Hacking Can USB disk drives be used with Atmosphere? If not, where I can help out with coding?

Worldblender

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard that SX OS has a feature that allows loading titles and other files from USB disk drives, but why can't Atmosphere currently do the same? Or is such a feature already in the works? I think I can help out with coding that part if it isn't available: I just need to know where I can help out if that's needed.

I don't want to be buying larger microSD cards when I've accumulated hard disk drives and solid state drives that can give more space for cheaper. Remember that I strive to reduce e-waste by trying to avoid buying unnecessary things when possible. I don't want to be forced to purchase additional hardware just because some piece of software doesn't support other kinds.

Reactions: Teletron1

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atmosphere creators choose not to allow usb drives because they don't support piracy. You can't help them with coding.

You want to use usb drives buy SX OS there is no other option and likely never will be.

Last edited by EmulateLife,
Reactions: gizmomelb

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't own a hacked switch, but I only have about 26GBs worth of space left. I think nintendo said that there were currently no plans to add usb support, but that it wasn't completely off the table, just not on there currently. don't know about atmosphere though. when you have a 1TB micro sd card costing $430, something needs to be done.

Worldblender

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't own a hacked switch, but I only have about 26GBs worth of space left. I think nintendo said that there were currently no plans to add usb support, but that it wasn't completely off the table, just not on there currently. don't know about atmosphere though. when you have a 1TB micro sd card costing $430, something needs to be done.
The largest size of SD cards I've ever heard of so far for consumer use is 512GB. Anything larger than that doesn't really exist yet.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure if that supports larger than 128GBs though. I was hoping for some sort of an adapter to use two micro sd cards. since the port for them is behind the kickstand, there is a little room for maybe something like that.

Worldblender

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure if that supports larger than 128GBs though. I was hoping for some sort of an adapter to use two micro sd cards. since the port for them is behind the kickstand, there is a little room for maybe something like that.
Such adapters do exist, with some capable of doing up to 4 at a time (using RAID), but all of them in existence use SATA, which is not useful with Nintendo Switches at all. However, Linux distros can make use of them and most other disk drives with USB to SATA adapters, but this purpose cannot be for loading Switch games.

Last edited by Worldblender,
Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe one day. I might have to archive some games or just use a separate micro sd. I have a 128GB micro sd that was going to be used with the ez flash omega flash cart, but the person I bought it from never shipped it and that was back in June. after reading some bad reviews (mostly about losing save data or it getting corrupted), I think I might just stick with gbarunner. I have twilight menu++ on my ds lite.

DildoBaggins

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Atmosphere creators choose not to allow usb drives because they don't support piracy. You can't help them with coding.

You want to use usb drives buy SX OS there is no other option and likely never will be.

Funny, they don't support piracy, yet they made software that I basically used mostly for piracy.

Usb-support would be nice, but I guess it is better than nothing to have what we have now, as it is free anyway

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not sure where you got that since USB support can be used for loading stuff outside of piracy such as games for emulators (more than likely these are pirated but m4xw would throw a fit) or homebrew applications. Xortroll is working on a PR for USB support for Atmosphere as seen here

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure where you got that since USB support can be used for loading stuff outside of piracy such as games for emulators (more than likely these are pirated but m4xw would throw a fit) or homebrew applications. Xortroll is working on a PR for USB support for Atmosphere as seen here

Yeah I knew that, did you read the thread? That's not for loading games. The OP wanted to load titles. That doesn't exist anywhere but SX OS.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I knew that, did you read the thread? That's not for loading games. The OP wanted to load titles. That doesn't exist anywhere but SX OS.
Xortroll's implementation would allow you to install .NSP files from HDD. If i'm not mistaken, I think its already possible either with the latest Goldleaf or a beta build in his Discord server.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly install FROM hdd to sd card. So you'd still not be able to play games on the usb but just install them on there to the sd card. It's discussed in the thread. The OP in this thread again asked about playing tiles from hdd. Obviously that is a huge difference.

I'm surprised you're spending time trying to correct me on something you're wrong about and not telling the OP to post in the n00b thread like you usually do.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly install FROM hdd to sd card. So you'd still not be able to play games on the usb but just install them on there to the sd card. It's discussed in the thread. The OP in this thread again asked about playing tiles from sd. Obviously that is a huge difference.

I'm surprised you're spending time trying to correct me on something you're wrong about and not telling the OP to post in the n00b thread like you usually do.
First line of OP's post literally says:
I heard that SX OS has a feature that allows loading titles and other files from USB disk drives, but why can't Atmosphere currently do the same? Or is such a feature already in the works? I think I can help out with coding that part if it isn't available: I just need to know where I can help out if that's needed.

I don't want to be buying larger microSD cards when I've accumulated hard disk drives and solid state drives that can give more space for cheaper. Remember that I strive to reduce e-waste by trying to avoid buying unnecessary things when possible. I don't want to be forced to purchase additional hardware just because some piece of software doesn't support other kinds.
Now I don't know about you, but other files can refer to things outside of piracy. And if you actually clicked the thread I liked, there is a debug build of Goldleaf that can do that. Also who knows, maybe one of the developers will work on installation to USB. Apparently m4xw will take the reigns who I think is better suited than Xortroll.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But you know what loading titles means, and it doesn't mean installing. So stop wasting my time troll.
Ah restoring to name calling, the sign that you have lost the argument. But enough jokes, maybe not take what OP is saying so literally. I mean when people ask how to install CFW, they are not actually literally installing any form of CFW. So try not take everything at face value and maybe take out that HDD from your ass. :)

Budsixz

Gbatemp Gamemer
Trophies
XP
Country
India

Well maybe a homebrew app should be made like how people had usbloader or wiiflow on wii or like aurora on xbox360 that is an application but can act like a dashboard which allows to see stuff on connected usb hdd

Worldblender

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for telling me about this; at least I now know that someone is working on getting USB disk drive support in Atmosphere. It's better than support not going to exist at all.

Reactions: Draxzelex

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.