Can updating break loading of non-backup disks?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by davidsl_128, Oct 2, 2010.

1. davidsl_128
    OP

Member davidsl_128 GBAtemp Brightsider

Colombia
    So a friend of mine got his Wii updated to 4.3 (don't ask how, I dunno xD). He had modded his Wii before he updated, and now he can't run any games, neither backups nor original games. Which means he can't do the Smash Stack exploit, even though he managed to get a legit SSBB disc from a friend. I told him to send his Wii to a repair center, since not reading originals doesn't seem like a software issue, but I wonder if there's not another way that doesn't involve paying a huge repair fee.

2. dn_angel000

Member dn_angel000 Phantom User

United States
    Just don't send it 2 Nintendo!

3. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    What region does his Wii think it is? 4.3 won't let you run games that aren't the right region.

4. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    His Wii is 4.3U, and the game has a T ESRB rating on the cover so it's from America; both are the same region, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, he got his Wii used, and it was already modded when he got it. It seems that he doesn't know if it was modded with an actual chip, or just soft-modded as I had guessed. Is there a way to know this besides opening the Wii to see if it was hard-modded? It's kinda hard to get a 3-wing screwdriver around here xD

5. dn_angel000

Member dn_angel000 Phantom User

United States
    Well if it was softmodded all the hack done 2 it r wiped out now since the Wii is on 4.3!

6. KiiNG

Member KiiNG GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Have you tried a game besides SSBB, like Wii Sports? It could be a dirty optical lense, a known issue trying to load SSBB (or DL games.)

7. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    Well he tried playing other legit games (he mentioned DJ Hero 1) but all of them would return a disc error...