Hacking can the dstt run other rom managers?

kek1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well im getting a dstt so idk if this will work yet or if it will royally screw over my dstt, but is it possible to load a different rom manager say the new itouchds interface (just an example) instead of the dstt manager provided as firmware off its site? both you download the manager through firmware, but the question is will they work? i dont think its been tried b4 or at least that i know of.

im new here so if its been asked or talked about b4 just post a link and that'll be fine.
or move this where you think this should go, im still unfamiliar with all the threads.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In general, a flash cart's firmware is specific to its hardware. So, no, you cannot use the iTouchDS menu with the DSTT.

There is a homebrew menu system for the DSTT called YSMenu. YSMenu uses the official DSTT loader (which actually loads and runs the games), but has a custom user interface.

The Supercard DS One apparently has very similar hardware to the DSTT, and therefore can run the DSTT menu and YSMenu. However, the DSTT cannot properly run the Supercard DS One menu system. It's possible someone might eventually be able to get the Supercard DS One menu to run on the DSTT but I don't know anyone who is trying to do that.

-Bri

kek1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ty for the quick reply
biggrin.gif

ill look into the ysmenu but still wouldn't mind trying to get the itouch menu to work on the dstt, just for fun. if it doesn't work do you think there'd be any risk causing permanent damage?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You'll probably get the "Menu?" icon that comes up when the DSTT can't find the menu. You'd have to probably rename the iTouch menu to TTMENU.DAT to get it to even attempt to load it, in which case it will probably whitescreen unless it turns out that the iTouch hardware is very similar to the DSTT hardware (I'm fairly certain it's not). But I don't know if it can possibly damage anything.

-Bri

apocalypticvisio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since DSOrganize is free to modify with all those libraries around, do you think maybe with the src of that and the src of the ttmenu, you could make it run hardware specific as a bootable, all you would need is the srcs that would run the cheats, rumble, and expansion access. take two things that run will and combine them, or just use parts of DSO in the TTDS firmware/os....trying to find this stuff out myself

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure I understand your question.

There are actually two parts to the firmware: the loader and the menu (graphical user interface). There are some custom menus for various carts, but they usually use the proprietary loaders that are part of the official firmware. So, you could potentially modify DSOrganize (or Moonshell) to act as a menu system, but you'd still need to use the official firmware's loader. That means that you couldn't add certain functionality that's not already built into the loader.

-Bri

apocalypticvisio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The os would be DSO, the loader would remain the same, but since it is the os side that controls how rumble or anything else would be activated, you could potentially modify dso to be the os of the dstt, and by additions, make it able to do everything that everyone is asking for, but it has to include the source of the original loader, much like yasu did for ysmenu by taking key files from the ttmenu.dat

apocalypticvisio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because it would be an end all to the complaining of what does what. You get YSMenu so that you can get a different menu style and folder views. You use DSO to obviously organize, webview, all kindsa stuff....just make a prog that does it all, or modify a prog to do it all, or mostly everything at least. just an idea i was looking into. doubt i'll ever really build it, but just thinking out loud.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end