Hacking Can we all agree that no one should use the OTPless install for now?

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woo, two bricks due to people not reading and/or not using decent sd cards. You can literally buy a 16gb first party card for less than $10 on amazon. There is no excuse to bricking due to using a shady sd card. If you are going to attempt something you don't understand too well, read it more than once, ask questions etc.
edit: there have been more bricks from every previous major revision of the guide beforehand, and there will still be bricks. There are warnings in the guide saying that you may brick. NAND backups are great to have in the event you do somehow brick.

Last edited by ih8ih8sn0w,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Woo, two bricks due to people not reading and/or not using decent sd cards. You can literally buy a 16gb first party card for less than $10 on amazon. There is no excuse to bricking due to using a shady sd card. If you are going to attempt something you don't understand too well, read it more than once, ask questions etc.
Was there something in the guide that said verify your SD card with H2testw before proceeding with Part 3? If not then you can hardly blame the users for their bricks. As far as they could tell they did everything perfectly.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's what they say;
It is true though. Go read those two threads, people checked all the things they could have done wrong.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was there something in the guide that said verify your SD card with H2testw before proceeding with Part 3? If not then you can hardly blame the users for their bricks. As far as they could tell they did everything perfectly.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It is true though. Go read those two threads, people checked all the things they could have done wrong.
The guide should include this, yes. Still though, why are people using shady sd cards to do modifications to their consoles?

Reactions: Subtle Demise

trinhno

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I'm one of the two who reported a brick. And even so I'd still recommend doing this as it saves so much more time and trouble. I would really recommend adding a back up step to the guide before doing so though as you'd have one just in case anything goes wrong.

For those who did not read my thread and jumped to conclusion, I did not use a unreliable card. The same card and files were used to install on a few N3DSs before that and still worked after I hard-modded so again not the f**king card.

Anyway, Aurora Wright updated the software to not re-initialize the SD after the reboot so everyone should update it. I think it will fix this.

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

Kriogenic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I have done this to multiple N3DS. Literally followed the guide made sure everything was on the SD card prior and it took less then a second.
I had the typical no screen display happen but pressing select made it appear with complete before rebooting.

The only way bricks should happen is if your using a shit microSD or you weren't using the latest version of the safea9lhinstaller.

I was using 2.5 (not 2.5.1 released 3 days ago). 2.5 did have the issue with corrupted SD cards and 2.5.1 SHOULD fix that issue.

However if you are not using some cheap ebay bought SD card (or even the one which comes with the 3DS which is also very horrible) you should be fine.

So to conclude it was either human error (Which is nearly impossible with a9lhsafeinstaller V2 checking for everything before beginning) or your using a moderately cheap or old SD card which was corrupted.

I would suggest buying a quality large size microSD like a 64gb one from a known quality brand. They cost around $75 Australian dollars but are well worth it.

EDIT: So if you are positive that it was not human error and if the safe installer said it completed successfully and you believe it was your SD card then you are not completely lost. Check out this post: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-a9lh-users-recover-from-formatted-deleted-sd-card.444161/

Last edited by Kriogenic,

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Is it even possible to do a standard OTP install on a n3DS with the latest installer version or do you have to downgrade to v2.0.3 of the a9lh installer?

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Is it even possible to do a standard OTP install on a n3DS with the latest installer version or do you have to downgrade to v2.0.3 of the a9lh installer?
Use 2.0.3, but, since we already knowm the cause of OTPless brick, I think we don't need to go back.
*copypasta*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.