Hacking Can the M3 DS Simply run the Wood R4 firmware?

Nottulys

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason I ask, is because I gave my old Simply to my bro, but since the firmware hasnt been updated in what it seems like forever, is there a way to run this firmware on the M3 DS Simply? Isin't the M3 DS Simply just about the same as a R4?

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah people have confirmed that it does work on the M3DS Simply, though I don't know what they do exactly, but supposedly it involves disconnecting 1 connection inside the cart.
Here is an image:
Left should be M3 Simply, right is R4. You will notice the lack of soldering iron on the left side of the pcb board on the R4.
http://scorpei.com/pictures_M3&R4/PCB_front(big).jpg

Rob_Threat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nottulys said:
The reason I ask, is because I gave my old Simply to my bro, but since the firmware hasnt been updated in what it seems like forever, is there a way to run this firmware on the M3 DS Simply? Isin't the M3 DS Simply just about the same as a R4?

It runs great on M3DSSimply. Just drop the files on the microSD.

M3DSS and the original R4 are exactly the same. Made in the same factory for GBalpha. Jumpers on the circuit board are the only difference.

All homebrew that runs on R4 will run on M3DSS.

Wood is awesome on M3DSS... just like having an AceKard RPG (at least in looks)
smile.gif

Good luck, and good looking out for your brother.

yaynds.gif

Uncout

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jurassicplayer said:
Yeah people have confirmed that it does work on the M3DS Simply, though I don't know what they do exactly, but supposedly it involves disconnecting 1 connection inside the cart.
Here is an image:
Left should be M3 Simply, right is R4. You will notice the lack of soldering iron on the left side of the pcb board on the R4.
http://scorpei.com/pictures_M3&R4/PCB_front(big).jpg

The card with the connections was an older card, they released a revised version that didn't have them so you couldn't switch between the two. Doesn't matter though, wood works on it though without any modification, at least v1.04 does, but I can't imagine the newer release won't, hope that helps.

grcd

Trophies
XP
Country
It runs great on M3DSSimply. Just drop the files on the microSD.

M3DSS and the original R4 are exactly the same. Made in the same factory for GBalpha. Jumpers on the circuit board are the only difference.

All homebrew that runs on R4 will run on M3DSS.

Wood is awesome on M3DSS... just like having an AceKard RPG (at least in looks)
smile.gif

Good luck, and good looking out for your brother.

yaynds.gif

So, does that mean we need to open our M3 Simply and de-solder these connection points, as seen here?

M3-Simply-R4-Solder-Points.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Slandering the peach lol