Can the PS3 do the same lighting effects?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by dman777, Oct 21, 2007.

Oct 21, 2007
  1. dman777
    OP

Newcomer dman777 Advanced Member

United States
    I am looking for an unbias answer. On the Xbox360, I have seen games that have neat lighting effects. For instance one game might have it where it looks like the sun is reflecting on the camera lens. For another example, in Need for speed carbon, I like how the lighting effects make it look kinda foggy sometimes. But I only have money for one system and I want to buy a PS3. I haven't seen to many games on display for the PS3, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me....can PS3 do the lighting effects as good as the Xbox360 can?

2. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    In theory both cards are very similar, with the PS3 card (in theory) being slightly more powerful.

Both cards support HDR lighting and some advance particle effects and so far games have been graphically very similar on both systems, with the PS3 lagging behind in frame rate.

3. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    It can do the same and/or better

4. cenotaph

Member cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The PS3 can do some really amazing lighting, a lot of it thanks to the Cell processor which allows for developers to easily offload lighting calculations from the GPU. Killzone 2 does this I believe and it looks fucking amazing.

Lighting is something you should never underestimate. It has made many games for me. I don't care that much for elaborate textures, just give me atmospheric lighting.

5. dman777
    OP

United States
    I noticed that about the frame rate. The games on the Xbox 360 have a lightly more smoother look in motion. Why doesn't the PS3 have that? I know the Ps3 has a stronger graphics card but does it have a strong processor?

6. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Because the developers are freaking lazy. There is no reason that a game for the PS3 should be running at half the framerates as the 360. If you take a look at most of the EA games for the 360/PS3, you find that they run 60 on the 360 while running only 30 on the PS3.

A lot of the 360 games are also running using MS DirectX APIs, which makes it easy for Windows porting. The PS3 is running on OpenGL, which makes converting between game consoles a hassle. Most of the games that have come out have all been developed on the 360 beforehand and then ported to the PS3.

So, can the PS3 do the same lighting, YES! Do the developers take the time to tap that magic from the PS3, NO!

7. dman777
    OP

United States
    Do you think that will change with in a year?

8. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    Within a year there could be an even bigger gap between the 360/Wii sales and the PS3 sales and EA (and other devs) won't have any incentive to make high quality ports because it costs money. Same thing happened towards the end with the Gamecube, although games looked slightly better than the PS2 version they didn't look as good as they could have been.

EA have already said they want a unified console gaming system.

If sales of the PS3 pick up (ie, to a price that is actually low) this would probably change.

Some devs have blamed the PS3 for being a bitch to make games on, which is understandable. I have a friend who works at EA as a programmer on PS3 projects and he was saying, if he doesn't know what to do there isn't anyone to ask for help cause no one knows.

9. cenotaph

United States
    If you're referring to EA and other port-city developers' games, probably not. They're not really that interested in optimization in order to make things run as smoothly as possible - they'll put enough work into a render path to make it decently usable, but then not bother.

If you're referring to developers who actually care about their products, then yeah, as the PS3 gains momentum and developers get more acquainted with its architecture games are likely to start looking and running better. Mind you, some the first generation Xbox 360 titles (notably Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham Racing 3) do not run at 720p but are upscaled internally, most likely 'cause the developers couldn't get them stable at native 720p output.

10. dman777
    OP

United States
    I went to the video game store today and checked out Skate on the Xbox 360. In the reviews, they said that Skate had frame rate issues on the PS3. I haven't seen the PS3 version. But when I was checking out the Xbox 360 version of Skate I still saw some frame rate issues.

11. Chevreuse

Newcomer Chevreuse Member

Singapore
    Not only Skate but also other (third-party) games that have framerate issues.

In theory, the PS3 is supposedly more powerful than the 360 let alone the cell. The real problem with the PS3 is that because coding it is hard. Developers are having a hard time with PS3 that's why if you would compare most of the games that are present in the 360 and PS3, the PS3 will run on a lower resolution, have less shaders and fewer framerates.

Sony isn't funding third-party developers money to code the PS3, those programmers are rather forced to code on the PS3.

Just give the PS3 some time and it'll even surpass the 360.

12. dman777
    OP

United States
    Well, what I am wondering is...though... is the memory. If frame rate issues are a big problem with the PS3 and the PS3 only has 256MB of ram, this could be a great bottle neck. Yes, the ram is Rambus and super fast, but what good is it if it still isn't enough memory? I am wondering if this is why PS3 is having frame rate issues. I'd rather buy a PS3 but I'm not sure if it is physically possible to get rid of the frame rate issues with such little ram.

13. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    That could be part of it but it's very possible for games to run the same or better than on the 360. As people above me have said the PS3 is difficult to program for and some companies don't want to waste their time on it because they won't sell as many copies as they do on 360 and Wii.

14. cenotaph

United States
    If you guys didn't catch this a few days ago, this blogpost by a former Harmonix (of Guitar Hero fame) developer might interest you re: PS3/360 and supposedly "difficult" development. Though, you should probably consider this as well before taking they guy's statements for facts.

15. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    It has 512MB of Memory Total. 256 for the system and 256 for the GPU. The Same with the 360 it has 512MB shared with the GPU and CPU but the maximum each one can take is 256 so it's equal to the ps3

16. Chevreuse

Newcomer Chevreuse Member

Singapore
    That statement was already implied by many developers some time ago but he just summed it all up. His statement pretty much sums up about the PS3.

17. Golds

Member Golds Old Member

United States
    i love my ps3
    what they dont tell you is you can set up a media server on windows media player and stream all of your music, pictures, video to your ps3 to watch it on a TV.
    there is a downfall on ps3 store content, that will be fixed with hd movies

the 360 has the red ring of death error, which m$ has already said they wont bother fixing it cause it will cost to much money, so if you get a 360 expect it to break at some point and you'll have to send it off to get fixed.

eventually all 3rd party games will be multi platform, so i'm not to picky on that

time crisis 4 (with gun) is ps3 exclusive.

18. mflo

Member mflo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Muahaha, I can do the same thing as the PS3 and 360 by walking outside and staring at the sun with my glasses on [​IMG]
    haha, just joking around. [​IMG]

19. Xbox360

Newcomer Xbox360 Member

United States
    Xenos (360) > RSX (PS3)

Now, then you have to factor in that the 360 gets 2xAA straight from it's GPU, no matter what game or how it's developed because it's Hardware Emulated, though 4xAA has to be Software Emulated. Now, the PS3 has to Software Emulate both, as opposed to the 360.

And on topic, no, the PS3 cannot, it's obvious I seem like a huge 360 fanboy, but just look at Halo 3 as a prime example. It uses both a High and Low HDR Lighting Effect Engine, two running at the same time, where the PS3 has failed to be on par with the 360's HDR when it was using just one engine in games.

Also, that "360 had one more year" argument is nul, remember the PS3 ws meant to be released at the same time as the 360, but was delayed for that one year. While they were waiting to finish shoving in BluRay they could of easily looked over what the 360 was doing and added something useful in.

20. Gitaroo

Member Gitaroo GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    the most impressive HDR I have seen so far is Crysis SP demo, which was much more impressive than Halo 3 even in DX9 mode. The kind of lighting can be produce in any SM3.0 capable card so I don't see any reason why the RSX can't do it since it is a 7800 based core.