Gaming Can`t boot into Windows

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a netbook with Windows 7 that works perfectly. I decided for some reason to install Windows XP to be able to dual boot, but now I have a problem, I get an error when I turn on my computer:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for aditional information.

Now, I can`t get past this screen. If I push a button, it just reboots my computer and everything happens again.
I have gone to the XP recovery console, and tried the bootcfg commands to fix this problem and make my computer able to boot normally, but that doesn´t do anything at all. It just keeps coming back to the error.

Also, for some reason, when I´m in the recovery console, for some reason my partitions show as F:/ for my Windows 7 drive, and E:/ for my Windows XP partition.
ohnoes.png
/ is used for my USB stick that I´m using to install Windows XP.

I also tried replacing ntoskrnl.exe, but that didn`t work either.

So what can I do to fix this problem? I have a USB that I can boot from, is there a program that I can use to change my boot and be able to get into my Windows 7 and erase my XP stuff? I figured that if its being so hard just to boot to XP, I probably don`t need it.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would try to grab a GParted LiveCD (which can be installed onto a USB) and set the WIn 7 partition to active. Once booted, you can use EasyBCD to add Win XP to the Windows Boot Manager and add an entry for it to choose from upon boot.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Press the "Start" menu ->type "create and format hard disk partitions" and click the program showed up with that name-> a new window will come up with all partitions, right click the windows xp partition formate it, after that right click the same partition again, and shrink it as much as possible, this will merge the partition with the original one

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
He used a USB to install XP. That right there is the problem. The default configuration for an XP boot is on disk0, partition0. Since, he had Windows 7 on that partition already he won't read it correctly and by installing XP he overwrote the bootloader. What you can attempt to do is use a Linux LiveUSB to try to GRUB into your XP partition. Once you get into it, it'll auto set your XP drive correctly. Afterward, use a Windows 7 USB to repair and get the dual boot options for Windows 7 and XP.

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CrimzonEyed said:
Press the "Start" menu ->type "create and format hard disk partitions" and click the program showed up with that name-> a new window will come up with all partitions, right click the windows xp partition formate it, after that right click the same partition again, and shrink it as much as possible, this will merge the partition with the original one
What do you mean by the "Start" menu? I can`t get acces to windows, just the recovery mode

QUOTE(tk_saturn @ Jul 27 2010, 02:30 AM) Use this program http://rapidshare.com/files/269611722/bootsect.exe.html type "bootsect /nt60 SYS" to boot Windows 7, and "bootsect /nt52 SYS" to boot XP. It can also be found on the Windows 7 Install DVD.
I don`t get what you`re trying to say, where should I use the program?

I gonna try and boot into GParted

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, for some reason it doesn`t show in the boot list, it just boots into Windows XP, and there is no list od OSesç

On windows recovery, when I use the command `bootcfg /scan`, which shows the OSes I can boot to, I only the the option to boot to the drive with Windows XP, it doesn`t show the drive for Windows 7, though I`m able to change directory to that drive and look at my files

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As I stated. Once you get XP to boot, it will overwrite the bootloader for Windows 7. You need either have Win 7 on a disc or on a USB and boot into the Windows 7 repair console and let it do it's thing. That will automatically fix the dual boot using the Windows 7 bootloader.

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
As I stated. Once you get XP to boot, it will overwrite the bootloader for Windows 7. You need either have Win 7 on a disc or on a USB and boot into the Windows 7 repair console and let it do it's thing. That will automatically fix the dual boot using the Windows 7 bootloader.
My netbook didn`t come with any discs
ohnoes.png

And how can I use Linux Live USB to GRUB into my XP partition?

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hold on. Take a step back dude.

Can you boot into XP now?

Do you know if there's a recovery partition on the netbook?

If you don't have a recovery disc then you'll have to find a way to get a hold of a Windows 7 disc somehow. Once you get a hold of a Windows 7 disc, you can use http://wudt.codeplex.com/ to make a bootable USB drive to repair the bootloader.

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can`t boot into any OS now. I haven`t changed anything since I made this post, since I`m kinda lost.
There is a 192MB partition on my netbook that I`ve not created and its recgonized as the C: drive, maybe its for recovery?

Jiggah, you`re saying that my bootloader is screwed up, are you talking about my boot.ini file? Maybe I could go on a Live Linux thing and edit it manually

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Run the bootsect.exe file tk_saturn linked to you in Win XP. Follow the command to boot Win 7. That will reinstall the Win 7 bootloader. Once in Win 7, you can use EasyBCD to add Win XP to the Windows Boot Manager screen.

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
Run the bootsect.exe file tk_saturn linked to you in Win XP. Follow the command to boot Win 7. That will reinstall the Win 7 bootloader. Once in Win 7, you can use EasyBCD to add Win XP to the Windows Boot Manager screen.
There is no way to boot to any Windows, either XP or 7.

I have installed Ubuntu, which also installed GRUB, so I can now edit the commands before booting onto windows 7. I should mention that only windows 7 shows up, and choosing that brings me to the same error that I mentioned on the OP. I can load onto Linux if that can help

edit: I found the boot.ini file, there is no mention of Windows 7 anywhere.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My assumption is that since this is a netbook, it has no CD-drive. I have a way to fix this using a bootable USB but it requires the Windows application EasyBCD and using the option of "ISO Boot" under "Add New Entries" to "burn" a Win 7 Recovery Disc to a USB, boot the USB from the netbook and run the commands needed to reinstall the Win 7 bootloader. Follow this guide to install the Win 7 bootloader using the Win 7 Recovery Disc. From there you can install EasyBCD to Win 7 and add XP to the Windows Boot Manager and maybe even Ubuntu.

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a VERY old laptop that I`m using right now to post these messages with Windows 2000, would that work?

Can`t I just modify the boot.ini file?

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MarioBrotha said:
I have a VERY old laptop that I`m using right now to post these messages with Windows 2000, would that work?

Can`t I just modify the boot.ini file?
Perhaps but I don't know the exact parameters of adding an OS to the boot.ini. Maybe someone else does. I usually have EasyBCD do it for me. Look back at my other post as I've edited it since you last read it.

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I read through your last edited post and you`re telling me I can download the windows 7 repair disc from the internet, burn in onto a USB stick, and fix my boot problems.
Sounds good, though you didn`t tell me how I can put the .iso file with the windiws 7 repair stuff onto my USB stick, how can I do that?

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MarioBrotha said:
Ok, I read through your last edited post and you`re telling me I can download the windows 7 repair disc from the internet, burn in onto a USB stick, and fix my boot problems.
Sounds good, though you didn`t tell me how I can put the .iso file with the windiws 7 repair stuff onto my USB stick, how can I do that?
Using EasyBCD on you WIn 2000 computer. Install it on Win 2000 and under the "Add New Entries" button you'll find a tab that says "ISO Boot". Load the Win 7 Recovery Disc and select your USB. Also check "Force Portable Entry" if possible. It should create a bootable Win 7 Recovery Disc. Boot from that onto your netbook and follow the guide linked in my last post.

MarioBrotha

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
MarioBrotha said:
Using EasyBCD on you WIn 2000 computer. Install it on Win 2000 and under the "Add New Entries" button you'll find a tab that says "ISO Boot". Load the Win 7 Recovery Disc and select your USB. Also check "Force Portable Entry" if possible. It should create a bootable Win 7 Recovery Disc. Boot from that onto your netbook and follow the guide linked in my last post.
Ok I`m going to try this, thought with my uber slow network (now the one on my sig) its going to take a while to download the .iso file

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.