Can the Wii U be Modded/Hacked without the need of a gamepad?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Xenon Hacks, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    So it now officialy the time to buy a wii U ;) so im just wondering do I absolutely need that over priced clunky piece of junk known as the gamepad? I have a pro controller ready and a Gamecube controller, also a Wiimote with Nunchuck (no idea if is even usable).

2. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    You cannot edit system settings to add an internet connection without a Gamepad, all the TV displays is the manual. I suppose it's possible to use browser hax to switch to it and edit some settings automatically but nobody's done it yet and you still need internet for that

VinsCool likes this.
  3. VinsCool

VinsCool Disgusted

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    An Alternate Reality
    Would it be possible to borrow a gamepad, use it to set up the connection, and put it back to the person after that?

4. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Can I temporarily use a gamepad or is it everytime I power the Wii U on that I need a gamepad to initiate whatever hack/exploit is required.

5. VinsCool

VinsCool Disgusted

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    An Alternate Reality
    You can turn it ON with a wiimote and use the browser with it I think.

6. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Yeah but that initial wifi setup thats all I need the Gamepad for then I can light it on fire?

7. VinsCool

VinsCool Disgusted

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    An Alternate Reality
    I guess this could be possible. But you will need the gamepad for many games though, so that would be tricky after all, no?
    Why don't you get a gamepad along with the WiiU? It will cost more, I agree, but it would be more profitable after all :P

8. Xenon Hacks
    OP

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    I'm a cheap bastard and the Wii U doesn't have that many exclusives that i'm interested in.

9. VinsCool

VinsCool Disgusted

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    An Alternate Reality
    Then, do as you wish :D

I was just throwing suggestions.

10. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    You can borrow one from a friend, yea, IIRC there's a "sync" button on the back which you'd press and then the corresponding sync button on the console and then probably type in the 4 symbols it asks to pair it and then the friend would have to do it again when they get it back

11. CanIHazWarez

CanIHazWarez Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2016
    United States
    There is a 0% chance you can get away with not having one. There are too many little things you need the gamepad for, even if you don't use it as your main controller. It's dumb, but that's the way it is. Don't waste your money buying a standalone console, only to discover it is useless as-is.

12. LuigiXL

LuigiXL GBAtemp Fan

Jan 19, 2016
    I actually had a Wii U without a gamepad for a while. You can operate it and play games which let you. I only wanted to play the Mario games and they let you. You do need a Gamepad to initially set up the console (or you can take it to a friends and do it) but after that youre good. Where it lacks is no access to settings or such. But for the couple of play throughs I wanted to do it was fine.

13. 4gionz

4gionz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2014
    Canada
    I have no clue why the gamepad gets so much hate. I got my wii u a few weeks ago and am literally in love the gamepad. I wish xbox and Sony had something similar. tv on sports while I play some Zelda on my gamepad:)