can this laptop run wii emulator well?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by apollooo, Dec 19, 2012.

Dec 19, 2012
  1. apollooo
    OP

Newcomer apollooo Advanced Member

United States
  2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The second's CPU is rated almost twice as much as the first... but that's because it's got double the cores... however if clocked similarly the second is slightly better than the first... but the first has a higher clock per-core.
    So for applications that made good use of less than 3 cores, the first would be better. As far as I know, Dolphin is still mainly run on two cores, unless you use the DSP-LLE stuff on a third core for sound quality/speed or whatever, in which case you'd want the second.
    I can't really give a good conclusion here, might want to ask on the forums. If anybody comes with a smartass response like "i7 is better because it's i7", ask them for details to make sure they're not bullshitting. :P

As far as the GPU, the second is ~15% more powerful than the first. While that's not much, we are dealing with laptop GPUs here, and that 630M on the first one is a bit weaker than a desktop model 340.

Do note that the second laptop is likely to have worse battery life though, as the CPU and GPU are big drains (other than the screen).[/i]

3. apollooo
    OP

Newcomer apollooo Advanced Member

United States
    thanks for your quick reply
    well, i heard that if i purely want it just for gaming, i'd better go for i5 because someone on gamefaqs said that most games won't use all i7's power, so some of it will be wasted.i'm still skeptic about that phrase.

do you think the $100 difference worth it? and performance wise, how far can i get running dolphin with those?
    full framerate at native res? or can it run it on higher 720 or 1080p? AA on or off?

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Standard gaming nowadays is reliant on the GPU, not the CPU. The second has the better GPU, so yeah he's full of shit.

The higher resolution and AA is still that's done after the emulation, and would rely on the GPU, so the second will get you better resolutions and more AA before slowdown hits (from that type of stuff). The second is more powerful in general, and yes I think the $100 difference is worth it, especially as Dolphin is still growing in terms of core use.

5. Sakitoshi

Member Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

Chile
    for a little comparison i have a HP 2072la laptop with an AMD A8-4500M that comes with integrated graphics ATI 7640G and a dedicated AMD 7670M, the performance i get in dolphin is not that great, i can get games like Muramasa to work fullspeed at fullresolution with very few slowdowns, but heavy games like The Last Story runs at most at 50% fullspeed even if i lower the video settings at minimum, the problem there is the processor because i can do max graphics like with Muramasa and get no diference in performance.