Hardware Can the N3DS still communicate with the Circle Pad Pro?

Mechageo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it's big enough that it won't fit in a Circle Pad Pro, but can the New Nintendo 3DS (XL) still communicate with the Circle Pad Pro using its infrared sensor?

I imagine that it probably can't, but looking at the top of the system got me wondering. After all, that infrared window is still there on this model.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Probably, but why would you need it to? AFAIK, it's backwards compatible with games that use the CPP in the first place, using the C-Stick.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Probably, but why would you need it to? AFAIK, it's backwards compatible with games that use the CPP in the first place, using the C-Stick.

I'm guessing but CPP is much more comfortable to use and is better if it's used constantly.

I was also wondering about IR as only thing it was used was CPP, unless they wanted to keep backwards compatibility if they somehow decide to make some other peripheral to use that in far future and we are talking about maximum few euros value component here.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it won't. The n3ds registers the c stick and triggers as a CPP,as if it's already plugged in.

Only half true. Smash bros isn't compatible the CPP. Yet it is capable to use the new 3ds' additional controls.

I believe the infrared was kept for the few gbc games that used it and the skylanders portal. But I guess skylanders games could of be patched to use the built-in NFC of the new 3ds.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Only half true. Smash bros isn't compatible the CPP. Yet it is capable to use the new 3ds' additional controls.

I believe the infrared was kept for the few gbc games that used it and the skylanders portal. But I guess skylanders games could of be patched to use the built-in NFC of the new 3ds.
Still games like Pokemon would have the IR trading feature, it's never really good to strip out something if it is used by games, in regards to smash bros working with n3ds c stick but not the cpp.

I'm pretty sure that's because the old3ds goes into the special "feature lockdown mode" this mode probably just disables all non essential services like IR cpp support etc so smash bros can have as much CPU/ram access, this is also why the browser is not launch able while running smash bros and why the system reboots upon exiting smash bros, this is not the case on the n3ds.

I suppose theoretically if you could boot up smash bros in normal mode on the old 3ds the cpp might actually work with it, but I'm pretty sure smash will of been designed to work in "lockdown mode" so I'm not sure what kind of impact it would have on it's playability, or if it would even run at all without the extra CPU/ram access on the old 3ds

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
Still games like Pokemon would have the IR trading feature, it's never really good to strip out something if it is used by games, in regards to smash bros working with n3ds c stick but not the cpp.

I'm pretty sure that's because the old3ds goes into the special "feature lockdown mode" this mode probably just disables all non essential services like IR cpp support etc so smash bros can have as much CPU/ram access, this is also why the browser is not launch able while running smash bros and why the system reboots upon exiting smash bros, this is not the case on the n3ds.

I suppose theoretically if you could boot up smash bros in normal mode on the old 3ds the cpp might actually work with it, but I'm pretty sure smash will of been designed to work in "lockdown mode" so I'm not sure what kind of impact it would have on it's playability, or if it would even run at all without the extra CPU/ram access on the old 3ds
See the issue with that logic is that I'm pretty sure MH4U works in the 'lock down mode'

Also I've read that the n3DS registers as a 3ds with a CPP attached. That's why old games work with the c-stick flawlessly.

And no, CPP won't work with the n3ds just as I said before.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
See the issue with that logic is that I'm pretty sure MH4U works in the 'lock down mode'

Also I've read that the n3DS registers as a 3ds with a CPP attached. That's why old games work with the c-stick flawlessly.

And no, CPP won't work with the n3ds just as I said before.
Well i suppose the game could easily be designed to not load up cpp compatibility if being played on a old 3ds, whatever the reasoning the c-stick is registered as the cpp to the system, so it's not that smash can't use the cpp, it's just that it's designed not to use it on the old3ds

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i suppose the game could easily be designed to not load up cpp compatibility if being played on a old 3ds, whatever the reasoning the c-stick is registered as the cpp to the system, so it's not that smash can't use the cpp, it's just that it's designed not to use it on the old3ds

Exactly my point. Nintendo isnt dumb. They knew they could get people to buy the smash 3ds xl n then buy a new 3ds xl for the extra controls.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Exactly my point. Nintendo isnt dumb. They knew they could get people to buy the smash 3ds xl n then buy a new 3ds xl for the extra controls.
Well tbh the extra controls are hardly a big game changer, but this was discussed on here the other day and the reasoning from Nintendo was that the use of the cpp takes upto 5% of the old 3ds's cpu.....BS or not? who know's but there would be worse things they could do if they wanted to mess with old3ds users to try force them to upgrade

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gonna love it when the next update blocks them