Hacking Question Can trying to Get into RCM mode cause your switch not to boot up

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but why wouldnt my switch boot up after? i mean it cant be a driver
You won't boot at all without a having something to load - if you're in RCM, all it will do is sit unless you have something.

Please skip the foil shit, at least try a paperclip if you're that impatient honestly.

Last edited by lisreal2401,
Reactions: Risingdawn

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

It can be the reason why your PC didn't recognize your switch as a valid USB device. The reason why it wouldn't boot up is most likely because you DID get into RCM and the only way out is to either load a payload or hold the power button for 12 seconds

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You won't boot at all without a having something to load - if you're in RCM, all it will do is sit unless you have something.

Please skip the foil shit, at least try a paperclip if you're that impatient honestly.
i pressed the power button multiple times, i didnt write the original thread very well

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
can we all come to an agreement that I had no idea what I was doing, both a paperclip and foil are bad ideas and I need to install a driver for the application to function. Thread Closed.

As long as you have the drivers installed, your PC should recognize the switch is plugged in when in RCM, then it's just a matter of using your preferred launcher. As for actually entering RCM, every method comes with a risk, it's just a matter of knowing the risks and how to avoid them

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you have the drivers installed, your PC should recognize the switch is plugged in when in RCM, then it's just a matter of using your preferred launcher. As for actually entering RCM, every method comes with a risk, it's just a matter of knowing the risks and how to avoid them
as for a jig if i where to order one what risks should i be aware of

LovesSwitch223

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't imagine why it's considered "kosher" to cram a peice of foil in your 300 dollar console yet some users on here constantly recommend it.

Those users need to take a "electronics 101" class. The sheer volume of people having issues after doing so is par for the course.

I had some foil get stuck in my Switch after attempting RCM, it took forever, but I finally got it out. I don't think the Right Joycon slot will ever be the same though...

Reactions: Kafluke

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
as for a jig if i where to order one what risks should i be aware of

Mostly the quality of it. I've heard of some really low quality ones that can short out the rail and possibly brick your system. If you do order a jig, do so from a trusted source, possibly ask other people who have jigs where they got theirs

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I feel like an idiot, poking a paperclip in there for hours trying to get it out...
I had no success trying to make a paperclip jig.

See i never had that issue. I tried to make a paperclip jig, all that accomplished was chipped paint on the rail. And i never had issues of bits of foil getting stuck as mine never tore, not even one single bit. Then again now i use AutoRCM so i don't even HAVE to use foil or any other makeshift jig anymore

Reactions: issayloki

issayloki

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Mostly the quality of it. I've heard of some really low quality ones that can short out the rail and possibly brick your system. If you do order a jig, do so from a trusted source, possibly ask other people who have jigs where they got theirs

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

See i never had that issue. I tried to make a paperclip jig, all that accomplished was chipped paint on the rail. And i never had issues of bits of foil getting stuck as mine never tore, not even one single bit. Then again now i use AutoRCM so i don't even HAVE to use foil or any other makeshift jig anymore
That is great for you that you have Autorcm :) I still not yet to convice my self to Autorcm even I use my Android phone for payload. Still I have tinfoil on my right joycon for 24/7 since I hack my switch. I still have no issue with either joycon charging and sycn problem or tinfoil stuck on my switch, which is I tapped. So I do have JIG but success rate is low and I stop using them :). Again I do not belive it will be safe but it better then paper clip :)

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That is great for you that you have Autorcm :) I still not yet to convice my self to Autorcm even I use my Android phone for payload. Still I have tinfoil on my right joycon for 24/7 since I hack my switch. I still have no issue with either joycon charging and sycn problem or tinfoil stuck on my switch, which is I tapped. So I do have JIG but success rate is low and I stop using them :). Again I do not belive it will be safe but it better then paper clip :)

The thing about AutoRCM is you can de activate it as simply as you activate it so if you think it's messing up your Switch just turn it off

Queen of SoS

Story of Seasons Queen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same thing happened to my switch but I was using a jig. I was panicking as well so I held down the power button for 15 secs, and then I left it alone for a minute. After I did that I turned it back on and it was working. I tried the jig again and then I was able to get into rcm.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aluminum foil is brittle. Peices can flake off and get stuck. Just because it worked for some doesn't make it a viable solution for all. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Aluminum foil is brittle. Peices can flake off and get stuck. Just because it worked for some doesn't make it a viable solution for all. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Just because pieces CAN flake, it doesn't mean they WILL flake 100% of the time, all the time. If i managed to use it several times without flaking then there is no reason why others can't too

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
A broken digital clock is never right, though. :P Just kidding. I wanted to take the opportunity to ask you about any developments on your community guide for Switch. Is it still going to happen? I would totally understand if you abandoned the project, since I'm sure it's very time consuming to maintain such a guide and keep it relevant. What can I say, you just spoiled us too much with the Wii U guide.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Because your Switch was still in RCM mode. With no drivers on the pc you can't send a payload, the only way out of RCM at that point is to hard reset the Switch by holding the power down for a number of seconds, similar to a lock up crash.

Ironically hooking it up to your pc was correct, as you need it in RCM mode for the pc to recognise it as an APX device, at which point you can install the relevant driver and it's full speed ahead.

But don't use tinfoil next time, not really because it's going to fry your Switch, but because if it tears and rips and you get tiny bits of tinfoil in your rail you are going to have non connecting joycons or even worse a piece being forced into the internals where it could do some actual damage.

Get yourself a jig, they're only a couple of $'s, then follow one of the complete guides in the tutorial section.

Don't rush into any console hacking, ever. Find an established and well tested guide, get together all needed software/tools, read through the guide, then carefully and methodically follow every step to the letter. Rushing, skipping steps and winging it is how people brick their devices. Don't be one of those guys ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol