Can we get a best episodes of "Black Mirror"?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So people a while back were raving about Black Mirror, and I see various think pieces as well so that is usually a sign of something. As is my style it seems I found myself several years late to the party, however I am also wondering what the fuss was about.

For the unfamiliar it is a sci fi anthology series largely helmed by Charlie Brooker (of screenwipe, gameswipe, 20?? wipe and the like fame. Most of those you can probably find online if you search for a few seconds and the amount of times I have linked things from them over the years likely says how much I liked them. Technically I have some of his books as well but that was mainly because someone gave them to me at a car boot sale). This is to say each episode is usually standalone and explores some aspect of science, technology and near future technology on individuals or society at large.
As far as concept sci fi goes it is pretty good (usually some decent actors, characters, writing, cinematography and premises seem to be a bit on the nose or future tech is scary or exploring a darker side thereof/darker side of human nature because we are the real monsters) but I am not seeing the bestest tv evar thing. Now since TV consistently started to get really good about 20 years ago and going in for long form/DVD set/binge, and especially within the last 10 (costs of production dropping with stuff like the Red cameras), people do seem to throw that label around more easily than most of us, myself very much included, use the phrase interesting when discussing game news so I am prepared for that one.

Anyway I watched some random episodes from different series so it is possible I just got all the weaker ones and thus here I am.

Episodes I recall seeing so far. Can't be bothered to look them up for series-episode numbers nor the actual titles (not that most people remember them) so hopefully a relatively spoiler free name for those that have not seen them but enough for those that have.
Robot bees
Robot dogs
Social media kidnap
Series 1 Pilot. Princess and the porcine. Was probably a bit more topical a few years back and slightly wonky in its premise but I can take that.

Any must see episodes? Choose your own adventure was interesting enough as a concept (saw something similar with a DVD way back, and plenty of games have already gone there, but arguably spoiled by the think piece I read on it.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IMO, the original Channel 4 episodes are the best ones. That said, I still think there are several of the Netflix episodes that are standouts too, particularly from their first series.
Bandersnatch was overrated, but an easter egg laden treat to those of us that fondly remember the micro scene of the eary 80's.

Also recommend Channel 4's 'Dead Set' miniseries, which was kind of a prototype Black Mirror from creator Charlie Brooker.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one where people get blurred in real life, that was pretty creepy.

I'm two episodes into S6 and so far it's garbage.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The one where people get blurred in real life, that was pretty creepy.

I'm two episodes into S6 and so far it's garbage.
Interesting.
I thought S6 was superb. Certainly the best of the Netflix era of the show - even it's weakest episode (imo, the fourth ep) was superior to the weak to middling episodes of past seasons.
Although I did feel that only the first and third episodes really qualified as 'tradtional' Black Mirror content, with the others being contemporary yet traditional horror stories.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I liked the one where they took a current technological trend and went on a panicked hyperbole about how it would bring about a terrible dehumanizing dystopian future.

• Haha
Reactions: duwen

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting.
I thought S6 was superb. Certainly the best of the Netflix era of the show - even it's weakest episode (imo, the fourth ep) was superior to the weak to middling episodes of past seasons.
Although I did feel that only the first and third episodes really qualified as 'tradtional' Black Mirror content, with the others being contemporary yet traditional horror stories.
Episode 1 - People Love Negativity
Episode 2 - Killers Filmed their Crime
Episode 3 - Two Men Love the Same Woman
Episode 4 - Junkie Actress Becomes a Werewolf
Episode 5 - Woman is Told to Kill Three People or The World Ends

So... The most "futuristic dystopian" episode was three and even then it wasn't a big deal, it was like VR with a human body.

The definition of Dystopian:

relating to a very bad or unfair society in which there is a lot of suffering, especially an imaginary society in the future, or to the description of such a society

This season just wasn't dystopian at all. I won't bother if there's a 7th season and fuck Netflix for this shit, this was more of a corny, cheesy drama show that only a few would have seen if it weren't for the fact they labeled it Black Mirror.

Last edited by Marc_LFD,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

So... The most "futuristic dystopian" episode was three and even then it wasn't a big deal, it was like VR with a human body.

This season just wasn't dystopian at all. I won't bother if there's a 7th season and fuck Netflix for this shit, this was more of a corny, cheesy drama show that only a few would have seen if it weren't for the fact they labeled it Black Mirror.
Should probably spoiler tag that. Not everyone has seen the newest season.
The show has never been consistently good anyway. But every season always has at least a couple really good ones.
Episode 2 might not have been futuristic dystopian but it was certainly dystopian. Makes you think about how much this kind of stuff happens in real life.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
San Junipero is the obvious standout. I liked that it got name checked in one of the new ones.

We're like 3 episodes into the new ones, really liked the first one, didn't realise her and her were going to be in the same episode.

Last edited by hippy dave,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Episode 1 - People Love Negativity
Episode 2 - Killers Filmed their Crime
Episode 3 - Two Men Love the Same Woman
Episode 4 - Junkie Actress Becomes a Werewolf
Episode 5 - Woman is Told to Kill Three People or The World Ends

That wasn't what any of the episodes were about - your quotes are just simplified and slightly distorted takes on each episodes plots... which has little to do with what ANY episode of Black Mirror is actually SAYING.
Black Mirror has never claimed to be a "dystopian" show, although it is a recurring element in many of the stories... but to me it's always felt like a contemporary updating of shows like Tales of the Unexpected, Outer Limits and even The Twilight Zone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)