Hacking Can the extra RAM of the Supercard DSTWO be used to run the official DS browser?

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I was wondering about that... since the DSTWO has extra ram, cant this be used for the DS browser and other stuff that uses it?
It'd be neat, instead of having to get an EZ-3-in-1...

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I do not believe so. The SCDS2 extra RAM uses a significantly different interface and would not be accessible by the DS processor (which is the one OperaDS uses) in the same way Slot-2 RAM is. Furthermore, OperaDS relies on the high bandwidth of the parallel GBA port, which offers speeds Slot-1 cannot provide. Making it compatible would require significant changes to the program architechture, which border on impossibility without access to the soruce code.

Keep in mind that this is nothing more than an educated guess, I do not have the same insight into the DS/GBA/SCDS2/Opera internals that homebrew or official developers might have.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is a really terrible browser anyway, but I have had it working using my old G6 flash as the slot 2 cart, I would imagine a used G6 is worth a fair bit less than a 3-in-1, though I could be wrong.

Honestly even the Dsi browser is sorely lacking, what the DS needs is something like the Skyfire cellphone app that streams web pages to mobile devices via a remote server.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."