and I come here to read up on whats happening with 3DS homebrew. You come here for something else. That's fine. But it shouldn't be the case that we can't find what we're looking for because the amount of non-homebrew posts makes it hard to find anything else.

Just answering the thread's title : I already asked the other staff members with power to modify the forum for new sections but didn't get any answers or result.
I hope it can be granted soon, as the current forum is all mixed with different subjects.

Because I'm ALONE in updating and doing the job.
I wonder if it really interest other users to have a place with proper informations, links, etc.

I guess everyone want the result without effort.
I created the templates, I listed ALL (up to last week) homebrew released projects, it require a page creation for all of them now. it require time to do it alone.

As it's long to create a proper page for each projects, I started adding links to git or forum on the homebrew list description column. but it will be removed when a proper page is created.

edit:
I re-asked and hope it can be done soon.
It will be a hard job to move all existing threads to their respective new sections, but little by little it can be done. Users will be requested to report threads to be moved too.
I'm happy to hear that at least it's on the radar.

Also, holy crap massive props. I contribute to a different wiki on ctru-lib 3ds dev when i have the time, and considering the pace and newness of it all, documenting everything is a nightmare. So i feel you. :) Big thanks!

Reactions: Cyan

octopus

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Sorry, since this is kinda off-topic but 3DS Hacking & Homebrew section has been a mess lately. It’s impossible to keep up. I think new threads should be pre-moderated or more strict rules should apply. A lot of clueless individuals create a brand new thread if they cannot get one damn thing working.
If homebrew goes into its own section it would make things a lot easier.
I would also like to propose a proper tagging for the threads that should be mandatory. Like [Release], [Question] (why would you create a thread to ask one damn question, anyway?), [Tutorial/Manual], [Discussion], [Poll], [Badge of shame] for another useless thread, etc.
It would be even better to have sub-forums for releases (like tools, hacking programs) and discussion.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
releases could be done in the Homebrew news section, with front page news for 3DS related releases (Homebrew, tools, etc.)
But it would require more work, probably dedicated staff for that purpose. we had one, but he his not coming here anymore.

But if we (including developers and users too) could keep wiki page updated, it will be a good place to have all the releases in a single place not lost in forum's threads.

tortoise

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I swept through the 284 pages of the 3DS Hacking & Homebrew sub-forum, and here's a list of threads that could be moved into a more homebrew/hacking oriented sub-forum, imvho.

Of course, before being moved, each and every single thread in the list should be triple-checked by a more knowledgeable person than me, but nonetheless I gave it a try.

The fact that I could find just 143 threads out of 7092 should be self explanatory enough.

xxNathanxx: sorry, I'm not that tortoise :)

Attachments

• links.txt
    9.6 KB · Views: 452

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: