Hacking Question Can We Install Nintendo Switch on Other Tegra Device Like Shield & Ouya?

Xenorider7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just thinking......

is posible to install Nintendo Switch Os on other nvidia tegra device like Shield and ouya.

We have Hackintosh Why Not Switchtosh?

Reactions: BvanBart
D

Deleted-442439

Just thinking......

is posible to install Nintendo Switch Os on other nvidia tegra device like Shield and ouya.

We have Hackintosh Why Not Switchtosh?

Horizon is very specifically designed for the exact hardware of the Switch, it is not just dependant on the SoC.

Now if someone wrote drivers to support a new device etc. You could in theory run it, but I don't see benefits to doing so.

Last edited by ,

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i imagine even if it was possible which it probably isn't just cause the amount of work involved nobody would want to do it'd only be possible on the nvidia shield tv, or the pixel c tablet since those are the only ones with the same chips they both only have 3GB of ram vs the switches 4GB, the tablet is both more expensive than the switch and discontinued which would make that venture pointless. which leaves only one device the nvidia shield tv which doesn't have a screen or joycons and still has 1gb less ram and only cost $100 less yeah nobody is going to do all that so you can save $100 for an inferior device.

Reactions: x65943

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If possible, I can only imagine that a very small handful of games would run decent on the Ouya. Probably just some less intensive indie titles and those Neo Geo and Arcade classics.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is we never seen this happen or at least that I heard off... Xbox original was basically a PC, but I'm still to see a PC runing its native software other than emulated...

PS4\Xbox one are also basically a PC, but I'm still to see one with their OS running natively, I think the PC bios based also won't help for that.

Even though Tegra X1 is on some other devices, the rest of the hardware may be a lot different too and could be missing a lot of stuff that is built-in the Switch, specially the missing 1GB of ram like on the Nvidia Shield TV which uses 3GB and Switch uses 4GB and since its a gaming console and demanding games will be optimise for the 4GB, I think a lot of stuttering will happen if magically 1GB goes missing :).

PS Vita is also similiar to old android devices(though the SOC was more customised to the ones back then on other devices), but we still also dont see their games running anywhere else..

ps: I also wouldnt ever care to buy a crap slow performance android device for a home console when they will never be able to compete with Xbox or Playstation, I'd rather get android on the Switch it self as it would make a still considerably powerful android capable tablet.

Last edited by guily6669,

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PS4/Xbox are basically a PC in some senses yea, but they have their own mainboard layout and components. There is also a probability that X1 can run full Desktop, I don't know if anyone has tried though. I read an article a while back stating it's original OS is almost indistinguishable from Windows 8.1 on Desktop PCs.

The difference here is that Shield TV, Switch, and Jetson TX1 are all essentially the same board. That is different than containing similar components to another platform, they are the same components. I can't say for the Shield itself, but if I remember right, Nintendo pretty much went with a mostly unmodified jetson kit. I could be remembering wrong though. So far all the Jetson information I have used has been helpful anyway. The Jetson TX1 also has 4GB of ram.

I don't know if I would really bother though. Also, 1GB of RAM being missing will not make that much difference if proper memory management is implemented with swap. After all, you'd be running the CFW on an alternative device so you could do some more hacky stuff. Wouldn't be worth the time though that would probably need invested. It's likely better to port everything to Switch since the other OSs (such as Android) have open source kernels and dev kits. Even the Shield has open source stuff.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me visually the Nvidia Shield TV motherboard looks quite a bit different than the on the Switch too...

And I think the missing ram will do a lot of difference because on the console they always optimise the games 4 it which means even if you could put 16GB of ram it makes 0% difference, but if you would remove a chip of memory from it, the games made to really use 4GB will have a huge amount of problems.
IMG_3598.jpg
IMG_3605.jpg
Nintendo-switch-carte-m%C3%A8re-carte-jeu-DS.jpg

The VRMS also seem to be quite a HUGE difference in the Nvidia device looks more like PC hardware and switch more like a smartphone\tablet like.

By the looks of it, now thinking better I think even if OC is possible, I think Switch will be hard to get to the stock clocks of the tegra X1 on its hardware, but no idea...

Reactions: lordelan

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks can be very deceiving friend. I'm not saying one way or the other because it's unknown without putting the work in and would likely take more time than anyone wants to invest for such a hobbyist endeavor, but think of it more like a motherboard. My asus M5A97 from can run the bios from a gigabyte 970a-ds3p. They use the same on-board component in a very similar layout structure. The incompatible code causing it to reboot when switching from BIOS to OS can be replaced from my M5A97 as well.

I'm merely saying more is possible than credit is given for. Just dont expect someone to waste their time.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but the problem here is that its a all in one device... not PC hardware where you have motherboard, than chose your ram, your gpu...

Same way I'm using a RX580 bios on my RX480 because they are just very similar...

Now the Nvidia shield just by missing 1GB of ram in comparison to Switch I think will make the most intensive games non playable and CFW probably can't get around it, all maybe what could be done is redirecting 1GB of the nand chip as ram which is a hell of a lot slower than the ram chip and I don't know if its exactly possible on those devices to do that via software...

And the optimisation on those games I'm guessing is really hard coded in them to make use of the 4GB. Now games that don't use more than 3GB including system would probably work fine.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I think its also pointless, I would rather prefer having Nvidia Shield Tv's android ROM modded for the Switch than the other way around... I wouldn't even ever buy a low performance android gaming console with almost no games other than the regular android crap games to connect to a TV, Id rather buy a PS4 or make a Multimedia PC...

Nvidia is actually doing a good job in bringing known games to android, but sadly since they are not into the gaming market, they only bring a few games and most are even just old console games that are dead like MGS HD that any console have, Resident Evil 5...

For the price of the Nvidia Shield TV you can sometimes buy a used PC that plays almost all games out there which is way better. My friend 4 example bought a used recent Intel I3 with GTX 750ti, 8GB of DDR4 or more, cant remember and a SSD+case+power supply for 200€.

TheSynthax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We have Linux, why would anyone bother to port a more closed OS?
Because Linux is far less useful than Android for most general use cases? There's a massive Aarch64 game library, plenty of emulators already optimized, tons of media apps, etc.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Reactions: guily6669

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1