Homebrew Can we force enable/disable share button recording with CFW?

adamboy7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently modded my switch and set up Atmosphere on my SD card. I noticed some games have recording disabled, mainly non first party games. Of coarse there are probably some apps that have it disabled for memory allocation reasons, but so I've heard the main problem is that the recording feature is an opt-in system, meaning it's disabled by default.

There's a decent probability that some games may experience issues if recording were force enabled, some games may run out of memory, but I think it's fair to assume that most games would work fine. Has any work been done on manually toggling the feature on/off? Say for some reason you wanted to disable the feature manually for better performance, or you just really want to record a moment in game. If it's a feature we can crack, it's possible this would go hand in hand really nicely with SysDVR streaming.

One possible lead I know of is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Release 1.0 doesn't have recording enabled, but the feature was later enabled with an update. So that strongly suggests that it's a feature controlled in the app itself rather than the firmware (Maybe we could edit the firmware to globally ignore the flag?).

It might be worth unpacking the update with something like XCI-Explorer or LayeredFS. The hope is that it's just a line of code that can be easily toggled? But does anyone know of anyone going down the rabbit hole or have any leads before I drive myself insane? Thanks.

adamboy7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so it's been a bit over a day, no responses yet so I've taken the opportunity to start digging. I've found the changelog for Mario Kart 8 on Nintendo's website. Video capture was added in version 1.3.0 (listed under older updates), so the ideal comparison would be version 1.2.1 (Very small change log fixing a bug about returning to lobby taking longer than expected) and of coarse 1.3.0.

The challenge will be getting my hands on those updates. It would seem the best way of going about it above board while keeping my switch offline would be to use CDNX with my personal certificate and try to download them that way. Fingers crossed, I'll check back in later if I find anything.

adamboy7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another day has passed (And I can no longer edit my previous post, so hopefully nobody minds the triple post on my ask lol), I managed to extract my certificates from my nand only to find that Nintendo has been really cracking down on CDN access. I ended up just unpacking the v0 NSP and managed to find exactly what I think I was looking for. I unpacked the NSP using Switch Explorer. Stored in the Meta/NACP is what appers to be a JSON file filled with things like descriptions, save data information, version number, and flags for "VideoCapture": 0 and "Screenshot": 0.

I guess all that's left is to try to change the 0's to 1's, and either try and repack the game or rely on layeredFS to edit meta? If all goes well I'll probably start a proper thread to get the word out. I was unable to find anything related to this, at least not from a quick google and forum search. If all goes well we can hopefully enable recording on games that originally didn't support it, or perhaps opt to turn off recording to preserve battery life or allocate more resources to things like custom levels, more entities, whatever.

adamboy7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry you didn't get a response sooner, the Control Nacp is documented here on Switchbrew:
https://switchbrew.org/wiki/NACP_Format#VideoCaptureMode

As far as I know layeredFS does not support mitm-ing the control Nacp, you'll need to repack it if you want to try changing the video capture mode.

8BitWonder, you're my hero. I think this was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

adamboy7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't quite gotten it to work just yet unfortunately. I've managed to get to the point of extracting the cnmt file using nstool, it seems to contain things like the legal info, the manual, whatever "program" is (the file is only 304kb, waaay too small to be the game itself), and the Control Nacp that we're looking for. I can read it, but I haven't found a way to edit it or create a new cnmt without the use of the SDK (the thing that even if I did hypothetically have, would not be legal nor easy for the masses to get a hold of). The closest thing I can think of is perhaps taking another game's cnmt and attempting to repack it, but that sounds like it will definitely cause issues with saving if nothing else. I'm absolutely open to ideas, however.

Capture.PNG

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/2UeWMgjwogU?si=PfULn0Jf4XpnU6M_ Now I know how to install m.2