Hacking Can the DsTWO run these gba full speed?

anab0lic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Have been thinking about picking up a dstwo for a while now for my ds and 3ds and was wondering if it can emulate the following full speed without problems?

- Golden sun 1 & 2
- Zelda Minish cap
- Fire emblem 1 & 2

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To the title question, no.
You can run some games at normal speed if you do things like turn off sound etc.

My Samsung Galaxy S4 runs GBA games, PS1 games, and many N64 games at full speed.

DS mode is pretty limited though. I am surprised it can GBA games as well as it does given how many emulators on Android have not even perfected it yet.

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can run some games at normal speed if you do things like turn off sound etc.

No, you don't need to turn off sound. All these games run with 60 emulated fps (full speed), when under frame skip 1.

Also, I haven't much experience with fire emblem freezing on me.

My Samsung Galaxy S4 runs GBA games, PS1 games, and many N64 games at full speed.

DS mode is pretty limited though. I am surprised it can GBA games as well as it does given how many emulators on Android have not even perfected it yet.

It's not on the DS, it's being run on the DSTWO.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you don't need to turn off sound. All these games run with 60 emulated fps (full speed), when under frame skip 1.

Also, I haven't much experience with fire emblem freezing on me.

It's not on the DS, it's being run on the DSTWO.

I understand that it uses the DStwo's coprocessors, but they are rather slow as well. I am impressed by the efficiency of the emulator.

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I understand that it uses the DStwo's coprocessors, but they are rather slow as well. I am impressed by the efficiency of the emulator.

Oh... ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. I agree, the quality of the emulation on the DSTWO's processors is rather impressive.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Actually the DSTwo runs GBA games just fine. I think you might be thinking of this
http://gbatemp.net/threads/gbaemu4ds-gba-emulator-for-ds-i-dsi-entry.281715/

You can't compare an android phone with
System Chip: Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 APQ8064T
Processor: Quad core, 1900 MHz, Krait 300
Graphics processor: Adreno 320
System memory: 2048 MB RAM

To the Supercard DSTwo with a CPU of like 396MHz and 32MB of RAM as well it doesn't use the DS's hardware for GBA emulation, so there's no extra CPU nor RAM from the DS to help with the emulation. But the DSTwo was pretty much made for GBA emulation though.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh so I take it all the DS2 emulators are running on the flash carts processors? I tried using the mame emulator once to run some very old/basic roms like Galaga and Joust and it just choked and ran them at unbearable speeds....makes sense now. This is why I keep my old Supercard SD around to use on my DS Lite.....gives me a nice mix of DS and GBA games all on the same cart and can slap it in the old GB SP (model with the extra light level) and use it that way as well.

One thing I don't like about DS2 is the battery life of the DS/3DS takes a hit because of the extra processing....

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Actually the DSTwo runs GBA games just fine. I think you might be thinking of this

To the Supercard DSTwo with a CPU of like 396MHz and 32MB of RAM as well it doesn't use the DS's hardware for GBA emulation, so there's no extra CPU nor RAM from the DS to help with the emulation. But the DSTwo was pretty much made for GBA emulation though.

No, I am still using an old version.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I remember my 400 mhz ARM Dell Axim struggled to run SNES games. You usually had to turn off the sound to get most games to run at full speed without slowdowns.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh so I take it all the DS2 emulators are running on the flash carts processors? I tried using the mame emulator once to run some very old/basic roms like Galaga and Joust and it just choked and ran them at unbearable speeds....makes sense now. This is why I keep my old Supercard SD around to use on my DS Lite.....gives me a nice mix of DS and GBA games all on the same cart and can slap it in the old GB SP (model with the extra light level) and use it that way as well.

One thing I don't like about DS2 is the battery life of the DS/3DS takes a hit because of the extra processing....

Yes, the DSTwo specific emulators are. However, the SDK was horribly inefficient at the time until Pate went in and fixed it after extensive reverse engineering and thus the only emulators that are anywhere close to optimized are DS2x86 (as that was why Pate helped fix the SDK), TempGBA, and CatSFC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all