Can Ultima games be ported to DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Wololo, May 1, 2011.

May 1, 2011
  1. Wololo
    OP

Newcomer Wololo Newbie

United States
    I am a big fan of the Ultima series and I think that the Ultima games fit perfectly for the DS. I spent days searching the internet hoping that there was a project or anything like this, but I found nothing [​IMG]
    So that is my question: can the Ultima series games be ported to the Nintendo DS?

2. Ace

Member Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Sweden
    You could try playing the DOS versions of the game with DSx86. The rest.... porting would take WAAY too long without source code.

ACEDIT: For the record, there's also a NES versions of Ultima 3 thru 5 that you can emulate on the NDS flawlessly.

3. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    There are also SNES versions of Ultima VI and VII that you could try with a SNES emulator.

EDIT: According to the DSx86 compatibility list Ultima II to VI work with DSx86 (before version 0.30 came out).

4. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Ultima 1 works fine except for the space portion and Ultima 3 has a bug with character creation, specifically assigning stats. The Ultima 3 bug might have been fixed by now, though.

5. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    It's also possible that someone might try converting Exult although it may have already been attempted in the past it is feasable that it could at least be done on the SCDS2.

EDIT: I've just tested Ultima VII part 1 and 2 on DSx86 and they require 386 emulation to run. I've also tested them on DS2x86 and they require the EMS to be turned off (I'll have to get in touch with pate to see if this is possible).

6. Masked Ranger

Member Masked Ranger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    I know there was an Ultima for the NES. And I think there was one for the SNES too.

From here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_(series)#Console_games)

Ultima: Exodus (NES)
    Ultima: Quest of the Avatar (NES)
    Ultima IV : Quest of the Avatar (Sega Master System) — A faithful port of the original. Only released in English.
    Ultima: Warriors of Destiny (NES)
    Ultima: Runes of Virtue (Game Boy) — Non-canonical, action based gameplay and puzzle solving. The game's antagonist is called the "Black Knight." This is Garriott's favorite console-based Ultima.[1]
    Ultima: Runes of Virtue 2 (Game Boy, Super NES)
    Ultima VI: The False Prophet (SNES) — Gameplay adapted for the game pad. Includes plot changes and reduction in violence.
    Ultima VII: The Black Gate (SNES) — Gameplay adapted for the game pad. Includes plot changes and reduction in violence.